Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default My ship is going to____!

Hello First time cruisers!

So, you've finally made the decision to book a Caribbean cruise Whoopie!
What criteria determines the itinerary you will select? Southern, Eastern or Western Caribbean? Hopefully, you have perused Cruisemates, for research, and, maybe posted for some personal help.

For you, what do you think will make your tropical cruise a great one?

Great shopping, or fabulous beaches? Water sports or eco tourism? Proximity to port with no air fare? Gotta see that tropical island that has been in your dreams forever?

What floats your boat, and, where will it go?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Admiral

We booked a cruise solely to celebrate my birthday and the Caribbean offered the most ports.
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

To me one island port is alot like the rest. Done enough of them now that I just enjoy the ship time with a few nice breaks walking around the ports.

The main deal for me is it that it is so convenient for us to jump in the car and make the easy drive over to Galveston.

I guess one exception is that I have yet to hit Belize on any of my cruises. I would like to check that one off the 'to-do' list one day...
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to beebold

I booked our first cruise ever for our family of five.

We are cruising aboard the Carnival Dream May 26th - June 2nd, 2012. Itinerary is Cozumel, Belize, Isla Roatan, and Costa Maya.

We're booked in two connecting cove balcony rooms.

Very excited. A little nervous.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Admiral

BeeBold Welcome to Cruisemates..what can we do to make you less nervous..We are here to help you... ask away. You picked a great ship!
I call this the cruisers waiting room....

Old August 20th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Familiar Face

I booked my first ever cruise for a group of 4. We'll be sailing on the Emerald Princess on Oct 19th on the 10-day Southern Caribbean Medley. I picked the Southern since it was the lowest price of all Princess Caribbean itineraries at the time of booking. I chose the Caribbean since it seems that where cruising originally started.

I don't know anything about the ports. Hope it'll be fun!

So for you experienced cruisers, which part of the Caribbean do you think is the best? The Western, Eastern or the Southern?
Old August 20th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbolt View Post
So for you experienced cruisers, which part of the Caribbean do you think is the best? The Western, Eastern or the Southern?
I don't think that any of those ares is better than the others. It's a matter of preference.
I have done several Caribbean cruises and they all have been fun.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Captain

Smile

My wife and I have booked our first Caribbean cruise for 2013.We chose to sail with Carnival this time .Our first cruise was on the Sapphire Princess.We decieded to give Carnival a chance because they are so much cheaper. I hope we are not disapointed!How can there be such a big price diffrence what are you giving up?We chose to go the Western route mostly for the departure port.The cruise sails from New Orleans neither of us have ever been there so we are planning on leaving a couple days early so we can have a look around.We will be sailing on the Conquest I have been reading some posts about her and she sounds like a nice ship.We like the longer cruises this one is only 7 days but with the time in New Orleans and oh ya are plane is routed thru Atlanta so we will be spending a couple days there to have never been there either so it will be a fun vaction.
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Silverbolt, The southern is my favorite itinerary. Let us know what islands you are sailing to....The Love Boat, was what got me to book my frst cruise Every problem onboard solved in one hour

Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:22 AM
Familiar Face

First, to Dhill, I'm from the Atlanta area, so I can probably point you to some decent places. Off the top of my head, I'd at least recommend that you swing by the GA Aquarium (I've never been there myself, but people seem to like it) and the CNN Center (I have been there and found it to be pretty cool). If you're into breakfast/brunch type food, you'll probably like J. Christopher's. I think there's one over on West Peachtree or Peachtree. Can't remember which. Atlantic Station's a pretty nice place if you like shopping, too.

Now me.

Taking my first cruise since I was a high school Freshman. My girlfriend and I are leaving in October on the Carnival Inspiration. We'll be hitting up Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We're both pretty excited about it. We're actually planning on staying in my old college town en route, so it'll be nice to see how it's changed.

Archimedes' principle floats my boat, btw. As far as I know, it floats everyone else's, too.