CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   Transportation to Port from Airport (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/401458-transportation-port-airport.html)

pamela.mikal March 17th, 2014 06:50 PM

Transportation to Port from Airport

My fiancÚ and I booked our honeymoon for the Western Caribbean for April 14th to the 18th. We have never travelled to Florida (or anywhere else for the matter) before.

-on Apr. 14th our flight comes in at 9:48am at Ft Lauderdale Airport and our Cruise leaves Miami at 4:00pm

-on Apr. 18th our ship returns at 8:00am and our flight departs from Ft Lauderdale Airport at 6:45pm

We have looked at shuttles and rental cars but we have no idea what to do.. I hear there are Tolls and thing we will have to pay if we take taxi or car. Does anyone have some advise or suggestions?

Dave Beers March 17th, 2014 07:38 PM

Looks like you are on the Carnival Ecstasy, is that correct?

Since you are flying in on the day of the cruise, why not get transfers through the Carnival? They do them from FLL to the port of Miami for $30 each one-way. A Carnival rep will be at the airport with a sign and they will make sure you get to the ship with your luggage.

Since your return flight is so late, you might want to look at doing a post-cruise excursion. Many of them are set up specifically for guests with later flights and they'll drop you at the airport. It certainly beats spending 8+ hours sitting at FLL, which is what you are looking at unless you rebook an earlier flight.

Trip March 17th, 2014 09:17 PM

I am not a fan of cruise ship transfers, so my advice would be on arrival to use:
SAS Transport Quality Shuttle Service at Affordable Prices. They are the most resonable @ $15.00 pp. We always use them. By the time you get your luggage and board their van, you should be arriving at the ship in time to board, eat lunch and relax,and explore the ship.

On the way back I agree with Dave, do a ships post excursion. This way the ship worries about your luggage, not you,and you get to extend your trip a bit, in plenty of time to get you to the airport, without the being in the rush of most cruisers leaving late morning /early afternoon.

Any more questions please ask, we are ready to help...oh. btw..did you get travel insurance?

mycruiseandvacations1 March 22nd, 2014 02:57 PM

Personally I must agree with the advice of SAS Transport Quality Shuttle Service at Affordable Prices. They are great at only $15.00 per person and have always expedited getting many of my friends and myself and family to vessels. SAS recently upgraded their service to include reservations service to include Android and I phone services.

While utilizing Carnival Cruise lines service is an option (and they will take care of you if the flight is late - phone ahead if possible to hold ship) it appears you have coordinated your schedule well. At the end of your cruise I recommend you relax and leave the negotiating to Carnival and go see my friend Allie Alligator by booking the return transfer with Everglades tour. It can be booked one way and you can utilize SAS to expedite you to the ship and get on wind down, relax, and enjoy lunch on the day of arrival. I trust your agent or professional travel concierge told you about Carnival's Faster to the Fun as it is per cabin and not per person and truthfully worth it unless someone in your cabin is a VIFP Club Platinum and/or Diamond member like myself.

Donna March 22nd, 2014 05:18 PM

Last time on Carnival, I did use the cruiseline transvers and they worked wonderfully, so if your first choice doesn't pan out, at least you always have that.