Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default First Timer

OK so I have done a bit of research and visited a travel agent and I have it down to 2 cruises that I want to do and I'm having a really tough time deciding so I'm looking for info anywhere I can find it.
To start with in from Sydney and we are looking at a 14day cruise to the south pacific in late Nov early Dec. So the 2 we have ended up with are Holland America Line for $1550 and Princess Cruises for $1450 to choose between both have the same appeal as far as ports they are visiting and departing dates.

I am going with my girlfriend and we are both in our early 20s and from what I have heard HAL cater to the older crowd. I was wondering how bad this is will we be really the odd ones out or will there still be plenty of younger people? Not that I have anything wrong with older people just probably more in common with a younger crowd and I would like to make a few friends while away. Also is there much difference between the quality of the HAL and Princess cruises or is it much of a muchness?

Any help deciding between these 2 would be great I cant split them so split them for me .
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Vander, firstly, welcome to Cruisemates. My suggestion would be to go with Princess. Longer cruises, tend to have older passengers to start with, having the free time to indulge, but HAL to my mind, just has an older demographic. I think Princess would just be more upbeat, for you two, in your *early* 20's even more so.

My last HAL, on a 7 day Caribbean itinerary, was like a ghost ship at night, we were amazed.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for that. While we arent really looking to party hard or anything a bit of nightlife would be good. Would the fact that it is uni holidays and post HSC (Last exams of high school) affect the demographic on the ships?
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I believe that both are good choices and you probably will be happy with each.

I personally would go with Princess. The demographic will be slightly different with "perhaps" a younger passenger contingent. My experience with HAL is similar to Trip's in that there was little happening after 10:00 p.m..

Take a look at the ships and research them and use that to help you make your decision.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me