Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Disembarkment time

Hi guys,Im trying to arrange a private taxi pick up at Civitavecchia port when my cruise finishes..it says the ship will dock at 5am but what time realistic do we get off so I can tell the driver to pick us up ..its the navigator of the sea thanks..
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:27 PM
Captain

My best guess would be around 7:30-8. You need to get off the ship which depends on when you are allowed to get off (color tags and number). Then you need to find your luggage (and porter if you have too much of it), get throught customs and then out the door. It isn't as bad as other European cities to leave from. Have a blast!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old July 11th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have to say I think that is a little early. This is a disembarkation, not just a day in port, so it generally takes longer. You also have some flexibility with the cruise line where you can choose early disembarkation. This usually means you are the first off the ship BUT you have to carry your own bags all the way from your stateroom to to the taxi.

Be sure to research this is being offered with the cruise line first, but it is usually offered.

Then I suggest you could ask the taxi company you are working with to suggest a time. They should know from experience what time is the best for people like you. It's not their first rodeo. If they get there early do you have to pay extra?

Also - just to add to the conversation, I would expect there to be a lot of cars available to people who walk off the ship without you having to pre-arrange one, but once again some research is called for there.

It is not a bad idea to pre-arrange a car, but my gut tells me that unless you are in a hurry to get to Rome, that is would be safer and less stressful to schedule the car for a little later, say 9:00 or 9:30. You can also get the email address of the car company and tell them you may choose to email them for an earlier pickup.

Bottom line - this is all up to you, you may be wanting to get to Rome as early as possible, so opt for early self-disembarkation (where you have to carry your own bags off the ship). Or you may choose the more relaxed approach where you pick up your bags on shore, and you can tell the ship you want to be off by a certain time (9:00 am is not unreasonable). They will then issue you tags to let you off the ship right after the first self-debarkers.
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Welcome Newcomer

How would you organize the early self disembarkation? Can it be done onboard or must it be done before hand?
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyren View Post
How would you organize the early self disembarkation? Can it be done onboard or must it be done before hand?
You will usually receive a questionnaire around the mid point of your cruise. It will ask what your post-cruise plans are: What time is your flight, excursion, etc. Just ask for self-disembarkation on the sheet.

On the last full day of the cruise you will receive your "luggage tags" and they should be marked as self-disembarkation or a color code that indicates this. If they do not, just go to the customer service desk and request them.

I would not recommend self-disembarkation if you have more luggage than you can easily handle. Two people with five suitcases, two carry-ons and a laptop bag aren't good for self-disembarkation.

I think Paul gave the best answer. The taxi/limo service will know best.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 21st, 2013, 09:18 AM
Familiar Face

thanks for sharing such splendid and remarkable advises with the people... Such an amazing thread it is!!!