Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:08 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default New to Cruising

Leaving out of Ft Laud next Monday with my 87 year old dad.Neither of us have cruised before.We are on the Celebrity Constellation.My guess is that with the date being before Christmas break there will be mostly "Seniors".
Received an email from Celebrity today saying not to be at the port before 12:30..Is that accurate?

What else can we expect.Going to Cozumel and Key West...
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

These couple of weeks before the holiday are so well priced, you will see a range of ages onboard. I always get to the terminal around 11:30. Aer you driving or flying in that day, or pre cruising and coming from a hotel?

Grand Cayman can be busy, depending on how many ships are in. Very expensive island, with beautiful shops. Key West is more honky tonk.Try to go to Southernmost Point..you will be 90 miles away from Cuba...The Conch Train is fun..it takes you all around with a repetoire of whats, what....enjoy your cruise, you will have a ball!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Cruise lines often tell guests to 'not arrive until XYZ time' because they are trying to control crowding. They hope that at least a few will listen but don't expect everyone to comply. You can arrive earlier but to be honest you may have to wait for a little bit to board. If you arrive at 12:30 you may find there is no waiting line and you can check in and board in one continuous flow, which might be helpful to your father if he has any physical limitations. Personally, I always arrive around 11am or so because I can't wait to board!

How wonderful for you both! Celebrity is an excellent choice. You won't be totally surrounded by 'senior citizens'. A lot of people take advantage of cruises during this time of year because they usually are a bargain. The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are a down time for cruises in the Caribbean historically. People are more concerned with shopping, and holiday preparations.

Cozumel is a pleasant island. It is quite commercial now as compared to the old days when it was really rustic. But, it is a safe port and the people are friendly and helpful. I like it.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:11 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Coming by car about a half hour away.Have parking reservations near the pier.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I'd get there late morning.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator