CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   Best way to take spending money (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/392960-best-way-take-spending-money.html)

foxylady November 8th, 2012 01:47 PM

Best way to take spending money

Hi

I have just joined this forum and am from England, so don't know if anyone can help me please?

We are going on a Caribbean cruise at the end of January and visiting the following islands:

Barbados, Aruba, Curacao, Magarita Island (Venezuela), Grenada, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten, British Virgin Islands, Antigua, Dominica and back to Barbados.

I have two questions really:

1) Which currency is the best to use? Will all of these islands accept the US dollar?

2) What is the best way to take currency, cash or dollar travellers cheques?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike M November 8th, 2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxylady (Post 1454063)
Hi

I have just joined this forum and am from England, so don't know if anyone can help me please?

We are going on a Caribbean cruise at the end of January and visiting the following islands:

Barbados, Aruba, Curacao, Magarita Island (Venezuela), Grenada, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten, British Virgin Islands, Antigua, Dominica and back to Barbados.

I have two questions really:

1) Which currency is the best to use? Will all of these islands accept the US dollar?

2) What is the best way to take currency, cash or dollar travellers cheques?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

All of these islands will accept US dollars and that is the best currency to use.

In your case I would take US dollar Travelers Checks. You can cash them on board the ship and not have to worry about the ATM fee. If you are sailing on a US based cruise line (not P&O) there will be an ATM on board, that dispenses US dollars, if you wish to use it but there is usually a $5/transaction fee. If you are sailing on P&O I'm not sure what the currency will be. US dollars or UK pounds.

Have a great cruise. Your itinerary is a great one.

Take care,
Mike

green_rd November 8th, 2012 04:06 PM

If you have a moment on land before boarding your cruise, I would get cash from an ATM. The exchange rate will be the one banks use not the currency exchange folks. See if you have a credit card that does not charge a fee for foreign transactions if you think you might make any larger purchases.

Mike M November 8th, 2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1454075)
If you have a moment on land before boarding your cruise, I would get cash from an ATM. The exchange rate will be the one banks use not the currency exchange folks. See if you have a credit card that does not charge a fee for foreign transactions if you think you might make any larger purchases.

The embarkation and disembarkation port is Barbados. The ATM's there will dispense Barbados Dollars. Not too much help.

Take care,
Mike