Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Beginner

Default inside or oceanview

We are planning our first cruise for next spring break (April 3-10, 2011). Is it worth the money to get an oceanview instead of an inside cabin? I'm worried about feeling claustrophobic. I wish we could get a balcony, but that's too pricy.
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I must say, its great having a balcony, but if economics fall short, even a window will be enjoyable, hopefully there is not a huge difference between a window and an inside. Just keep checking prices and may-be enquire about booking a balcony guarantee, where you would get at least a balcony cabin, but you wouldn't pick a specific one. Then, at some point you'd be assigned a cabin. Worth checking into.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:50 PM
First Mate

Hey, this is your first cruise and I think you just need to get on the ship! Yes, the view is worth it, but if the cost prohibits you booking outside, get the inside. The great thing about a cruise is that once outside of your cabin you are treated the same no matter where you are sleeping. Let us know how you enjoy the cruise.
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I don't need a balcony, when we have one, we enjoy it though...My main feeling is, I want the light, and to see the sea and the ports as we sail in...

Whatever gets you on board with a comfortable price is right..sometimes, the difference between in and out, is not a big jump...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 24th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Some people say "we don't spend much time in our cabin" these people generally have inside cabins...but seriously, to us it depends how long the cruise is, we would take an inside if it was REALLY cheap & the cruise was 4/5 days maybe... but generally an outside is the minimum we would go for.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Can I ask what ship you are thinking about sailing on?

I kind of works like this - the nicer ytour cabin the more time you spend there. Are you the kind of people that normally spend a lot of time outside of your house? Do you go for walks, try to catch outside entertainment, etc? Or do you spend a lot of time at home.

Even if you are the latter habing a balcony is not crucial - it just means you would be more likely to stay in it more.

There are other things that affect me more - what kind of TV set does it have (tiny old one, or a big flat panel) - is there enough room for both people to get ready, etc.

Also - on some ships the inside cabins are much smaller - just enough room to sleep and dress (Royal Caribbean, for example) than balcony cabins. But on Carnival there are many inside cabins that are very roomy and you will be comfortable.

On the Fantasy-class an inside or oceanview is just as good as a balcony, but on Voyager-class an inside is barely big enough for two people to get dressed at the same time.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Admiral

you have gotten some very good advise, its all about personal preference, i do not like inside cabins, because i like to look outside see the sun or moon and know if its daytime or nightime. We are balcony lovers, won't book anything else, but again thats our personal choice, i love Donna's idea of checking the prices between and outside and a balcony guarantee, if its not a whole lot of money,might be something to think about, i would go with at least an outside
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I usually book inside cabins. A lot depends on the size of the inside cabin. On most Holland America ships, especially the older ones, the inside and outside cabins are in the 180-185 square ft. range. On my last cruise (Noordam), the cabin was only 150 square ft. and I actually got claustrophic one night. It was also poorly arranged, and I kept bumping into things.

Check the size of the cabin, as that can make a huge difference.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM
First Mate

If finances allow, you won't regret getting a cabin with outside light. It makes a world of difference. You feel very isolated in an inside cabin, and I always feel like I am missing something. I must warn you though, once you have an outside cabin or balcony, it is really hard to go backwards and get a cabin without light. Now that we are hooked on balconies, it would not be easy to go back to an ocean view cabin. Having said that - if the deal was a great one - I would cave.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews

Celebrity Equinox 2014
Carnival Victory 2012
Carnival Dream 2010
Carnival LIberty 2008
Carnival Glory 2006
RCCL Grandeur Of the Seas 2005
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2003
Carnival Destiny 2003
Carnival Fascination 2001
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Claustphophic(sp)

I unfortunately booked an inside cabin on the Glory for Nov. 2010 and wishin I could afford a balcony. I will bring 3 of 4 boys with me. I am so afraid I will freak out knowing I'm going down to my deck on the empress deck. I have seen titanic way too many times. Please help me better understand how small or roomy this type of room is. Thanks SB
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Admiral

We've done porthole ,outside and balcony .My preference is outside
Old August 1st, 2010, 02:07 AM
Familiar Face

I have an inside studio on the epic on NCL it has a one way porthole (you can only see out) that faces the hall way. I am cruising solo and for the hell of it I will watch Titanic on my computer while I am in my cabin before i go to bed. .
Old August 6th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Familiar Face

My first cruise was inside room and it was fine.. we didn't stay in it much anyway. The last cruise we went on we got a balcony and I will never think twice (even with the higher price) about booking balcony from now on! Everyone will have different opinions of rooms and you will just need to keep on cruising to see what works best for you!!