Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default Two Questions - Taxis and Gift Cards

Hi there. We are getting ready for our cruise, and I have a couple of questions.

The first is, after the cruise, is it fairly easy to get a taxi to take us to the airport? Or, would it be best to reserve seats on a shuttle?

The second question is, would we be able to use a visa gift card towards our onboard account? For Christmas, we received a nice gift, and instead of using a credit card, we were hoping to use it for our onboard expenses.
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Admiral

Hi Margie,

There will be a line of taxis outside the terminal. You didn't mention your port. In Fort Lauderdale a taxi is fine at other ports a shuttle might be a better option.

I'm not sure about the gift card. That is a good question for your travel agent. You might be able to use it but should have a backup plan in case you draw down the entire card. I know we had split expenses once when my card got blocked due to fraud concerns.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieP View Post
Hi there. We are getting ready for our cruise, and I have a couple of questions.

The first is, after the cruise, is it fairly easy to get a taxi to take us to the airport? Or, would it be best to reserve seats on a shuttle?

The second question is, would we be able to use a visa gift card towards our onboard account? For Christmas, we received a nice gift, and instead of using a credit card, we were hoping to use it for our onboard expenses.
In regard to taxis, it depends on what port you are going out of and where you are coming from. In Miami taxis are plentiful at the airport and it will be a flat rate of around $25 from the airport to the port. It's the same for Fort Lauderdale airport. The taxi is not a flat rate but the port is close to the airport so it won't be more than $15 - $20. I don't recommend a shuttle for either port unless you have more than three people or a lot of luggage.

If you are staying at a hotel near the port than I would check to see if they offer shuttle service. Most hotels in downtown Miami do not offer shuttles but the cab ride from downtown is fairly inexpensive. Most airport hotels do have shuttle service. Some are free and others are around $10/pp. Check with your hotel.

For other ports like New Orleans or Los Angeles it is dependent on your location.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 25th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks Bob. Our port is Miami, and will be going to MIA.

We plan on having our credit card, but figured we might as well use the gift card on the ship if we could.
Old March 25th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Familiar Face

Hi Mike,

Our port is Miami, and will be heading home via MIA. We do know our hotel does not offer shuttle service to the port. We just want to make sure we will not have trouble getting a taxi to head back to the airport.