Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
Beginner

Default What is included in the price of the cruise?

I am curious especially if the trip from the cruise ship to the shore is included or does that cost money? I am quite fine with planning my own on-shore excursions, but I want to know if I can simply get to shore without paying extra at each stop?

Also, I understand that meals are included in the price, but is that only for certain restaurants or do they give you a meal ticket that is a certain price point, or what? Also, I am a vegetarian, if that makes a difference?

How much extra money do you think I should have for "everything else" that is not included in the price of the ticket, provided I were to do things as cheaply as possible?

Thank you for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

No, it never costs anything to get off the ship. Some ports are tender ports and that is included in your cruise price.

Any speciality restaurant is also extra, along with drinks, even soda and bottled water. Iced tea, coffee, milk is included.

Any shore excursions are also extra. I always plan on $100 per day and always have some extra.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Not sure which cruise line you've booked, but all ships that I have been on have a 'formal' dining room and a buffet. These are included in the price. Also, there will be times when they set up food poolside. This can be BarBQ or a Mexican Fiesta or Chocolate Extraveganza.... also included. On some Royal Caribbean there are also small areas where food is available, at no extra charge. On Royal Caribbean, sushi costs extra, on Carnival it is no charge. Room service is no charge, except for a small tip for the person who delivers it. Most of the newer ships have specialty restaurants that have a surcharge. The food at these restaurants is very good and the surcharge will vary from $5 - $30 or so, depending on whether it is Johnny Rockets (hamburgers) on RCCL o a steakhouse.

You need to expect to pay gratuities. Most cruise lines will automatically add this to your account, in the amount of approx $10 per day/per person. At your discretion, you can increase or decrease this amount, if the service is below or above your expectations.

I don't know if this is more information than you needed, but I just thought I'd throw it out there for you!

As Donna said, $100 per day (for a couple) is more than enough, unless you order lots of drinks. BTW, mixed drinks will be approx $6 each.

Cruising is the best bargain for a vacation, and knowing the costs up front can help you be informed, before you leave!

Welcome to our world! I love it!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Beginner

Thank you for your responses. You have been very helpful!

Another question that I have now is whether you pay for things (like drinks for example) when you buy them, or do they add them to your tab and bill you for everything at the end of the cruise?

Because I can see how things might add up if you are not keeping track of your spending as you go!

Also, is it clear what costs money and what doesn't? Is it clearly posted, or do I have to ask every time?
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Familiar Face

on carnival for instance you have a sail and sign card, they use that card to put all your drinks on your bill that you pay at the end, but you can always check the pursers desk daily to see what your balance is.

~Carnival Inspiration May 2009~
~Carnival Imagination Sept 2007~
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Passenger

The usual way to buy drinks is to charge it to your room key card. I'm not sure whether you could actually buy a drink with cash, if you wanted to. Does anyone know for sure?

Apparently, when you board the ship, servers often will offer you a drink. First-time cruisers sometimes make the mistake of thinking that the drink is free, when it isn't.

I think that the best advice is to do research beforehand on the particular cruise line you're taking, to learn exactly what is free and what isn't. These things can differ slightly from line to line.
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

[color=darkblueNo, you can't use cash while onboard, just your sign/sail card for drinks. Its basically a casless society.[/color]

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Admiral

You never pay for a drink when you get it, you just sign for it and it is on your final bill.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10