CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   Booking my 1st cruise departing next month from Charleston! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/359972-booking-my-1st-cruise-departing-next-month-charleston.html)

zightlight January 7th, 2009 11:46 PM

Booking my 1st cruise departing next month from Charleston!

Hello Friends!

I'm temporarily living in Charleston, SC where my husband is a resident. Yesterday I was given the an opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream - MY FIRST CRUISE!!! HOORAY!!! We have chosen the Norwegian Majesty cruise departing from Charleston on February 21st, because February 24th is our wedding anniversary and because according to cruisehotsheet it was one of the more affordable dates. (Cost is a primary concern.)

We picked this cruise because I thought it would be more affordable than adding the inconvenience and additional cost of transportation for four people from Charleston to a Florida port, even for a cruise with fewer days. (Am I right about that?) Our party consists of two seniors, my husband (a South Carolina resident) and me. We would like two rooms with AT LEAST one of them AT LEAST a category GG. As far as I can tell, that is the least expensive ocean view category that isn't blocked by life rafts. An ocean view would be SO wonderful… even if it’s a tiny window. I assume two rooms is the most affordable option since my husband is a night owl and my parents are morning larks. (I won’t be getting much sleep!)

In addition to any other advice or suggestions, my primary concern is how to find two rooms at the best value possible. How can you tell if there will really be a view of the ocean rather than a blocked view?

I heard that you have to be careful about the agency you book through, because not everything is included with every agency. I understand that some agencies offer additional benefits. How much additional money should I factor in for expenses not included in the fare?

Forgive my ignorance. Thank you, thank you, and thank you for your time!

Ann

PS I am posting this on two message boards here, in hopes that it will reach someone that might be able to offer suggestions.

dina January 15th, 2009 07:20 PM

Hi Ann *waves* Welcome to Cruisemates

I looked at the layout of the ship. It looks like all Ocean Views from Majesty deck on down won't have any problems with obstructed view. basically the lower down the ship you go, the less expensive the cabins get. The least expensive cabins are located on the bottom deck and are the inside cabins. Sometimes you can get great deals or upgraded if you choose to book guaranteed but that will not ensure that you will have your cabin next to whom your traveling with.

I would suggest you get travel insurance. You never know if something will come up and you don't want to lose the money you paid for your cruise.

There are always extras that you will pay for on your cruise. These will go on your ship board credit line that you pay when you settle your bill at the end of your cruise.

zightlight February 2nd, 2009 08:38 PM

Thanks Carolin!

We booked a "guaranteed" cabin in the hopes of getting a better room. According to my cruise documents, I'm on Deck 8 AFT. I don't know if that's permanent or not. Whatever it is, I know it will be just great. :)

Thank you for your suggestions!
Ann