Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:02 AM
Beginner

Default What's the atmosphere like on the different cruise lines?

Hello everyone =) so I have never cruised before but am looking to book one for some time next summer to visit a few places in the mediterranean.
I don't want to go on a cruise that is super formal, but I'm not looking for a party atmosphere either...I just want something fun and relaxing where I can be comfortable and have loads of activities available to me to choose from.
So I've been reading a lot about the different types of cruises and am wondering which cruise line i should look into? I have heard that carnival is very much so a party cruise, so i'm thinking that's out..and have also heard that HAL is very formal and mostly for the older couples, so i would assume that's out as well (I'm 21).
I thought maybe Royal Caribbean, but is there any others i should look into? I can't seem to find a date that i'm happy with for RC, and was wondering if maybe someone here may be able to guide me to a cruise line that may suit me?

Sorry for the long post, but just wondering if someone may be able to give me an insight into what the atmosphere is like on the different lines so i know which ones to look further into.
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Admiral

R.C.C.L. or Princess are probably your best bets. We went on the Splendour of the Seas (Royal Carribean) out of Vanice and had a wonderful time. There were of course the obligatory "formal nights" but generally the cruise was quite informal and a hell of a lot of fun.

Don't forget it is very possible to eat informally even on "formal nights" on most all cruise lines. Generally there is an informal dining room or a dinner buffet available. You can also have a romantic dinner brought into your room by room service, perfect for a pajama party or just a quiet dinner.

The choices are all your own.
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to agree with Chuck, look into both Royal CAribbean and Princess and may-be include Celebrity. From what you have said, you do enjoy lots of activities, but not a crazy party atmosphere either. Just be sure to see where the different ships stop and plan on picking a ship that goes where you want to go as well.

Best of luck.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:11 PM
Admiral

I would agree with Chuck too, Royal Caribbean and Princess are perfect "middle of the road" cruise lines (all ages, all activities).
Carnival has a reputation for a "party boat" but I believe that is more so on short 3 or 4 day cruises, and during school breaks. A Mediterranean cruise would be a little more "mature" I would think.
As for Celebrity, we've tried it twice and both times found it very staid, a much older clientele, and it seemed everyone went to bed at 9:30 pm.
Have fun planning your first cruise, I can guarantee it won't be your last!

donna
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Captain

Mostly nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%), with traces of argon, carbon dioxide, and water.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Most European and Mediterranean cruises are SO port intensive there is going to be very little "party party party" going on, on any line. And, also because every day is busy, you're going to be too tired to participate in all kinds of shipboard activities.

I think Norwegian Cruise Line is perfect for Europe and the Med. No formal wear required, so easy to stay under the airline baggage limits, and you can dine whenever you want, so no rushing back from great tours just to make sure you don't miss dinner.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Gee:

Bruce already stole my opening line and Kuki gave my recommendation for NCL so what else do I have to offer.

With the port intensive cruises that are offered in the Mediterranean NCL is a great choice. I find the alternative dining venues offer a wide variety of choices and flexibility and some excellent food. Also, NCL has some good seven and twelve day itineraries to choose from. I personally want to do the seven day round trip from Venice with a couple of pre-cruise days to really enjoy Venice.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is very good you gave your age - because that changed my entire perspective on what you are saying.

At 21 I don't think your definition of "party, party party" would be the same as mine.

For a 21-y.o. I think even Carnival would seem like a tame cruise. But it sounds like you are serious about wanting to see Europe, so there are a lot of choices.

Princess is good, but it is also a Holland America type of crowd. But f.y.i. your notions of Carnival and Holland America sound about 10 years old. Things have changed a lot over the years.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but at 21 most people are not to extravagant.

NCL Jade is a good budget choice. I do recommend Princess in Europe for their itineraries and quality tours, plus the ships are bigger than most so there is a lot to do.

Royal Caribbean is also good, but personally I think the smaller/older ships are not that great.

I suggest you use our article search feature on the front page - we have done a few articles on Euro-cruises lately.