Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Advice for first time cruisers

In preparation for our first cruise ( a gift from a relative), I lurked this site and appreciated the advice and good will everyone seems to share. Now that I've returned, and maybe I missed this on the forum so please forgive me, but under practical advice, folks should be warned about some of the potential down sides in order to be better prepared. Firstly, we waited for over 4 hours to board ship. We were told to arrive no later than 1:30 PM, arrived at 12:15 PM and waited in a huge mass of humanity until 4:30 to board. With no food or drink anywhere, except what I had in my bag, people ranging from 3 to 83 were less than enthused and some really struggling. People should be advised of these kinds of waits so they can take the necessary precautions. Secondly, shortly after leaving port, the ship encountered quite a weather front and rocked and rolled all night and the next day, sometimes rolling 6 or 7 degrees each way. I'm not prone to motion sickness and I do love a good storm at sea, but many people were unprepared and I hear the medical office was filled to capacity dispensing medication.

I hope this doesn't sound too much like fussing and surely what we experienced is not the norm- but it can and does happen. Admittedly, cruising is not for me, as I prefer a small gathering on a boat under sail, no set schedule and a deserted beach somewhere. I do think however, first timers are likely to become big fans if given more realistic advice on being prepared for the unlikely. My $.02...
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Everyone is entitled to their feel what they feel, and, make no apologies for their experiences.

I do have to say though, your experience is a bit unusual. Usually people are on board by 4:30, have been fed, and in their cabins perhaps unpacking. What ship were you on? Honestly 4 hours is quite surprising.

Did you cruise during hurricane season, or Nov, when yes, there was indeed some rough weather?

What did you enjoy on the ship...would love to hear more..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 10th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi trip. We were on Liberty of the Seas a couple of weeks ago between Christmas and New Year. The wait was due to their just returning from Belize and a shakedown from Customs. RCI was apologetic. I understand this holdup when returning from Belize has become more the norm than the exception, so hopefully they'll adjust. The storm was a cold front that blew through as we arrived in MIA. The captain was very good about communicating to the passengers, altering course and working the stabilizers as much as possible.

As for likes, all the staff were very friendly and accomodating. The balcony stateroom was very nice, not the cubbyhole one hears of on some ships. The food in the main dining room ran from above average to exceptional; seafood was consistently good, steaks not so much. One specialty restaurant, Portofino, was very good. Everything on the ship remained fastidiously clean, even at the height of the storm. Crowds were well managed, although when the sun came out, the upper decks were very cramped. As mainstream cruise ships go, surely this is one of the best.
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windward View Post
In preparation for our first cruise ( a gift from a relative), I lurked this site and appreciated the advice and good will everyone seems to share. Now that I've returned, and maybe I missed this on the forum so please forgive me, but under practical advice, folks should be warned about some of the potential down sides in order to be better prepared. Firstly, we waited for over 4 hours to board ship. We were told to arrive no later than 1:30 PM, arrived at 12:15 PM and waited in a huge mass of humanity until 4:30 to board. With no food or drink anywhere, except what I had in my bag, people ranging from 3 to 83 were less than enthused and some really struggling. People should be advised of these kinds of waits so they can take the necessary precautions. Secondly, shortly after leaving port, the ship encountered quite a weather front and rocked and rolled all night and the next day, sometimes rolling 6 or 7 degrees each way. I'm not prone to motion sickness and I do love a good storm at sea, but many people were unprepared and I hear the medical office was filled to capacity dispensing medication.

I hope this doesn't sound too much like fussing and surely what we experienced is not the norm- but it can and does happen. Admittedly, cruising is not for me, as I prefer a small gathering on a boat under sail, no set schedule and a deserted beach somewhere. I do think however, first timers are likely to become big fans if given more realistic advice on being prepared for the unlikely. My $.02...
Hi, Thanks for sharing your experience. My first Cruise will take place later on in the year.

SeaGiant17