Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:44 AM
Familiar Face

Question Need help

I have a cruise book for the 5th of May on NCL SKY. I am going solo. I am 29 years old and 6 feet 2 inches tall

I need information on

1. what to pack ? I just don't want to over pack.

2. do they offer dance lessons which I need?

3. what to look forward to with being on the first flight and a ocean cruise?

4. what plug in does the airline use for a dc power source?
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Congratulations on your first cruise!
What to pack? Not as much as you think. Think casual, T-shirts, shorts, sandals, and bathing suits.
Decent pants and shirt for the dining room (no shorts or jeans), and at least 1 "formal" suit and tie for formal night. Comfortable shoes for walking the ship and on shore excursions.
Dance Lessons? Yes, watch the daily schedule of activities (delivered to your room) for all kinds of dance lessons, line dancing, tango, hip hop, many ships offer many different kinds of dance, usually by the entertainment staff.
What to look forward to? Lots of fun! Depending on how far you live from the port of departure, your flight may be a bit uncomfortable for your height, but you'll survive. Get up and stretch when you can. May I suggest if you're flying from a wintery climate, GO A DAY EARLY! If there's a storm, you miss your flight and you miss your cruise. As for the cruise, you will enjoy the relaxation of everything being done for you. Your room is cleaned daily, your meals are served to you, and there is entertainment galore on board. also check the daily schedule for singles get togethers.
DC Plug? 110 universal, if you are from the U.S. or Canada. If you are from the U.K. you might need an adaptor.
Hope that was helpful, enjoy your cruise!

donna

Old January 19th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

1. what to pack ? I just don't want to over pack. remember baggage restictions and don't overpack. many ships are more casual now..comfy shoes for walking in port...what ship and itinerary are you sailing?

2. do they offer dance lessons which I need? Don't be surprised at how tiny the dance floors are..you become chummy, real fast

3. what to look forward to with being on the first flight and a ocean cruise? Bring a tablet or an ipod to enjoy, as you cross the miles...your leg room might be a bit troublesome, but if it's a widebody, get up and walk aroundas much as you can.

Do some research to see what excursions interest you. Realize you will get lower prices then the ship, offers with vans and taxis in port doing the same options inmost cases..If you meet some new friends onboard, see if anybody wants to share the cost. Bring a hilighter and check off what interests you in the daily activities sheet, left in your cabin each night....be willing to chat up strangers that will become pals during the cruise. Try new foods, you otherwise you might not try..on a cruise, it's easy. See as much of each port you can, and try local foods...make memories.

Make sure you purchase travel insurance, so very important!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 19th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.link1 View Post
I have a cruise book for the 5th of May on NCL SKY. I am going solo. I am 29 years old and 6 feet 2 inches tall

I need information on

1. what to pack ? I just don't want to over pack.

2. do they offer dance lessons which I need?

3. what to look forward to with being on the first flight and a ocean cruise?

4. what plug in does the airline use for a dc power source?
As far as what to wear, remember that NCL has no mandatory formal nights. Not many people wear suits or long gowns, but if you like dressing up a little, you will not feel out of place. The MDR and one of the specialty restaurants requires long pants and a collared shirt, close toed shoes. Khakis or jeans are acceptable. You can wear shorts in any of the others. NCL has lots of specialty dining venues, with cover charges of $15 to $30 pp. If your budget allows, you might want to budget some money for two or three. I highly recommend the steaks at Cagneys, $30 and Moderno ( Brazillian Churrascaria ), $20. And do not miss the salad bar on the latter!

I highly recommend you sign up for a Roll Call for your cruise. You can look for one here, and if none, you can start one. Also you can google Norwegian Roll Calls and that will take you to a site where you can find your ship and sail date.
It is a great way to get introduced to other people on your cruise before you even sail, plan excursions and ship board meet and greets, usually held the first sea day after embarkation.

P.S. Take some Bonine with you, or similar seasickness meds, just in case.