CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   Is it possible to get claustrophobic? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/385796-possible-get-claustrophobic.html)

tanmom November 2nd, 2011 02:40 PM

Is it possible to get claustrophobic?

I'm very claustrophobic and was wondering if anyone else ever felt claustrophobic on a cruiseliner before? Is that even possible?

I'm just not sure if mentally I'm prepared to be somewhere where I know I can't get off and be on shore, but on the other hand cruise liners are pretty huge, so I'm confused.

Trip November 2nd, 2011 03:18 PM

Not knowing the extent of your condition, it's hard to say, but, let me toss out somethings I have said to my son.

If you cruise on Carnival, you will have a larger room, than most ships.. that will help,and if you can book a larger cabin, mini suites on up, that would be more open for you. You could also use the door wedge to keep the door open, for short spurts at a time, during the day. Aslo booking an aft corner or regular balcony will give you plenty of extra room.

All public spaces are open, and, many areas are open for several soaring decks. With so many people, this is important, so there is no sense of crowding

Many RCI ships [Radiance Class] have decks with lots of glass, which are wonderful. The pool deck is enjoyable,and spacious, to just stand at the rails and enjoy the views.

If you ever felt a sense of things closing in, there are numerous places onboard that will shake that off..I hope I helped a bit.

johnthed0g November 2nd, 2011 04:15 PM

Definitely don't have an inside cabin!! I always have the urge to want to "open something"

ruthlessboss November 2nd, 2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1399745)
Definitely don't have an inside cabin!! I always have the urge to want to "open something"

Not really clausraphobic, but feel closed in at times. I've stayed in an inside cabin, but for brief times or sleep only. A balcony room may not be bigger, but it gives you a place to go except back to Lido.

johnthed0g November 2nd, 2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1399746)
Not really clausraphobic, but feel closed in at times. I've stayed in an inside cabin, but for brief times or sleep only. A balcony room may not be bigger, but it gives you a place to go except back to Lido.

It may be an issue to someone with a problem though, just nice to have a door to open.

Donna November 2nd, 2011 05:03 PM

I can imagine the feeling, but with the ships today, most have a good deal of deck space, no need to stay in your cabin, unless you have a balcony. For sure opt for the balcony, you won't be disappointed. Most of the time you are either somewhere on the ship or on shore, so the feeling should be limited. Plus, you'd be suprised at how quick a week cruise will fly by..

Trackypup November 2nd, 2011 05:12 PM

I second what John said. Do not under any circumstances get an inside cabin. I also get the need to "get out" quite quickly sometimes.

Spartan kent November 2nd, 2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1399745)

I find an inside cabin gives the impression of being much bigger than it is due to the mirrors :)

johnthed0g November 2nd, 2011 05:19 PM

Another thing that could give problems is wanting to be somewhere of your own...feeling crowded may give problems & having somewhere to go would be nice, sitting on the balcony isn't wrong you know, watching the sea go by is charming.

Mike M November 2nd, 2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanmom (Post 1399733)
I'm very claustrophobic and was wondering if anyone else ever felt claustrophobic on a cruiseliner before? Is that even possible?

I'm just not sure if mentally I'm prepared to be somewhere where I know I can't get off and be on shore, but on the other hand cruise liners are pretty huge, so I'm confused.

It really depends on just how claustrophobic you are. In the main parts of the ship you probably won't feel it. Where you may feel it is if you book an inside cabin (I feel claustrophobic in one) or in the hallways for the cabins.

The ships are large and the spaces are fairly large. If you aren't claustrophobic in a hotel I don't think you will have a problem. Just don't book an inside cabin.

Take care,
Mike

Lakers Fan November 2nd, 2011 09:22 PM

I will find out on my next cruise because unless I get an upgrade I will be in an Inside cabin .

Golden1 November 8th, 2011 12:05 PM

TanMom,

Do you fly? If you are okay on a plane, you should not have any problems on a ship. However, I would think about a window room or balcony, depending on how claustrophic you are.

addy November 15th, 2011 09:38 AM

Cruisers are so big that you offted dont have a felling to be in a ship.

NevilleJ March 20th, 2012 04:24 PM

I don't get so claustrophobic in small places unless it's crowded. I get more nervous around tight crowds than anything. I would think there is plenty of areas on a cruise ship to find some room to breathe.

Lakers Fan May 4th, 2012 08:02 PM

Surprisingly I was not feeling claustrophobic on my inside cruise

Akykyshka May 9th, 2012 03:30 PM

oh its great

I'm new here , nice thread!

Lakers Fan May 9th, 2012 07:57 PM

Welcome to the best internet cruise site .