Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default First time cruiser

Hi everyone...

I am taking my first cruise ever.. on my bday 9/23 and I am SO excited.
Happy to find this board and soak up some knowledge from you folks before I go !

Splendor 9/23/12

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Welcome aboard!!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Admiral

So happy you found us. If you have any questions, please feel free to "ask away". We've got folks with years and years of cruising experience, on nearly all the lines, and ships, so you can get accurate and informative answers to questions. Hope to see you aboard one of the fantastic ships in the future!

"SKY"
Old March 20th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Familiar Face

I'm going on my first cruise with my wife in a couple months and I'm glad I found this site. Hopefully I can find some good tips and pointers and not spend so much time figuring out the schedules and how everything is run.
Old March 20th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Welcome to CM.

The Splendor is a wonderful ship.

Ask questions. Some of us only have a few cruises under our belt, like me, and others have dozens, but you'll get yours questions answered.
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Captain

Welcome! My DW and I took our first cruise a few weeks ago. This site was really helpful with our preparation.
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

So, Marsdude,
How was your first cruise?? What ship were you on and where did you go? We all love to hear about people's first cruise?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
So, Marsdude,
How was your first cruise?? What ship were you on and where did you go? We all love to hear about people's first cruise?
Donna (great name - as it is the same as my wife's), thank you for your interest. I did put up a very short and bad synopsis of the cruise here on the NCL threads.

In short, we had a wonderful cruise. We were on the NCL Dawn out of Miami on 2/26/12. A few observations as a new cruiser:

Coming up to the ship before we boarded the Dawn seemed ENORMOUS! After boarding the ship seemed smaller than I expected, then after I got to really know the ship it seemed much bigger that my initial impression. Has anyone else had that experience?

Another thing that really stood out on the cruise was the amazing crew. What great service! I am in the hospitality industry and was trained in customer service at Harrah's Club in Lake Tahoe many years ago. IMHO the service on the Dawn was exceptional! Sure there was one or two incidents of less than excellent service but that was over a period of 10 days and nearly 24/7. Seriously, a BIG thumbs up to NCL on their crew.

My wife is very picky about food but had no problem finding things she liked to eat. We both thought the food on board at all the venues were very good. The coffee in the buffet - well I drank it and I still live. Lets leave it at that.

We found a lot of the main shows to be a little lame. Not terrible, but not great. Second City we really liked. We went to the "Presumed Murdered" lunch and would recommend it.

I don't want to hijack here so I will keep it really short. In summary let me say that we really enjoyed cruising so much that we have already decided to book another in the fall. Being at sea is wonderful. The crew was wonderful. The people on board we met were great. We enjoyed the food and a lot of the entertainment. What is not to like?
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Hey Marsdude, I'm glad you're going on another one. I've only done a few cruise myself but the two i've been on were like that...mostly good, a few little things here and there...but not really anything to complain about...but some people will.....