Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Captain

My wife and I have been married for 27 years I just turned 50 and my wife is a couple years younger.We are going on are first cruise in march 14 day cruise to hawwaii on the sapphire prinice.We wanted to go for are 25th anniverasary but some bussiness problems had to be taken care of. the reason we chose this cruise was my wife always wanted to go to hawaii and I always wanted to go on a cruise.Wehave to kids both girls ages 26 and 22.We live in the pacific nortwest in a smallcoastal town.Both my wife and I have a considerable amount of time on the ocean.I spent 15 years working the commercial fishing industry,The last 4 years as releave captain.My wife would make some trips with me which were 5 day trips on a 75 foot offshore dragger. I think thats why I wanted to go on a cruise To get back out the ocean they say it gets in you blood. I know work in the timber industery and get to be home every night. I dont really have any big worrys about the cruise just alot of little questions about how everything works which they have all been answered here and I would like to thank everyone for taking there time to help us you all seem so nice.I am sure I will have more first timer questions like do they let you take the towells from the ship to the beach with you?Wel l I think I have rambled on long enough. thanks everyone one more time Smooth sailing to all and may you always have following seas
Old February 6th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Congrats Dhill,
I think both your and your wife will love Princess to Hawaii. Only now, you won't be working, you can enjoy the ship, sun, water and wonderful ports to visit.

Have a wonderful time and please do check back on the boards after your cruise and tell us all about it.

Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Welcome Newcomer

1. some basics: gender,age range,marital status,dependents Female, 24-26, married, 2 kids ages 1 & 3

2. what took you so long to book a cruise, and why? School, I was in college so I didn't take a vacation in a long time, my husband and I have been taking all inclusive vacas since 2008 and decided its time to give crusing a try

3. what made you decide on the itinery you chose- PRICE, we got a great deal and couldn't pass it u[

4. biggest worry or concearn since booking- that my new passport won't be here on time, we could always use our birth certificates (DH would prob. have to file for a new one since the passport app. will have his, I am renewing so my old passport is enough ID), but I would be scared when we first board and in Cozumel

5. current uncertainty or question- has anyone ever gone on a cruise without their passports (I am going from MIA to Key West, to Cozumel, to MIA)
This was a great post!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

1. some basics: gender,age range,marital status,dependents
Female, 35, married, do dogs count as dependents? lol
2. what took you so long to book a cruise, and why?
I have always wanted to try one, but my hubby isn't a traveler.
3. what made you decide on the itinery you chose
We haven't booked yet, but our friends took a cruise in September and loved it. They are exactly like hubby and me so we thought we'd give it a shot
4. biggest worry or concearn since booking
Hubby getting sea sick, having an anxiety attack, not having fun, getting bored, picking the wrong excursions
5. current uncertainty or question
My biggest uncertainty is when we snorkel, do they give you a floatie of some sort? I am not a very good swimmer
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Hi Yamaha,
Chances are, once you get your husband to do, he'll love it and want to do it again. The ships these days a so large and use stablizers, so you don't feel a lot of motion, so he may be fine.

As for a floaty device when snorkeling, they all pretty much make everyone wear one, you can inflate it a lot or a little....

Just look at all the excursions online and figure out what you both want to do on each port.

What ship are you thinking about?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi I am female in her fifties teo daughters aged 40 and 37 I have two gransons 22 and 2 and they are brothers. I first went on a cruise to the med for 14 days in 2001 and got the cruise bug. Been to the caribbean numerous times which I prefer my next cruise is a transatlantic from Barbados to Southampton this month. As i am on my own the cruises are getting to be very expensive due to the single supplement. I will keep my fingers crossed as I would like to go another one in either Oct or Nov. My wishlist at the moment is to save up to do a cruise around Australia and New Zealand my younger sister lives in New Zealand and it would be great to see her and her family.
Mary
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Hi Yamaha,
Chances are, once you get your husband to do, he'll love it and want to do it again. The ships these days a so large and use stablizers, so you don't feel a lot of motion, so he may be fine.

As for a floaty device when snorkeling, they all pretty much make everyone wear one, you can inflate it a lot or a little....

Just look at all the excursions online and figure out what you both want to do on each port.

What ship are you thinking about?
Whew! I was worried they just gave you the goggles, snorkel and flippers.. i saw some pictures but couldn't tell if they had a flotation device on or if it was just to identify you with a group.
We really wanna snorkel this trip. When we went to Mexico in 2002 we were supposed to go to Xel Ha but it rained all day and never went.
We are aiming for Carnival Triumph when it comes back to Galveston. It's our 1st cruise, and the hubby was afraid he couldn't take it for 7. Our friends went on the Ecstasy in September and loved it, but wanted to see how the Triumph was since its newer and bigger than the Ecstasy.
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Post my details and concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by the witvoets View Post
1. My name is Rebecca my DH name is Michael.
OMG I never thought I would see that! My dad's name was Michael and my mom's name is Rebecca. They were married 33 years. Strange coincidence! However, they went by Mike and Becky.

Anyway, here are my responses:

1. Female, 34, single, no human kids (I do have feline dependents though.)
2. I have not booked it yet because Mom is getting ready to sell the house this year. We did not go earlier because of work, school, money, and a dad who had no interest in cruising.
3. My biggest worry is I already missed out or will miss out on the cabin I'm interested in reserving because the cruise has been on sale since March 17 and there are less than 10 cabins that match all of my criteria.
4. My current concern about cruising is not having enough time in a tender port (Santa Barbara) where the ship is anchored from 7:00 to 4:00.

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old August 24th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Take a cruise: my bucket list.

1. Male, might as well say 50 (in Oct), divorced. I have three grown children, two boys one girl. I have two grand kids and one on the way (sept).
2. I am still picking the right cruise as of today. I could have gone earlier but discouraged by people who were afraid of getting seasick or not adventurous enough.
My biggest worry. Feeling alone in a steel room.
My question? I have read there are cruises for over 40. Does this age group and higher have very small attendance?
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Admiral

I would say, depending on what cruiseline you choose, your age bracket is more the norm on most mainline cruiseships. I think you will find plenty of cruisers in that age range...Be sure to go to any meetings for singles, etc.

Do you have any preference to a ship and or itinary?

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Familiar Face

1. Some basics:
Male, 28, single, no dependents.

2. What took you so long to book a cruise, and why?
I'm not really sure. I went on a cruise once in high school with the band and had a blast. I think that with work and money and all, I just never got around to it. As for why now? Well, my girlfriend talked me into it, and cruising seems like an efficient way to go exploring.

3. What made you decide on the itinerary you chose?
It was the only one available that worked with my schedule. I'm an English teacher, and I couldn't afford (and didn't want) a summer cruise, so I picked one comfortably nestled within the confines of my Fall break.

4. Biggest worry or concern since booking.
Money, especially with my car. I just plunked about 75 to 100 dollars for new pads and rotors, and the damn things warped again after only a week! It looks like they may need replacing, and it's difficult enough setting aside spending money as it is for this cruise.

5. Current uncertainty or question.
How long can I drive on bad rotors before having to replace them? Also, what is the protocol for tipping the people who take care of my cabin? I know they expect around 10-15 bucks for every day of the cruise, but do I just hand them a 10 at the end of the day or do I just leave some cash on my pillow? Is there some way where I can tip them via card or something? I hate carrying cash with me.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Admiral

You can arrange to have the tips put on your sign/sail card, and yes, its around $10.00 a day, per person. For my next cruise, the tips had to be paid a final payment, so that is fine with me, no worry abount having $ to cover all that...

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi all! First time poster, but I've been lurking for a few weeks now as my first cruise becomes nearer on the calendar!

My husband and I live near Seattle and will be flying up to Anchorage next week to spend a few days in the city before boarding the Diamond Princess for a 7 day cruise towards Vancouver, BC. We'll stop at Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. We've never been to Alaska nor cruised before, and we are SUPER excited about this trip!!

1. I'm 28, my husband's 32, and we have no kids (but we're childish enough to compensate )
2. Neither of us has ever cruised before, and we thought it would be too expensive or too booze-oriented. A few friends at work highly recommended cruising though, so we decided to give it a try! We researched for several weeks to narrow down our choices and then took the plunge and booked a cabin.
3. We both wanted to see Alaska, and 7 days seemed like long enough to relax but not too long that we feel trapped if we aren't having a good time.
4. Biggest concerns:
- that we'll regret not getting a balcony... but surely the ship itself has windows we can look out? We could go on ANOTHER cruise for what a balcony would've cost, and 2 vacations > 1 vacation!
- that our cabin will be noisy at night due to neighbors or people above/below us
-that it might rain too much to go on our excursions
- No big burning questions here - the forums have been an excellent source of information! I think we'll have a great cruise! We're pretty easy going, love to try new things, and can't wait to see Alaska.
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Hi FF,
You must let me know how you like this cruise/itinary. I am thinking about this one for 2 years from now...I think both you and your husband will love everything about cruising...You may see some rain, but I doubt it will rain throughout your whole cruise, so don't worry about that....

I would go up on the pool decks as much possible so you don't miss anything, pack some hoodies and gloves, just in case and also some kind of rain gear. You will love all the towns and there are so many great excursions to choose from. Do you have any ideas on what you want to do at each port?

I bet you love enough to book another one, next time go for the balcony, if there is ever a cruise that it is almost a must, this would be it. Have fun and looking forward to hearing all about it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for the advice and kind words, Donna! I think we'll love the cruise, too.

There ARE so many great excursions to choose from, so many that it took us a little while to narrow it down but we have booked an excursion for each stop. In Skagway we'll do the bicycle tour, in Juneau the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest excursion, and in Ketchikan the ziplines.

If anything falls through for whatever reason, though, I'm sure we'll love exploring the towns, or we could book an alternative, or we could just stay on the ship! Either way, we're easy to entertain. Just point us in the direction of the desserts!!
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Admiral

They actually have ziplines in Ketchikan? You will have to let me know about that one, sounds great! Have a blast!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I would say, depending on what cruiseline you choose, your age bracket is more the norm on most mainline cruiseships. I think you will find plenty of cruisers in that age range...Be sure to go to any meetings for singles, etc.

Do you have any preference to a ship and or itinary?
Thanks Donna,

No cruise line preference yet. However, my first preference is to choose the cleanest, newest ship with high reviews on the accommodations. Then choose by this criteria what destinations I can afford. Although there are so many other variables, I still want my first cruise to be special.

As for the single meetings, I will take a look for a nice group to go to. I do have another question Donna. Is there more information to read about the pro & cons of sharing a cabin with a cruise mate? Possibly a book titled "novice cruise mate for dummy's" like me? Thanks
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Hi Focus,
You may also want to visit the singles and the looking for cabinmate here at Cruisemates. There is more info in those forums and you may even find someone to share your cruise with.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Familiar Face

Location: The State with 5 National Parks and the world's best skiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrobb View Post

1. some basics:

Male, 40's , married, 2 children, 2 cats[/QUOTE]

Quote:

We live 750 miles away from the nearest ocean and we would have to bring our hooligans, errrr, deliquents, errrr, I mean wonderful children or pay someone to watch them. And we have been to Mexico a few times on land-based vacations and we love those.

Quote:

I haven't chosen one yet. Next April is our 20th anniversary so I was thinking about it. I would like to go to the Caribbean. We have been to Cozumel and we love it.

Quote:

4. biggest worry or concern since booking
We haven't booked yet. Maybe we never will. I think there's a good travel agent here that we can work with.

Quote:

Bad food and expensive booze. I know where some (but not all) of the good taco carts are on Cozumel. But I don't want that to be our best meal on our trip.
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Female, turning 51 the day our cruise starts, married, have a son that turns 22 this Sunday and got married last November to a wonderful girl from Alberta, Canada so they live there now. And I have a daughter who turns 18 in November and she will be my cruise partner.

Have been wanting to take a cruise forever. Wasn't financially able and since my daughter graduates from High School next May and my birthday is in June, we decided to make it a combined present to the both of us.

We are going to Florida and Bahamas. I was looking at a cruise to New England and Canada because I prefer cooler weather. But my daughter has been seeing the commercials on TV for the Atlantis Hotel and has never seen the ocean or a beach. So I let her pick it. I lived in Hawaii for 4 years so I could really care less about going to the beach!

Going to sound silly but I've never hailed a cab before! We will be flying into NYC the night before and I can make arrangements for transportation from the airport to the hotel ahead of time. But when we get back into port, I will have to get transportation from the port to LGA. That's truly my biggest fear! And also the worry of whether or not my 18 year old is going to get bored hanging out with her mother for a week! She's on the shy side so not apt to go out looking to meet others.

Can't think of anything at the moment but I'm sure closer it gets the more that I'll start questioning!

Read and post cruise reviews

Last edited by perkydebrajean; September 30th, 2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: bad habit of not proofreading first!
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Admiral

When you get back to port in NY, the cabs will be lined up, you shouldn't have to, so called, hail one. I wouldn't worry about it at all, plus there will be cruiseline personnel close by for any help, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:53 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Welcome to the best online community of fellow cruisers. The best answers and most advice for all the first timers out there. Just thought I 'd try something different. A few questions if you will, to help you fit in, share some info about yourself and reason to cruise, and to help introduce yourself to all the veteran cruisers out there. They have all been there, done that and have that knowledge and experience to help you make that first experience a smooth and relaxing one.

I'll begin if it makes you comfortable

Hi to all:

1. I am late 40's, my DH is late 50's, we have four kids between us, the last child, a daughter in High School, two sons graduated, both in college, one living the bachelor life.

2. Couldn't afford, still not sure we can, after you add up all the "additional costs".

3. Again, cost. We haven't booked yet and hope the prices will drop in January for an April cruise.

4. Uncertain of what to do in Nassau and Freeport-concerned we will miss the ship if we go out on our own.
Old October 14th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I am from Fairfax and fond of traveling. I like to do camping on hilly areas and make it adventurous. I've planned to spend some holiday in a cruise but its so far from me.
Old October 14th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Admiral

MJ,
Where abouts in the US are you? I am from the midwest, so no close cruise port, but there are planes....I hope you get to do your cruise someday, with a lot of good planning and reading all you can, you should always be able to have a great cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile

Hi, I'm Sara. I live in upstate, NY. I'm a high school special ed and history teacher. I'll be turning 30 next month. I'm currently single and technically without dependents. However, I recently moved home to help care for my mother and grandfather who are both in poor health. They are kind of like dependents, but I don't get to tell them what to do..

I have been serious about taking a cruise since about a year ago. I wanted to get one to celebrate receiving tenure last spring, but awful fuel costs ate up my budget.

I have always wanted to visit the Mayan ruins, so that made Cozumel my main choice. I also want to have some dolphin/turtle interaction so that had to be available for a second choice (which would be Grand Cayman.)

Placement of my room on Carnival Paradise, Empress level.. it's an upper/lower.. is the upper always out or will it be up against the wall?

I'd really love to know more about how the day works when you're at port. I assume you get off and go directly to your shore excursion.. but when it's over - then what? Does the excursion bring you back to the boat/tender area? Is there a beach you can wander to? I'd be interested to hear a play by play of what the day would be like.
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Yes, normally, when your excursion is over, they return you to the ship. If there is still a good amount of time left, you can explore on your own if you are in a port that has a main shopping area. Most do, for obvious reasons....

What are your ports?

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Welcome Newcomer

My ports are Cozumel and Grand Cayman
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Sara,
Keep in mind, Grand Cayman is a tender port, so allow some time at the end of the tour to get back to the ship. They like you back at least an hour before they sail.

Message Boards Moderator