Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Default Another set of Cash Questions...

Hubby and I are boarding the Carnival Inspiration this Saturday for our first cruise and we're trying to decide how much cash to bring with us. We don't want to carry too much because of the risks but we don't want to be caught empty handed either.

1. I've been told that on the ship we can use our Sign & Sail account for just about any purchase, are there any exceptions we should be aware of?

2. I despise using my CC in foreign countries becuase of the fees. We're stopping at Grand Cayman and Cozumel, do they accept $US or should we be prepared to exchange?

3. If we are forced to use CCs, are there any scams or other problems we should be aware of?

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I like to plan around $100 per day, that more than covers shopping, etc. Depending on how much you may gamble onboard will determine how much you may need. Its always nice to have enough and go home with some. All those islands accept American $, just beware of any conversions. They also accept major CC's. as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Another set of Cash Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trintrin86
Hubby and I are boarding the Carnival Inspiration this Saturday for our first cruise and we're trying to decide how much cash to bring with us.
Everything you spend onboard the ship can go on your Sign & Sail card. You back that up with a credit card when you embark, and at the end of the cruise, Carnival will just run the total bill right through to your credit card. You really need almost no cash whatsoever onboard the ship ... with the possible exception of some bills for tipping at the end of the cruise, should you choose to do that. Most of your tips, as well, will be on your Sign & Sail card ... in the form of the $10 per day auto-tip.

Good ole US of A greenbacks will be fine on Caribbean islands. They all only too glad to accept them. No need to use a credit card if you'd prefer not to.

Blue skies and have a wonderful cruise!

--rita
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know everyone thinks they're old fashioned but if you bring traveller's cheques instead of all cash, you can exchange them at the Purser's desk. It's just a little safer than traveling around with hundreds of dollars and always worrying about theft. (whether in your room or out and about)

At the end of your cruise if you have any left over, you can either stash them for your next trip or pay down your sail and sign acct.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi CCB,
I also like to do that, they are good at home anywhere, just a lot safer than cash.

Message Boards Moderator