Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2014, 03:09 PM
Captain

Default Lesson learned about cruisemate choice

I remember one of my cruisemates was a guy who wanted to play the ship's piano/s. This was really funny because I didn't find out about this interest until we were on the ship although I should have had a hint of what was going to come when I had to help him with his second bag which contained his piano sheet music. The bag was not a small attache it was a full-size suitcase. Well to make a long story short. As I wandered over the ship I found my cruisemate moving from piano to another. He was frustrated at times when he found that the piano/s were locked. But he befriended the ship pianist and he let my cruisemate play the piano during his breaks. The lesson learned is that when you find a cruisemate ask them what they are interested in.
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2014, 04:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Why did this have any effect on your cruise?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 31st, 2014, 08:23 PM
Captain

Sounds like a great roommate to me

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old August 1st, 2014, 06:09 AM
Captain

Default Oh yes this was a great opportunity for me to be a wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
Sounds like a great roommate to me
Sure. this is the lesson learned is to find out about the roommates attributes and you the cruisemate can benefit.
Old August 4th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

In all seriousness, I am a musician, and we can be a pretty compulsive and self-absorbed bunch.

So, if you really did find your cruise mate (I assume he was a roommate?) to be annoying, I would not be surprised, and if that is the case do not feel pressured to only say nice things.

A lot of us musicians crave attention and many of us think we are better than we really are. I would like to hear if your friend was really any good, or if people generally got up and left when he started playing.

If he was good - I agree, great opportunity to be a "wingman" - but if not so good then I imagine you spent a lot of time pretending he was a lot better than he really was - which can get old.
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Captain

Default Paul, I think I understand what you are saying when I saw guy with coronet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
In all seriousness, I am a musician, and we can be a pretty compulsive and self-absorbed bunch.

So, if you really did find your cruise mate (I assume he was a roommate?) to be annoying, I would not be surprised, and if that is the case do not feel pressured to only say nice things.

A lot of us musicians crave attention and many of us think we are better than we really are. I would like to hear if your friend was really any good, or if people generally got up and left when he started playing.

If he was good - I agree, great opportunity to be a "wingman" - but if not so good then I imagine you spent a lot of time pretending he was a lot better than he really was - which can get old.
This is going to sound like a can you top this story but an example of what you are saying is the cruisemate who brought a coronet on board so that he could participate in an amateur talent contest. Of course this story is topped in another vein by a family, probably about 15-20 people who dressed up in costumes to look like King Arthur's court members. And this was for an amateur contest not Halloween. That was very impressive.