Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default 1st Cruise in Jan Many ?'s to ask

HI, I will be cruising for the first time this Jan 2014 with my 2 sisters Since this is our first we decided to leave from Baltimore Md ( we live in Pa) so there are no added expenses such as air fair.
I read only 1 thread about what to take and I would have never thought of an over the door shoe hanger for Misc items. These are easy to fold take little space . Is there anything else I should be looking to take? Also any suggestions for things to do if we get off ship in Bahamas ( My sister is NOT a water person..we are grateful she agreed to the cruise)

Sightseeing without hassle would be great and a bit of shopping. All input very mcuh appreciated

Oh... also I get super sea sick on deep sea fishing boats..please tell me this will not be the case.

Kimmy
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Captain

Welcome to CM. Lots of questions in your post but hopefully I can answer a few of them for you. First off, go through some of the older posts here and you will find a lot of information; packing tips, what to bring, what "not" to bring etc. I always need to bring a power strip because there is usually only one outlet in a room and if you're like me, you have camera chargers, lap tops to charge and it makes it a whole lot easier. Another quick tip is "do not overpack". I'll leave it at that!!!
I'm lucky because I have never gotten sick on a ship (they are built so well these days) but some wear patches behind one's ear to combat sea sickness. OTC tablets work, I hear????
Lastly, go through the excursions that are offered on your cruise and hopefully you can all be comfortable with one.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old November 19th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Welcome...

First of all, please visit this area for tips for packing, etc: Cruisemates.com

Cruising in NOTHING at all like small deep sea boats. I doubt that you will feel the sea much at all, except maybe the first night out of Balt. There is an OTC medication called Meclizine (brand name Bonine) that works very well to keep you from feeling sea sick, but I urge you not to think about it unless you can actually feel the ship moving. (also, I am not a doctor, so this is not professional advice)

You can get off and shop in Nassau in the Bahamas, or visit the resort of Atlantis, which is fun to just walk around or gamble. In Port Canaveral Kennedy Space Center is really amazing.

What ship are you taking?
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We are cruising the Carnival Pride...and thank you for the advice. I will continue reading to find all the helpful tips.

Kimmy