Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default This is my first cruise

Ok here goes. I've never taken a vacation before - much less a cruise. I've decided to book the Carnival Triumph leaving from Galveston at the end of September.
The stops are Cozumel and Progreso - any suggestions on which excursions I should check out?
Also, Do you carry cash on shore for shopping or credit cards?
Are there usually many singles in the 20-40 age range? I'm 32 - wouldnt mind meeting other singles on the cruise.
Any items that are MUST haves? I'm sure sunscreen lol. Just a total newbie that could really use advice and pointers!
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Captain

Carnival is a good choice for the younger crowd and many ships will have singles parties. There will be a cruise director who is in charge of on board activities you can get specific info from them. Daily activities will be in your planner which is delivered to your room each night so you can plan the next day.

I love Cozumel as a port you will find the range of choices for excursions to be dizzying. On my cruise there last week we had 6 pages of choices on that port. Swimming with dolphins, zipline, and horseback riding are always popular choices though you can also just go to the beach for the day. Personally I enjoyed snorkeling under ground in a cavern, very unique though not the best choice if your claustrophobic.

In progresso if your into history you can visit the Chichen Itza mayan ruins it's one of the seven wonders of the world. Also many beach choices there.

Its hard not to have a good time on a cruise, enjoy!
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Captain

Haha just noticed you also live in plano tx how small world we live in.

*waves through window*

Tip: bring singles to tip your tour guide though you can use credit cards in port.
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just bring enouh cash for the day in port, leave the rest in your cabin safe. Also a credit card if you plan on purchasing anything.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:33 PM
First Mate

My first visit to Cozumel I did the Tulum tour through Carnival. It's amazing if you are into history, but know that it is an all day thing. Almost your whole day in port is taken up by this because of a fast ferry over to the mainland, then a bus ride to the ruins. An amazing experience and I am glad I did it, but I doubt it is one I will do again.

Second visit to Cozumel I did the Beginners SCUBA. This is basically PADI's Discover SCUBA. It was a legitmate open water dive but design for those not certified yet. I also booked this one via the ship. The local provider is/was Sand Dollar. Very professional. Felt quite safe and secure the whole time and it was amazing. For this excursion we were offered pictures after the fact. At the time it was 12 each or 2 for 20, so something to consider taking cash for. Also there's a small bar where you can have an after dive snack or beer, and I used cash for that as well.

No experience with Progresso, so I will leave that to others on the forum.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Welcome to Crusiemates!

Many don't linger in Progresso, you can take the tour to the beautiful colonial city of Merida. Many ex pats live here and love it.. You can also check out the Jolly Roger style tours, usually lots of singles on those excursions.

We're here to wali you through any questions you may have.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Familiar Face

Ok a couple of other dumb questions lol.

Ok - in the US I never use sunscreen - but I have a feeling I'm going to need it on the ship. I'm clueless when it comes to that stuff - I WANT to get some burn and a good tan so what SPF do you guys/girls use who still want to get a good tan while out?

Also, I'm a pro photographer - I have a feeling I shouldnt take my Camera and lenses on this trip at all? What I keep in my camera bag would run about 8k to replace.... but I was still hoping to get some great pics trying to figure that one out. Can I get insurance to cover my stuff if i DO take it?
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Admiral

By the pool, even with a cloud cover, the rays can be intense...on a private island, with hardly any shade, even hotter.This is the tropics, so get a higher number than you think you want.

Wouldn't your homeowners insurance cover your loss? Do you have a floater for your cameras on the policy? Check that out.

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Familiar Face

I rent - no homeowners policy.
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Admiral

There is renters insurance, not sure if this is something you'd want to consider. Bring a less $$ camera, so, you won't miss the great shots on your first cruise.

Old March 7th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Familiar Face

lol may just use the camera on my iphone
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Admiral

There ya go!

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:13 AM
First Mate

I am very white and burn easily, but have never had a problem using SPF 15 on our Mexican cruises. I just re-apply as needed. I am from Arizona and that is all I have used at the river/lake as well. Have a great time!!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old March 8th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

May-be picking up an inexpensive digital camera, they are pretty reasonable today, rather than taking your expensive one?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by actingnurse View Post
Ok a couple of other dumb questions lol.

Ok - in the US I never use sunscreen - but I have a feeling I'm going to need it on the ship. I'm clueless when it comes to that stuff - I WANT to get some burn and a good tan so what SPF do you guys/girls use who still want to get a good tan while out?

Also, I'm a pro photographer - I have a feeling I shouldnt take my Camera and lenses on this trip at all? What I keep in my camera bag would run about 8k to replace.... but I was still hoping to get some great pics trying to figure that one out. Can I get insurance to cover my stuff if i DO take it?
I travel with my Canon 20D, Tamron 17-50/2.8 and 420EX speedlite on every cruise. If I take it off the ship depends on where I am and what I am doing. In 2009 at St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk I carried it off with me to take pictures. 2010 I used my point and shoot in Key West but had the DSLR for Tulum. 2011 I carried the DSLR for Key West and no camera for Cozumel because I was going diving. My point and shoot died in 2011, so I also used my Android phone's camera a good bit as well for quick shots.
I now have a new point and shoot that I plan to buy a waterproof housing for so I can take it diving in the future. Obviously the 20D will stay on ship for these excursions.

Look at what you have in your bag and decide what you want to have. Body, speedlite, mid range and maybe a tele lens and leave the rest at home.

My other question is this ... if you're shooting professionally, don't you already have some kind of insurance on your rig?

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.