Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default First Time Cruise

We're planning our first cruise. My husband and I are in our 50's and we're traveling with our 19 and 21 year old daughters. We're going to New Orleans in July and decided to take the opportunity to take a cruise. I've been dying to go. Looks like Carnival is the only cruise ship departing from New Orleans in July 2014. I'm concerned about 4 people staying in one room. Can we do this comfortably? I hate to spend the money on an extra room if not needed.

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Admiral

4 adults in a cabin is not necessarily my idea of fun! Cabins that hold 4 are not any bigger than cabins that hold 2. You'll have one bathroom and one TV, so you have no privacy and are always bumping into each other. Depending on the configuration of your cabin, you could end up with the two kids in trundle beds (single beds that pop down out of the ceiling and you have to climb a ladder to get into), a double fold-out couch, which you really wouldn't want to put two siblings into, or one trundle bed and a single sleeper sofa, neither of which are really all that comfortable.

Yes, putting 4 people in a cabin is cheaper than putting 2 people in two cabins, but you have to decide if sanity is more important than money.

You might think about two inside cabins, or perhaps one oceanview or balcony for you across from an inside cabin for the kids. It'll cost you more money, but is definitely more comfortable for everyone and will keep your sanity.

As I always tell people who want to do a cabin for 4 adults; if you're not really good friends when you go in there, you'll be really good enemies when you come out!

You really do have to consider what is more important to you; sailing as cheap as possible or sailing more comfortable?

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old January 15th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Admiral

I totally agree with Cruise Planner. Save your sanity (and privacy) and go for the 2 cabins, put the kids in an inside cabin. Really, there is so much to do on board they will only be showering and sleeping in there, or watching movies on TV.
Enjoy your first cruise, I guarantee it won't be your last!

donna
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Looking forward to a first cruise is exciting, but 4 adults in a cabin will really put a damper on it, I believe. Much easier to do with little ones...

Your kids will be coming & going on their schedules,and having their own cabin, makes sense, not to mention bathroom time...

Ask your travel agent to work a great deal

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 15th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'll also agree, would be a stretch having all in one cabin, especially showering and getting ready for the evening after being out all day enjoying either the ship or an island. Possibly an inside and an outside close by?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for everyone's input. Looks like I'll be booking two rooms. Getting excited!
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I don't blame you...please come back and share your experiences!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator