CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   Best Time to Visit Alaska? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/389355-best-time-visit-alaska.html)

lisacan May 14th, 2012 03:07 AM

Best Time to Visit Alaska?
 
Thanks for this guide paul. I was starting to read about your port selecting tips, just i was not sure which time is best to visit Alaska. My family wants to visit Alaska this summer. Any Idea ?

Manuel May 14th, 2012 09:08 AM

We did our Alaska cruise at the end of July and we enjoyed great weather.
I do recommend visiting Alaska. it's makes for a wonderful cruise.

TM

Donna May 14th, 2012 08:05 PM

I've gone in early Sept. and middle of July, both times encountered great weather, plus a little rain, but nothing to spoil a day in port...You just never know what to expect in Alaska...

lisacan May 18th, 2012 10:51 AM

@donna we have decided to go in july, hopefully we will have better times then any other cruise vacation. :o

Kamloops Cruiser May 18th, 2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisacan (Post 1428958)
@donna we have decided to go in july, hopefully we will have better times then any other cruise vacation. :o

July in Alaska and the West Coast is usually the best weather of the summer.
This is when the summer ridge builds and we get the warmest and driest weather of the season.:roll:

Donna May 18th, 2012 07:10 PM

Lisa,
I bet you have lovely weather and an awesome time in Alaska, have fun!

karquist77 May 28th, 2012 07:50 AM

What would be the best time to visit Alaska
 
If I wanna go to Alaska, what would be the best time to visit? As the weather is very much different, What preparation i should take to travel to Alaska ?

Donna May 28th, 2012 09:46 AM

Just about anytime is a great time to cruise to Alaska. Since it is a rain forest, you can expect to see some rain, so rain gear is good to have with you. Dressing in layers is the way to go in Alaska, peel off clothes as the day warms up. I have been there two time, and both times we've had good weather.

Fieldmouse May 29th, 2012 11:19 AM

Alaska is truly beautiful...we've cruised right at the beginning, middle and end of the season and the weather can be a little unpredictable from day to day AND even port to port...so we took outerwear that we could layer.

karquist77 May 29th, 2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1430133)
Just about anytime is a great time to cruise to Alaska. Since it is a rain forest, you can expect to see some rain, so rain gear is good to have with you. Dressing in layers is the way to go in Alaska, peel off clothes as the day warms up. I have been there two time, and both times we've had good weather.

Thanks Donna

Paul Motter May 29th, 2012 10:35 PM

For weather I would agree that Julyand August are the best - Not late August or Sept, and not May.

That is if you want the best weather - prices are a different matter, you can go in early June and save a lot of money, and most likely have grteat weather also, but there are never any guarantees no matter when you go.

Trackypup May 30th, 2012 12:02 AM

I think Alaska is a crap shoot as far as weather. We had friends who did a 14 dayer in late July and had terrible weather. We went late May and were sunbathing in Glacier Bay and people were in the pool, t-shirts walking around Juneau. We've been in early September and very raining and dull. Alaska, you take your chances as far as weather goes.

Lakers Fan May 30th, 2012 12:21 AM

Alaska-May
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1430402)
I think Alaska is a crap shoot as far as weather. We had friends who did a 14 dayer in late July and had terrible weather. We went late May and were sunbathing in Glacier Bay and people were in the pool, t-shirts walking around Juneau. We've been in early September and very raining and dull. Alaska, you take your chances as far as weather goes.


We cruised to Alaska in May 2008 . Everyone we spoke to told us to pack winter clothes .The lowest temperature was 72 degrees .The highest was 78 .

Trackypup May 30th, 2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1430403)
We cruised to Alaska in May 2008 . Everyone we spoke to told us to pack winter clothes .The lowest temperature was 72 degrees .The highest was 78 .

It was May 2009 that we were there. Which ship were you on? We were on Zuiderdam

Kamloops Cruiser May 30th, 2012 11:15 AM

If you cruised to Alaska this year . The weather was for the birds . Most webcams showed rain , drizzle and low clouds. As in May 2010 high temp records where set in some ports and we had 12 days of son out of 14 . Those 2 just cloudy and dry.

Lakers Fan May 30th, 2012 12:13 PM

Alaska
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1430405)
It was May 2009 that we were there. Which ship were you on? We were on Zuiderdam

We were on the Volendam .


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1