Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Atention all First time cruisers..

Welcome to the best online community of fellow cruisers. The best answers and most advice for all the first timers out there. Just thought I 'd try something different. A few questions if you will, to help you fit in, share some info about yourself and reason to cruise, and to help introduce yourself to all the veteran cruisers out there. They have all been there, done that and have that knowledge and experience to help you make that first experience a smooth and relaxing one.

1. some basics: gender,age range,marital status,dependents
2. what took you so long to book a cruise, and why?
3. what made you decide on the itinery you chose
4. biggest worry or concearn since booking
5. current uncertainty or question

I'll begin if it makes you comfortable
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

1. My wife and 4 children (ages 3-19) and I moved down here to TN a few years ago from NY, and are in our mid 30s.
2. Wife and I have flown to a couple of all inclusive resorts.We have always wanted to cruise, but never actualy had the means (time or financialy) to go on one, nor did we even look to see the relatively cheaper prices. Too many of lifes demands ( working two jobs,coaching youth sports) seemed to take up all of our time.
3. We chose to sail out of Mobile on a 4 day. It was a port I could drive to, and a shorter length to get us accustomed to the cruising world.
4. Biggest worry..well I've seen the movie Titantic too many times perhaps..lol I also worry about the ship stranding us in a foreign port.
5. Everything you need to know is right on these boards. My biggest question now is what excursion do I try, or do I just beach it..
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi MrRob,
What ports will you be visiting, that would help to give you suggestions on what to do where?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes ma'am, miss Donna. Just one port, Cozumel, for THIS cruise, as I'm already itching to book another. I know the port is mainly recognized for its coral reef and Mayan ruins. My wife and I went out on a boat in Jamaica and snorkeled there. I enjoyed it, but she couldn't get the concept of breathing thru her mouth..lol It'll be our first cruise for our anniversary. We may just find a cab to an inclusive beach, and then do some shopping (her anyways).. still not sure
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi again Mr.Robb,
I know getting the hang of snorkeling can take a little time, but once you do, its great.

How about swimming with the dolphins?? They offer that at Chankanaab Park. You can book that by going to Dolphin Discovery. You can also just grab a cab and go to the park, great snorkeling and a huge beach. Nice way to spend a few hours. Its also a nice town to walk through, shop, sight see, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Martha C

1. Hubby and I moved to Southern NV, from Los Angeles almost 15 years ago. We have one son, 19 in college, still lives at home. We are in our late 40's.
2. I have a phobia of being on the open water and enclosed places.
3. We are doing Carnival Elation to Ensenada, out of San Diego. We choose it because it was recommended for first time curiser and I was able to get a balcony for a great deal.
4. Being seasick. I felt really bad on the ferry going to Catalina Island, but I haven't been on anything bigger than that. Also, being cold in the cabin. I understand the cabins are not heated and we are going in December.
5. My two biggest questions: How is the winery tour in Ensenada and what do the Cat 12 suites look like after the update? Oh and is decaf Green Tea available on the ship or should I bring my own for my evening cup??

This was a great idea!!

Old April 14th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well Ms Martha, welcome. I am too sort of new here myself. Any question you may have can be answered here, in the appropriate category. I can probably guarantee that someone will know the answer, and have been on the same ship or itinery as you planned.
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to sanuk4u
Default Re: Atention all First time cruisers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrobb
Welcome to the best online community of fellow cruisers. The best answers and most advice for all the first timers out there. Just thought I 'd try something different. A few questions if you will, to help you fit in, share some info about yourself and reason to cruise, and to help introduce yourself to all the veteran cruisers out there. They have all been there, done that and have that knowledge and experience to help you make that first experience a smooth and relaxing one.

1. 27, F, Single, None (sister (25) also crusing with me)
2. Something different and seems reasonable and fun
3. Adventure. Love outdoor things and trying out experiences not offered in AZ. i.e. whale watching, rapelling/rock climbing, and ziplining
4. That there will be no one my age to hang out with or meet
5. If I will get sea sick easily...or attacked by mosquitoes. .

Happy Sailings!

Old May 16th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Passenger

Default Not booked yet, but here are my details

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrobb View Post
1. Gender, age range, marital status, dependents
2. What took you so long to book a cruise, and why?
3. What made you decide on the itinerary you chose?
4. What was your biggest worry or concern since booking?
5. Current uncertainty or question
1. Female, 30-35, single, none
2. I am waiting for my mom to retire in 2012.
3. Right now my biggest problem is choosing one.
4. Dress code on casual days (will sail on Crystal)
5. Is 226 sf really as small as it looks in pictures?
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Martha,

Who told you the cabins aren't heated? That is bogus. Each cabin has its own temp control.

The Elation will be nothing like being on a fishing trawler. However, if you're prone to motion sickness, bring meds with you that you've tried out beforehand. Do not wait until you're ready to vomit to take the meds. By then it's too late.

Have a great first cruise!
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Beginner

1. male, 35-40, single, none
2. Just never felt that interested in a cruise until recently.
3. Location first, and a low singles supplement was secondary.
4. Biggest concern? Wondering how many other people in their 30s will be on the cruise on Celebrity Millenium.
5. Is there any site similar to SeatGuru that gives you good information on which cabins are good/bad?
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to heatherjd9376 Send a message via Yahoo to heatherjd9376
Thumbs up Just my opinion of a first time cruise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanuk4u View Post
3. Adventure. Love outdoor things and trying out experiences not offered in AZ. i.e. whale watching, rapelling/rock climbing, and ziplining

I am single, 33, and just returned from my first cruise on Conquest out of Galveston Texas to Western Caribbean. Here is my opinion: I was in room 1207, bottom floor, 4th room from the nose of the ship. I was about 30 feet off of the water, had 2 portholes in my room which allowed a great view as we were entering into port, and it was the cheapest room left to book. Very much recommended. I would choose the room if I have the opportunity to go again. I could see the spray off of the waves as they bounced from the front of the ship.
As far as excursions, I took a Mountain Valley Rafting trip in Jamaica but could see the zipline above the river and they looked like they were having a spectacular time. I am afraid of heights so I had a great time watching from the river and getting a foot massage on the creekside. In Montego Bay I went to the Turtle Farm and swam in the lagoon with the fish and turtles. It was awesome for me but not really for the adventurous. In Cozumel, my other single table-mate and I went shopping and took a taxi to Paradise Beach. It was remarkable. It was my first time in the ocean.
Carnival did not offer any "single" events other than a meet and greet on the first night. With all of the chaos of the first night onboard, not too many people even knew that the event was happening. Apparently there were 2 other female single passengers who asked the cruise director if there would be any single events so he scheduled another singles meet and greet on Wednesday night but still no announcement. So, if you are looking to meet other singles, do some looking and keep up with your itinerary daily.
One of my suggestions for the end of cruise survey was that they need to change one of the lounges onboard to a singles lounge. Not for cruzing for guys but for singles who want to spend time with another single person who is not tied to a family for the week. I did need some alone, quiet time but also would have enjoyed having someone to hang out with onboard and compare life stories.
All in all, I would recommend going on a cruise to anyone looking for something different. You can stay in your room all week and order room service if you are looking for solitude and quiet. There are shows and other meeting events that could entertain people of all lifestyles. Or, you can sit on the deck for a week with an MP3 player an work on your tan.
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Passenger

Quote:

Hi there, first time cruiser, soon to be

1. I am a male, 32, married with 1 daughter.
2. Haven't booked yet, but will probably in 2 weeks time.
3. Chose a short cruise out of Mobile because I can drive to there and wanted to start small and cheaper.
4. Biggest worry is not knowing anything yet.
5. Main uncertainty right now is a question regarding phones and using them on board, it is looking to be expensive, but I'm not sure.

I welcome all help and advice and thanks in advance.
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Beginner

Cool First timer

I'm 65 SWM first time cruiser - have wanted to do this for years & now have the time (semi-retired) - interested in a 5-night to Mexico from Galveston (trying to keep it simple for virgin voyage!) - departure location is because I can drive there from Siloam Springs, AR to save airfare cost - since I'm single, I have anxiety about finding a good cruise mate to share cabin cost with (I'm quiet non-smoker & non-drinker) - interested in "mild" shore excursions, relaxation, swimming & dining on board - will welcome advice - thanks, REB.
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Passenger

Quote:
1-Female-31-married- 2 sons ages 10 and 8
2- needed to be in the right place in our life (mostly financially) to "splurge"
3- it was CHEAP, its from the west coast and its a 5 night so a nice "trial" cruise for our family with special needs to try out before we embark on our dream vacation on a Disney Cruise.
4- How much a liberal smoking policy on board will affect both my sons health and my mood in general in regards to the vacation and also what to do while in the 2 ports we are visiting.
5- see above
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Beginner

1. some basics: Female & DH 39/42 no kiddos
2. what took you so long to book a cruise, and why? Money and timing.
3. what made you decide on the itinery you chose..Our friends are going and invited us to join them
4. biggest worry or concearn since booking: bed bugs
5. current uncertainty or question: This fourm has answered almost all my questions.
Old October 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
1. Female, 53, married, 2 daughters, ages 29 & 22
2. Waited till the girls were grown
3. We just found the cheapest cruise we could going out of Charleston
4. This is the first time I've left the country, a bit worried about keeping in touch with the 22 year old, she's still at home. I know she'll be okay, but I'm a mom.....
5. I've had leg pain for over a month, hoping it doesn't get worse on the cruise. I've been trying to take care of it and stretch the muscles, but it's taking a long time to improve. But I'm not going to let it hold me back.

Old October 27th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Beginner

Default Re-First time cruisers

Hello Cruisers..!!!

I would like to thank to, you all for their wonderful suggestions for the first time cruiser's like me......I am here not to reply your questions....I am here to learn about "Cruising",as i have never done this in my life...But now i have decided to do it at any cost...The main problem i am facing is the money...My wallet is not so big like others,so will you please tell me how much money it needs???? Plz reply me immediately.....Every reply will be appreciated....Thanks////

With Regards,
Tom Ruderr.
Old October 27th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
1. Female, 53, married, 2 daughters, ages 29 & 22
2. Waited till the girls were grown
3. We just found the cheapest cruise we could going out of Charleston
4. This is the first time I've left the country, a bit worried about keeping in touch with the 22 year old, she's still at home. I know she'll be okay, but I'm a mom.....
5. I've had leg pain for over a month, hoping it doesn't get worse on the cruise. I've been trying to take care of it and stretch the muscles, but it's taking a long time to improve. But I'm not going to let it hold me back.
You can buy a small internet package and send e-mails to your daughter to see how she is. Phone service is very expensive at sea and some countries charge alot. Buy a phone card from the country you are in, ask a crew member from the ship for the best place to buy them.

Don't worry about you leg pain.. The hot tubs are just the ticket for sore muscles!!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomruderr View Post
Hello Cruisers..!!!

I would like to thank to, you all for their wonderful suggestions for the first time cruiser's like me......I am here not to reply your questions....I am here to learn about "Cruising",as i have never done this in my life...But now i have decided to do it at any cost...The main problem i am facing is the money...My wallet is not so big like others,so will you please tell me how much money it needs???? Plz reply me immediately.....Every reply will be appreciated....Thanks////

With Regards,
Tom Ruderr.

Did you know that you can book a cruise over a year out? After paying a deposit for the cruise you can make monthly payments that are interest free as long as cruise is paid for 90 days before sailing? Makes it much easier on a wallet being able to budget a cruise!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Captain

Quote:
1. My wife and 4 children (ages 3-19) and I moved down here to TN a few years ago from NY, and are in our mid 30s.
2. Wife and I have flown to a couple of all inclusive resorts.We have always wanted to cruise, but never actualy had the means (time or financialy) to go on one, nor did we even look to see the relatively cheaper prices. Too many of lifes demands ( working two jobs,coaching youth sports) seemed to take up all of our time.
3. We chose to sail out of Mobile on a 4 day. It was a port I could drive to, and a shorter length to get us accustomed to the cruising world.
4. Biggest worry..well I've seen the movie Titantic too many times perhaps..lol I also worry about the ship stranding us in a foreign port.
5. Everything you need to know is right on these boards. My biggest question now is what excursion do I try, or do I just beach it..
We are from Tracy City, TN. 4 wheelin is big around here and when we was in Cozumel we did the 4 wheeler excursion and had a blast! highly recommended!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanuk4u View Post
Check out the disco at night. You will find plenty of folks your age to hang out with.

I would advise getting the seasick patches from your doctor and taking them with you, better to have then and not need them! Never, ever have we had a problem with mosquito's on our cruises or shore excursions!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Beginner

Female
Single
Why do dependents matter? Then I wouldn't need a cruise mate.

Daughter gets seasick taking the ferry to Staten Island so cruising works for me now that she is older and we take separate vacations.

I'm a teacher and am locked in by school breaks.

4. biggest worry or concern since booking
Planning excursions

Bunking with a random stranger

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Smile 1st Time Cruisers

I am married aged 61 and we have been retired for 9 years. I have always wanted to go on a cruise but my husband wasn't interested, but he did promise me he would take me on a cruise for our 40th anniversary and guess what our 40th was in Spetember/2010 and we have booked our first cruise for March 11/2011, 10 day Mexican Riveria out of San Diego. We are on the Carnival Spirit on the Panaroma Deck 8K, Extended Balcony. Even my husband is excited. We will be driving from Lake Havasu City, Az as we spend 4 months there during the winter from December1st to March 31. We love Arizona and donot miss the snow and cold at all. These message boards have been a great help to us and we appreciate all the information for us first time cruisers. Thanks!!!
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspridd View Post
I am married aged 61 and we have been retired for 9 years. I have always wanted to go on a cruise but my husband wasn't interested, but he did promise me he would take me on a cruise for our 40th anniversary and guess what our 40th was in Spetember/2010 and we have booked our first cruise for March 11/2011, 10 day Mexican Riveria out of San Diego. We are on the Carnival Spirit on the Panaroma Deck 8K, Extended Balcony. Even my husband is excited. We will be driving from Lake Havasu City, Az as we spend 4 months there during the winter from December1st to March 31. We love Arizona and donot miss the snow and cold at all. These message boards have been a great help to us and we appreciate all the information for us first time cruisers. Thanks!!!
Thanks for visiting the boards and congratulations on the cruise. Both you and your husband will have a wonderful time. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Well: Maybe "Do the stairs go up and down?" Might fall into that category.

Welcome!
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM
Familiar Face

1. My name is Rebecca my DH name is Michael and we have 5 dependents between both of us (DS-18, DD-15, DS-10, DS-7 and DD-4).
2. It didn't take us too long at all. A mutual friend from work just had gotten back from another cruise and talking about it got us hooked.
3. We choose the Western Caribbean to see the Mayan Ruins and Cozumel for shopping.
4. Not being ready for the cruise.
5. I have tons of questions as a first time cruiser, but it seems that when I ask questions, cruisers who aren't first time cruisers seem to act like I'm dumb when I ask questions.

Carnival Ecstasy 11-28-11

Bare with me...I'm new.
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:

Hi

your Crusing experience is welcolmed!

SeaGiant17
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha C View Post
1. Hubby and I moved to Southern NV, from Los Angeles almost 15 years ago. We have one son, 19 in college, still lives at home. We are in our late 40's.
2. I have a phobia of being on the open water and enclosed places.
3. We are doing Carnival Elation to Ensenada, out of San Diego. We choose it because it was recommended for first time curiser and I was able to get a balcony for a great deal.
4. Being seasick. I felt really bad on the ferry going to Catalina Island, but I haven't been on anything bigger than that. Also, being cold in the cabin. I understand the cabins are not heated and we are going in December.
5. My two biggest questions: How is the winery tour in Ensenada and what do the Cat 12 suites look like after the update? Oh and is decaf Green Tea available on the ship or should I bring my own for my evening cup??

This was a great idea!!
Martha, you should think of an extra special awful practical joke to play on the joker who told you the staterooms were not heated. I have been on a couple dozen cruise ships on every continent but one -- and I promise you, they are all heated (and air conditioned)!!

About the coffee and tea, every form of each is readily available to you!

I wouldn't take the trip on a small ferry to Catalina as indicative of whether you will get seasick. That is unlikely. If you are concerned, go to your local drugstore and get some over-the-counter Bonine just for insurance. It works.

You were wise to get a balcony, you will enjoy that, but be forewarned once you have a balcony, it is very hard to go back to NOT having one.

Bon Voyage!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by the witvoets View Post
1. My name is Rebecca my DH name is Michael and we have 5 dependents between both of us (DS-18, DD-15, DS-10, DS-7 and DD-4).
2. It didn't take us too long at all. A mutual friend from work just had gotten back from another cruise and talking about it got us hooked.
3. We choose the Western Caribbean to see the Mayan Ruins and Cozumel for shopping.
4. Not being ready for the cruise.
5. I have tons of questions as a first time cruiser, but it seems that when I ask questions, cruisers who aren't first time cruisers seem to act like I'm dumb when I ask questions.
Rebecca and Michael,
Absolutely no one here will treat you as 'dumb.' We have ALL been where you are and are delighted to see you taking an interest in cruising! You have a wealth (probably several thousand years cumulative) of experience to draw on from the posters here and there is no better place to get advice from your friends with similar interests!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randino View Post
Hi there, first time cruiser, soon to be

1. I am a male, 32, married with 1 daughter.
2. Haven't booked yet, but will probably in 2 weeks time.
3. Chose a short cruise out of Mobile because I can drive to there and wanted to start small and cheaper.
4. Biggest worry is not knowing anything yet.
5. Main uncertainty right now is a question regarding phones and using them on board, it is looking to be expensive, but I'm not sure.

I welcome all help and advice and thanks in advance.
As to not knowing anything yet, there is no better place to learn what you need to know than right here on these boards!

As for your phone, depending on where in the world you go, it may or may not work in port, but will probably not work at sea. You will probably have phone service from most ports in Mexico and the Caribbean and many in Europe (depending on your carrier.) But, ports in Parts of Europe, South America, Asia and the Pacific -- not so much. You will, however, have phone and computer service from the ship, at a price.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08