Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Familiar Face

Default First timer in the works

Have been shopping around recently for my first cruise. I was sucked in by seeing a low rate and did not realize it was based on double occupancy until a week or so later. I am now just trying to find the best deal possible since I already requested the time off work. Working for an airline, I can fly for free if a cruise does not work out this time around. Not all would be lost, but I am very interested in a cruise and have been reading a lot of different forums for information. I will be going alone and my days off are Sept 20-Oct 5.

Carnival Fascination "from JAX" "to Bahamas"
dept 9/22/11
4 days
Total with tax comes to $448

That is the best deal I have found so far while traveling as a solo. I tried to get a quote from a travel agent since I heard they can give extra ammeneties or upgrades, but they offered nothing expect the same price on Carnivals website. I am willing to book the week before if it will help lower the price in any way, just looking for any tips you guys may have for a new person who wants the best rate possible.
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Hoskins,
Welcome to Cruisemates, hopefully you will find some good information.

Looks like you have a good time slot to fill a cruise in, have you looked at any 7 night cruises. I still think if you contact a good cruise travel agent, they could have some special deals, with group cruises that do save some moneys. You can also book a cabin guarantee, where you don't book a specific cabin number, just a catagory. That too can save you some $....

When booking something over 4 days will give you a few more ports to visit other than just the Bahamas?? Just something to think about, since the air fare is not an issue, why go all the way down to Fl. for just a 4 day cruise, enjoy your time off....

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Familiar Face

The reason for the 4 night cruise was because I don't know how much I will like it, and also the price. Really just trying to keep it as resonable as possible. I don't think 500 dollars is an unfair price for a cruise, but knowing I am paying for a second person kills it for me. I have to know I am getting a good deal to be sold on anything.
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Admiral

welcome to Cruisemates!
First off travel agents are not allowed to undercut the prices from the cruiseline. They can usually get group discounts. It the little perks, peace of mind and great advise is what a good TA can offer you.
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Keep in mind that cruise line sales people work for the cruise line "NOT YOU".
If you have problem they are very limited as to what they can do for you.
A travel agent (TA) works for you not the cruise line therefore will do all they can to resolve your issue(s). You should consider a 7 day from Fl , you'll probably find the cost not much higher for a 7 day cruise.

Welcome to the boards.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Welcome to Cruise Mates - check out the Seeking Cruise Companions section of this site, maybe you can find someone to help you do the double occupancy thing.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Holy Smokes! If you work for airline, go to Vacations to Go site. They have interline rates. If N.O. is an option for you, go Ecstasy 9/22 to 9/26. Rate is $189 p.p. going to Cozumel. On 9/26 it's 169!!!p.p.. Ecstacy is supposed to be really really good. (I'm booked in Nov. when it comes to Canaveral). I think it's a 5 nighter. I know it's hard to know if you'll like cruising, but it's 95% sure you will. If cruising is for you, a 3 nighter is way too short.
P.S. Those super low rates are entry rates to a smaller cabin, but, who stays in a cabin much!

Last edited by ruthlessboss; September 8th, 2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Familiar Face

Yea I don't mind staying in an inside room at all. Put me in a closet with a twin bed for all I care. My buddy did recommend looking at some interline rates websites, but all the ones I found online looked like the website was designed by a highschool kid so I did not sign up. I was recommended to checkout perx.com last night so I am going to check that today. Thanks for the feedback all.

edit: After looking today it looks like the cruise I was most interested in has went up a bit, when checking on vacationstogo/perx/dargle it gave me a higher price than what was on carnival.com yesterday. I will check back next Tuesday to see if it comes down again.

Last edited by hoskins123; September 8th, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old September 10th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Familiar Face

I booked my cruise today for the Bahamas leaving JAX on September 22nd. Felt like I got a good deal through Carnival since they matched the interline rate. Solo inside cabin for $398 taxes included. They also said if the price goes any cheaper I can call back and request an upgrade for free to "main deck" whatever that means. Very excited and hope it all goes well.
Old September 10th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Sounds like you got a good "single" deal, great for you!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Familiar Face

I am currently in Europe, near Venice
You come here to pick me up and travel together on

I hope to meet new friends and see new places!

I want to meet some one who can pay for the travel.
sophiscated and people with style

Why travel alone when you can take me with you?

If you travel often?