CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   Sail and Sign Card - 1st cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/390834-sail-sign-card-1st-cruise.html)

fayrita July 25th, 2012 06:22 AM

Sail and Sign Card - 1st cruise

This site has answered so many of my questions by just going around and reading everyone's posts. Being a 1st time cruiser, I've had so many questions but haven't seen the answer to this one.

I'll be booking a cruise for myself and two adult daughters next week for a 5 day cruise in April 2013 out of New Orleans on the Carnival Elation. This cruise is my treat for my daughters who have never been on a cruise either. I'm trying to set a budget for each of us. My question is.....Will I be able to set a limit on my daughters' sign and sail cards and add to it if needed? I really don't want to just give them full reign of my credit card. I don't think they would take advantage of it but I do need to be in some kind of control and still allow them to do the things they wish to do on ship but on the other hand I need to keep us all in budget. Also..would I be able to pay for any excursions we did for the 3 of us from my sail and sign card or do these have to be done on each individual card? Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this would be most appreciated.

aerospace July 25th, 2012 06:57 AM

You can set a daily spending limit on each card through guest relations.

Alternatively you can setup their accounts as cash accounts by putting down a deposit. That option would allow you to set the top limit and if there was a reason you wanted to raise the limit you could give them the cash they could add to their account, providing they are old enough to handle money. Say one has reached the limit but you approve of them to play bingo in addition today.

Excursions can be paid with your card or prepaid with credit card through the cruise line beforehand.

fayrita July 25th, 2012 07:07 AM

Thanks! I had thought about the cash account but don't want to have to carry that much cash if possible. I like the limit per day. I'm just trying to set a budget with a little wiggle room. We are all 3 very excited and I want this to be a great experience for all. Do you think a $500 limit on the cards would give them enough to enjoy themselves on the ship for a 5 day cruise? I would pay for the excursions from my card. They will have some spending money of their own but mainly for souvenirs, etc., when we go into ports.

green_rd July 25th, 2012 07:57 AM

Each sign and sail card can be associated with a different credit card. You could give your daughters cash and let them spend as they see fit (dipping into their own money if they want to spend more.)

Manuel July 25th, 2012 08:29 AM

fayrita, I'm sure that things will work out fine.

Enjoy your cruise.

I do like Bob's advice.

TM

Donna July 25th, 2012 08:37 AM

I think your limit of $500 will be plenty, especially if you are taking care of the cost of excursions...

fayrita July 25th, 2012 08:50 AM

Thanks, Everyone. This gives me a place to start on the budget. I really appreciate the responses.

ChiTownCruiser August 23rd, 2012 05:22 PM

Another option would be to buy some Funship Dollars to have applied as onboard credit for them and then have them put their own credit cards on their accounts for any additional charges.

If one person didn't spend all their credit, you could ask guest services to transfer the remaining to one of the other accounts. Or if there's an overall credit left, they will issue a check refund the last night.

Here's the link to order -

Fun Ship Dollars

Or call - 1-800-906-7603

jaimehall August 24th, 2012 10:40 AM

Thanks, Everyone. This gives me a place to start on the budget. I really appreciate the responses.

jaimehall September 5th, 2012 08:18 AM

Each sign and sail card can be associated with a different credit card. You could give your daughters cash and let them spend as they see fit (dipping into their own money if they want to spend more.)
voegwerken