Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Passenger

Default Port or Starboard

I'm am new to cruising and obviously new to this forum, my question is I'm leaving on a 5 night cruise visiting Progresso and then Cozumel. I've heard that the starboard side would be better because you can see more of the island when arriving. I'm thinking it may not really matter, anybody have opinions? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It makes no difference. You may get a slightly better view, for a very short time, from the starboard side but it also depends on which way you are traveling.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you don't see it when you are coming into port then you'll see it when you leave.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Passenger

One thing I thought would be worthy of mentioning is that if you are a smoker or a non smoker then you may want to check with your cruise lines smoking policies...some ships/lines allow smoking on the decks of the starboard side of the ships (or vice versa)...I dont know how much the smoke from a deck above or below a room drifts (if at all) but it is something to take into consideration as well if that is something that may bother you.
Old July 7th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Just a side note about Progresso..check out the excursions to Merida...a beautiful colonial Mexican City....and either side, is a good side

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 7th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default FYI

Progresso is a Mexican city on the Texas border. Also the name of a soup company.

The port in the Yucatan is PROGRESO.

Trip is correct about Merida. I was first there over 25 years ago when it was still a small colonial style city. Big City now, but wonderful old sites. It used to be considered the most European city in Mexico as it was easier to communicate with Europe by sea than overland to Mexico City.

The ship will be aft/port to the pier in Progreso so if you want to hear the music from the pier you would need to be AFT or on the PORT side as far aft as possible. The Starboard side will have a view of the industrial rock loading area.

You won't know for sure about Cozumel, but usually it's also port towards the island. If your on the inside dock and on the starboard you'll have a good view of the 'show' between the ships at departure.

I'm usually a starboard side guy, but on that particular itinerary the port side is better.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.

Last edited by Snoozeman; July 7th, 2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for the great advice, probably looking to port side, will know in an hour or two.
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Passenger

oh that is some BEAUTIFUL info Snoozeman.

We are doing a Baja Mexico cruise with port in Cabo and Ensenada

I think I recall hearing that Cabo is a tender port

When they tender what direction does the ship usually face?

Also is Ensenada also a tender port? if not does anyone know how it pulls into port (ie how snoozeman described about)

Its not a huge deal it would just be nice to know

Thanks in advance!!
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The ship will swing with the currents and as they position the ship to best limit wave activity for tenders. It can be facing one direction for a while and then face another a little later.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Passenger

I just want to thank everyone for the info they are giving on these boards. It is amazing the level of knowledge Mike M, Snoozeman, and others have to offer everyone. I am truly thankful that I found this forum before booking.
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randino View Post
I just want to thank everyone for the info they are giving on these boards. It is amazing the level of knowledge Mike M, Snoozeman, and others have to offer everyone. I am truly thankful that I found this forum before booking.

Your Welcome & Thank You!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.