Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Seeking selection advice

My wife and I are in our mid 50s and until Jan 2013 have never been on a real vacation. This year we did a all inclusive 7 day package to Punta cana and had a great time. We now think we may like cruises even better.

Our 2 main dislikes of the all inclusive seem to be much better on cruises from what I have read. 2 of the most important things for us is quality food and quality entertainment such as shows, comedy acts, etc. The all inclusive had shows, but half of them were done by their entertainment staff, the same ones that do the pool activities and such and were not very good. The food was about on par with what you would get a Golden Corral type buffet rest. We want to go in late Jan or Feb. of 2014 and think we want to do the Caribbean.

With our age, and food and on board entertainment being what is import to us can somebody help shed some light as to what cruise lines, ships or trips in general I should be looking at?

I am totally lost after trying to research on my own and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by BiXLL; March 3rd, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:50 AM
First Mate

Welcome to our world! But please realize that recommendations are going to reflect the tastes of those recommending.

If you're considering a one-week cruise, I'd recommend Holland America or Celebrity; both have good food and good shows. I think Celebrity does better at the troupe shows and HAL does better on the individual entertainers, but on any given trip you can hit something outstanding or a real dud, depending again on your taste. Likewise, if you equate "good" food with "gourmet" food, you're probably going to be disappointed on anything other than the luxury lines.

HAL's cabins are generally larger than other lines'. Celebrity's repeat-passenger program is more generous.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:55 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Oh my no, I did not mean "gourmet" food by any stretch! Just good quality, for instance the "hamburgers" and hot dogs we got down their were like nothing I have ever seen. Milk was powdered, cheeses no matter what color or name attached all tasted the same.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

another example of what I am not understanding is when I check out a booking. Options are Best Available Upgrades, 2 Category Upgrade. These are different prices, but what do they give you for the additional money?