CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   Length of First Cruise? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/372322-length-first-cruise.html)

itsmeamanda March 6th, 2010 03:44 PM

Length of First Cruise?

My husband and I are planning to take a cruise in October to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. I'd really like for it to be 7 days, but he is a little hesitant since we've never been on a cruise before. I'd love your opinions on which cruise length you prefer?

I've found a few 7days on Carnival but also a 4 night on Royal Caribbean that are in the running.

Thanks!

-Amanda

Lakers Fan March 6th, 2010 04:35 PM

My first was 7 days ,I wished it was longer

Donna March 6th, 2010 05:37 PM

Seven is good, the 3-4 are just too short, especially if you have to fly into port, may as well do the week.

Mike M March 6th, 2010 06:03 PM

My first cruise was 6 days, 17 hours and 21 minutes. :D Actually that is probably close.

I would never recommend anything less than a seven day cruise to anyone, especially if they have to fly in. Three, four or five day cruises are too short.

People think they will feel trapped but the ships are so large and there is so much to do I don't know how you would feel trapped.

I also recommend an outside or balcony cabin.

Take care,
Mike

rollerdonna March 22nd, 2010 11:04 PM

My 1st cruise was 4 days "to see if I got sea sick". I didn't, and I remember saying, "if we ever do this again, it HAS to more than 4 days!!
Some 16 cruises later, I am up to 10 and 13 day cruises, but 7 seems to be the norm. If you're a working person, it's hard to get more than a week off at a time, and if you're flying in from somewhere far like we are, anything less than 7 days makes no sense.
My suggestion is go for the 7 day to start, and ENJOY!!

donna

Shelby May 25th, 2010 03:36 PM

Definitely 7 days. Another thing to consider is that 3-4 days cruises tend to attract the party hearty types. That may or may not be what you're looking for.

mustang sally May 25th, 2010 06:56 PM

Not much more to do a seven versus four or five. Do a seven. You will be glad you did.

johnthed0g May 25th, 2010 07:13 PM

14 night Caribbean Fly cruise from the UK out of Barbados on Ocean Village to see if we liked non formal & buffet, we knew we would like the cruise.

Trip May 25th, 2010 08:18 PM

The 7 day is the best way to begin, imho.....Just when you are getting into the groove on a shorter one, you have to get off.....most, and I am not saying it doesn't happen, but most who do shorter ones, regret that they did not do a 7...

Remember as well, that on most short cruises, the passenger age is generally lower, & the cruise a bit more boisterous.

Factor in the air if needed, and unless you get a deal, it seems a waste for s short one...Everyone who posted here, bets hubby will be hooked;)

LisaK June 9th, 2010 09:26 AM

couldn't agree more, go for the 7 day cruise, 3-4 are just too short, actually over the years we have found that a 10 day seems to be just right.

wburdon June 24th, 2010 12:01 PM

My first cruise...

My first cruise was 10 days. I've never been on one shorter. I can not imagine taking anything less than a 7-10 day cruise.

Dave Beers June 24th, 2010 08:03 PM

A 3 or 4 night cruise is a quick getaway, 5 nights less so. I've flown to a couple of short cruises but it was only me. I really am not interested in flying to one if it involves my wife and son going. Not worth the hassle or air fare. If you are flying you need to get the most bang for your airline bucks. I know a guy who books back-to-back 7 night cruises so he only has to fly back and forth once. We do short cruises that we can drive to, such as out of Mobile or New Orleans. Even with those I feel sort of cheated by not having at least 7 nights.

For a special event like a wedding anniversary, 7 nights is the minimum I'd suggest.

SusanMarie August 11th, 2010 12:38 PM

Ours is 5 Days.

SusanMarie August 11th, 2010 10:07 PM

I Mean 7 days!!!