Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cruise virgin

I'm taking my first cruise this March, Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas to Honduras, Belize, and Cozumel. I'm excited. Actually, obsessed it probably the more appropriate word. I booked the cruise in October of 2009 so I've had a long time to think about it. Now that it's only 69 days away, and pretty much my only "long" break between now and summer (I'm a teacher), it's now all I think about.

Is there anything anyone can tell me about what to expect, what this ship is like (what activities are available) or about the ports?

Also, I've seen many packing lists online. They seem very extensive...more that I think would fit into my bag. Is it really necessary to carry so much?

Also, outside of work clothes, I mostly own jeans. Would it be too hot for jeans?
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by micharr4 View Post
I'm taking my first cruise this March, Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas to Honduras, Belize, and Cozumel. I'm excited. Actually, obsessed it probably the more appropriate word. I booked the cruise in October of 2009 so I've had a long time to think about it. Now that it's only 69 days away, and pretty much my only "long" break between now and summer (I'm a teacher), it's now all I think about.

Is there anything anyone can tell me about what to expect, what this ship is like (what activities are available) or about the ports?

Also, I've seen many packing lists online. They seem very extensive...more that I think would fit into my bag. Is it really necessary to carry so much?

Also, outside of work clothes, I mostly own jeans. Would it be too hot for jeans?
Congratulations on your upcoming cruise!!!!

Mariner is one of the larger Royal Caribbean ships and will have an extensive amount of things to do. There will be everything from trivia to rock wall climbing. There will also be daily parades on the promenade area. If you check your daily newsletter you will find that there will probably more to do than you can find time for.

The two ports you mention are fantastic for diving and snorkeling. They both have extensive and beautiful reefs and if you are up to it a snorkeling or diving excursion is definitely worth it. In Cozumel you can also enjoy good shopping and there are many tours available to different parts of the island. These tours can be easy, bus type tours, or more extreme dune buggy and ATV tours. You can also have a wonderful beach day at one of the many beaches. If you want a beach day I would recommend Nachi-Cocum. It is about $50 but it is all-inclusive with a nice beach, GREAT food and all the alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages you want. They also have a nice swimming pool with swim up bar.

I am also a jeans wearer but I would leave the jeans home for this trip and wear lighter clothing such as shorts and light pants. Jeans are too warm and also take up extra weight in the luggage. You can pack two pair of "Docker" type pants for what one pair jeans weighs. You will want something a little dressier for dinner. You will also find that you packed too much. During the day you will be wearing shorts/bathing suits, cover up and t-shirts.

The packing lists are great to give you an idea of what you "may" need but none of them are for everyone. Go through them and see what you may need and just pack that. There are many recommendations people make that most people would never have a use for. I took duct tape on my first five or six cruises and never used it. The main things to not forget are passport, medications, credit card and some cash. An ATM card is a good idea.

I know you are excited and before you know it you will be boarding the ship.

Have a great cruise and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask. I know others will pipe in with more information.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Welcome to Cruisemates, and, congrats on your upcoming cruise! I think you chose a wonderful ship for your first cruise. Lots to do at night,and for sea days...Active cruisers love the rock wall..not sure if this ship has the flow rider, another fun activity. Bring a hilighghter along to mark all the activities offerred all around the ship..you can be as busy or as laid back as is your choice.

With tight baggage reulations, fees, and the less stringent dress codes, some of the packing lists are just are not pertinent now. Jeans are too hot for the tropical temps you will encounter..bring some over the counter meds, as you will find, onboard they will be high, if they even have what you want. In port, even more expensive.

Let's see what else our Cruisemates come up with for you....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
Familiar Face

Is it too soon to start planning? I can't help but feel I'm jumping the gun here. My sister, who went on her first cruise last summer, says that I'm doing the right thing by starting now.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Absolutely get all your ducks in a row....check out off ship excursion companies and compare....also MAKE SURE, you get travel insurance..go to insuremytrip.com, to get side by side price comparisons...you will get trip interuption, baggage protection,and, most important medivac/medical ins.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator