Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

Old September 8th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question 17 Year old, first time cruising.

So, my mother has decided to surprise my brother and I with a cruise to the Bahamas. I've never been on a cruise before and honestly, I don't think I've ever really wanted to, I just like planes a lot I suppose.

Anyway, I'm not exactly a really sociable person. I like my friends and it takes me awhile to warm up to people, I don't just take to people instantly. I don't like dancing or partying really, all that is my brother's territory. I'm kind of the bookworm of the family, I like writing and old rock music and all that. I'm kind of really terrified of going on this thing and being miserable for 5 days because I can't find anyone I actually like being around.

What do people even do on these things other than swim? Like, what are we going to do for that whole time? How many other teenagers are usually there? Should I bring anything to keep myself busy since my phone is basically going to be a 500$ brick?
We'll be going on the Carnival Fantasy by the way.
Old September 9th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Hi Meagan,

Welcome to Cruise Mates. You might want to check out the Teen Cruisers section of these forums as well as the Carnival Funville forums. You might find a like minded friend before you set sail. Carnival will set up special times for older teens to meet each other.

There is a library if you need to satisfy you lust for books.

You also sound a bit like my daughter. She liked the companionship of folks in the karaoke lounge, there will be special teen time as well as a possible few over 21 times.

Hope you find you enjoy your cruise.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old September 9th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Captain

You say you're a bookworm and like to write? Well, find a nice and quiet corner of the ship and do just that, read and write. There are a ton of activities on a ship but you won't be forced to socialize or party with anybody. Play it by ear and enjoy the ocean and nature. Compose a nice travelog of your cruise and post it here for us.
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I think I meant more that I'm not sure I'll find those more laid back teenagers kind of thing. I enjoy people, I just don't enjoy obnoxious people…if that made any sense. Does there tend to be a lot of teenagers on ships during this time period?

And yeah, I looked through the teen section but it seems like that place has been relatively dead for awhile now.