Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Familiar Face

Default First Cruise - Baltimore to Bahamas

Hi to all
I am new to cruising and to this board. I have found a wealth of info on other boards and hope to do the same here.

Ok, here's a question:
If you are a first timer, is it better to book shore excursions with the cruise line or check the excursion board once you set sail.

We are looking to book a cruise in April 2012 to the Bahamas most likely with Carnival out of Baltimore.

Also, what do you pack that you found you could not do without out, and what did you never use? I tend to over pack.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Janice welcome to our world One thing I never cruise withour is a power strip for all the electronics,and a garbage bag to serve as a hamper in the closet,and also, maybe an over the closet plastic shoe bag, for all the things you need at hand, jewelry, sail and sign card, snacks or whatever.

Are you going to Nassau on this itinerary? If, so walking off the ship and booking at the pier is very easy. If by chance there is something exceptional you want to do,and you want to know you have it booked, tand comfortable with the price, then go for it. Ships tours are more $$.

Remember if you are flying to the port..airline baggage restrictions make overpacking just a memory

Hope your first is a blast, and, you book onboard for your next one

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 1st, 2011, 03:06 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the info-yes we will be going to Nassau. I got a Frommers guide to the Bahamas. Hey, is this board the same as cruisecritic? It seems awfully similar????
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Welcome to Cruisemates Janice,
No, these boards are a bit different that CC, you will notice a lot of friendly posters here, and most do stay within the guidelines here, its a very imformative large group of posters. Feel free to post any concerns or questions you may have.

Do you have a cruise comming up soon?

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 2nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Welcome to Cruisemates Janice,
No, these boards are a bit different that CC, you will notice a lot of friendly posters here, and most do stay within the guidelines here, its a very imformative large group of posters. Feel free to post any concerns or questions you may have.

Do you have a cruise comming up soon?
Hi Donna
Not until April 2012-we havent' booked yet. I am hoping everything falls into place. We wanted to go this year but it fell through. It all depends on my tax return. Keeping my fingers crosssed! Meanwhile I am learning a lot from these boards! I watched a show on travel channel last night showing Oasis of the seas and how they turn the ship around in twelve hours-it was interesting. Also saw the boarding process which solves a lot of mysteries. People were being turned away for not having proper documents. It amazes me that some people don't do their research. If I had any doubts about getting passports I don't now!
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Janice,
Yea, I saw the Oasis show too, very interesting...What ship do you want to cruise on next April?

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Hi Janice,
Yea, I saw the Oasis show too, very interesting...What ship do you want to cruise on next April?
It will probably be the Pride out of Baltimore