CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   Fees for "public bathrooms, restrooms or banos" (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/396954-fees-public-bathrooms-restrooms-banos.html)

shazam June 13th, 2013 06:31 AM

Fees for "public bathrooms, restrooms or banos"

One thing you should be aware of regarding the "public bathrooms, restrooms, or banos or whatever you want to call them" is that they are not necessarily free. Ihave found in Columbia and Mexico there are places where you have to pay for the use of the facilities. It is a good idea to check ahead of time with crew members about the local customs and charges so that you make sure you will have local currency to pay for the use of these facilities and also the appropirate amount to pay.

Manuel June 13th, 2013 09:59 AM

If you do a ship's tour they will stop in places where there are restrooms.
Another way to do it is go to a bar enjoy a drink and then ask to use the facilities. I have been in Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras and Colombia and we always found decent facilities without any problem

TM

Lakers Fan June 13th, 2013 11:01 AM

I was once in PA and desperately needed a facility .I went into a bar and they said no .I put $5 on the counter and headed for the bathroom .When I came out my $5 was thrown in my face .

shazam June 13th, 2013 11:23 AM

I question the wisdom of going into a bar in Tijuana, Mexico

My friend went into a bar in Tijuana and when he came out his sports coat had been split down the back by a patron wielding a razor. Now I know Tijuana isn't a cruise port but I am leary of bars in port towns because of his experience.

Mike M June 13th, 2013 11:43 AM

This is very common all over the world. If you are going to be touring, especially walking tours, always carry some coins in the local currency.

Also carry some tissue paper, or toilet paper in your pocket or purse because a lot of the public restrooms do not have paper.

In Poland it was funny because the public restroom was "free" but you had to pay for the toilet paper.

When you're outside the USA you are no longer in the USA. ;):)

Take care,
Mike

shazam June 15th, 2013 12:24 PM

Excellent advice from Mike: Carry toilet paper

I have seen lists of what to pack for a trip and I haven't seen the tip to carry toilet paper. This is good advice that first time cruisers will find invaluable.

Phil&Liz June 16th, 2013 10:14 AM

I researching our upcoming trip to Europe, we learned alot about facilities there. There are free ones and there are pay ones.

Nowadays there's an app for that ! Between GPS and an app, you can locate the nearest toliet with ease.

Mike M June 17th, 2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazam (Post 1476284)
I have seen lists of what to pack for a trip and I haven't seen the tip to carry toilet paper. This is good advice that first time cruisers will find invaluable.

Most of the time I just grab some tissues and/or TP from my cruise ship or a hotel. If we are traveling by car we will "borrow" a roll from a hotel. ;)

Take care,
Mike

Trip June 17th, 2013 08:27 AM

Even in the "civilized" British Virgin Island, Tortola, once you lined up for the ladies room, a dollar was expected. When we went to Europe, the dreaded hole in the ground weighed heavily on us. Lucky for us, we never encountered one. I'll pay any day.;)

Don't get me started on my bathroom story in Caracas..oy!

Haimia June 17th, 2013 11:21 AM

Also, it is wise to have a bit of paper on an overseas flight! We had a flight from Europe to the US that included a ski team from Europe. Their flights must have been very close for connections, because the girls were constantly going to the restroom shortly after the flight took off. We were lucky to have extra paper, because the bathrooms were without by half way through the flight (and the restrooms were TRASHED, too!).