Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question Best Line for an Adult, Single Lady

Hi all,

I need help! I'm an adult lady of 50-something age. After a rough year, I need a longer vacation to rest and relax. Maybe a cruise of up to a week would be a good, safe choice. My destination preference, to begin, is Alaska. I have no interest in the Carribbean or the Mexican Riviera (not into the beach...I'm blonde and have had skin cancer).

I am a friendly introvert, if that makes sense...making friends is fine, but I'm not looking for romance, the bar scene, etc. I am wondering what cruise line would fit me best. I'm not real fond of huge crowds, and would prefer...a more casual, not terribly structured experience with...open dining (?). Great shore excursion options would be a great way to meet and mingle. Otherwise, let me choose my own activities on board.

I've heard Disney is a good choice, but that they are expensive and other lines could do just as well. Any thoughts? Not sure if I can make Alaska by the end of this season, but perhaps for next year.

Thanks for your comments! --Madeline
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Friendly introvert, makes perfect sense, that's me!

I don't think any line will be better than the other, depends on the amount of "spoiling" you want and how much you want to pay.

Alaska is indeed a great place, many choices of itinerary.

If you are speaking of solo cruising, be prepared to pay double (on most lines)
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Depends on what you want out of the cruise. NCL, or Norwegian is the Freestyle cruise line. You can pretty much do what you want when you want, and they have the anytime meal plan you are looking for. They also cruise Glacier Bay. You might try them.

Princess, and HAL are other good options. Everybody on here will have an opinion. My advice is to go to the cruiseline website, take a look, and pick what looks best to you. Enjoy.
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have heard good things about HAL in Alaska, and they apparantly provide male dining partners/dance partners for single women on the cruise.
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think HAL, especially in Alaska would be a great choice, they have a wonderful reputation for Alaskan cruises. I love your quote, I am a freindly introvert, as you will find similar companions on HAL.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 5th, 2011, 04:07 PM
First Mate

I think your best bet would be on one of the mid-price, mid-size ships. If you think about it, price and size determine who's going to choose that line. Disney is indeed expensive, and caters to families with young children. Carnival is usually the least expensive and has a party image, so it's popular with younger adults looking for the most bang for their buck. Longer cruises, 2 weeks or more, tend to attract older people who have fewer demands on their time.

My first cruise was on Holland America, Vancouver to Seward, Alaska, with a couple of days afterwards in Anchorage. I've been hooked ever since, and after sampling some of the other lines I've now decided to stick with HAL. I have traveled "solo" with them, but that was back when they had a "single shared" plan that was a real bargain for a solo traveler. Now, regardless of which line you use, your best bet would be to find a person here on Cruisemates to share a cabin with! Me, for instance.

All of the cruise lines now allow open seating in the main dining room. On some of them you may still opt instead on a fixed seating. I usually ask for fixed, at a table for 8. I've made some good friends that way. And even if you've got assigned seating, you can still opt to go into the "open" group any evening you wish.

By the by, HAL no longer provides gentlemen who dance except on their longer voyages.