Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

Old February 13th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Questions seeking answers : )

Hello Everyone,
I'm a soon to be, first time cruiser. I will be on the Norwegian Jewel, I would love some information/advice from you all.

Can you pack a lunch or snacks from the ship, to take for day trips?

What is the earliest time one can depart the ship in the morning, at ports of call?

Would boarding the ship as early as possible on the day of departure, increase odds of receiving an upgrade?

On return to home port-day, the ship is scheduled to come into port at 8 a.m.; Will I make it to the airport by 11:30 a.m. [flight scheduled to take off at 1: 15 p.m.] if it takes 40 minutes to get to the airport?

WIFI question: Will a Boingo subscription allow access to wifi at hotspots on the ship without incurring the per minute charges?
Old February 13th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrl View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm a soon to be, first time cruiser. I will be on the Norwegian Jewel, I would love some information/advice from you all.

No, ships are very tight on this, foodstuff cannot be taken onshore as it may break local port /country laws on bringing foodstuffs onshore

What is the earliest time one can depart the ship in the morning, at ports

There is no exact time, key thing is when the ship has docked and the Captain and crew have gone through port process to dock. You can dock anytime between 3am and 8am, but only after say 7-8 could you expect to get off first. Docking time dont matter as its more down to the availability of the Security crew to check you off and then back onto the ship

Would boarding the ship as early as possible on the day of departure, increase odds of receiving an upgrade?

No chance, upgrades are like hens teeth these days, and even if you got one it would be minor. Put it this way, you are never going from a balcony cabin to a suite, mini or not

On return to home port-day, the ship is scheduled to come into port at 8 a.m.; Will I make it to the airport by 11:30 a.m. [flight scheduled to take off at 1: 15 p.m.] if it takes 40 minutes to get to the airport?

Disembarking is done in lots, and given your time for flights I would present myself at the ships client desk requesting that you are given a slot with the first lot off the ship after it has been cleared to process passengers off.

WIFI question: Will a Boingo subscription allow access to wifi at hotspots on the ship without incurring the per minute charges?
Nope as they make a lot a lot of money from their Sat based wifi

I'm happy to stand corrected by others on any of this advice if called wrong
Old February 14th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you DavidB for addressing my questions.
I have one more if you don't mind.

In regard to wanting to debark the boat a.s.a.p. to catch my flight upon termination of the cruise; Would not checking my luggage help? Will they let me haul my own suitcase up and down the gang plank? And would it help the "time" situation to do so?
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Familiar Face

I'm not Dave but I will try to respond to your question. You'll really be pushing it but...There is self-assist debarkation where you lug your luggage yourself and you and everyone else doing self-assist go off first (my wife have always used this method). But even then you have to wait until the ship clears customs, etc. Sometimes this goes quick but sometimes not so quick. There have been more and more people using this method. The first time we did it I bet there weren't 200 people but last November I swear half the ship self assisted and it was a horror show. Then there is getting a cab to o. There typically are long lines for this also. When I plan my travel arrangements I plan on not getting off the ship and into a cab before 10:30. I don't mean to sound discouraging but I'd rather sit around getting board waiting for my flight than push it and run the risk of missing my flight.
The other thing we do is fly in a day or two early and fly out the day after the cruise just to avoid all the pressure.
Old February 27th, 2015, 11:03 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrl View Post
Hello Everyone,

What is the earliest time one can depart the ship in the morning, at ports of call?

WIFI question: Will a Boingo subscription allow access to wifi ajt hotspots on the ship without incurring the per minute charges?
Re taking food off ships, this is governed by agricultural laws wherever you are visiting and usually is not allowed.

Once the ship is "cleared" they will announce that you can leave the ship. Usually this happens an hour or so after docking. It will be early enough to do most any excursion or activity you have planned. I think usually it is close to the time shown for "arrival" in port. Make sure you know when to reboard and your watch is set with the correct time. Generally it is 30 minutes before the time listed as "sailaway" on the itinerary. But, I would not board this late unless you are very close by, within walking distance. Otherwise, allow some time for traffic jams, etc.

Re early embarkation and upgrades. There really are NO upgrades at boarding. If you want a free or reduced rate upgrade, watch prices for your cabin type beginning several weeks prior to sail date. Prices often fall as they try to fill the remaining cabins. If you are in a window or ocean view cabin and want a balcony, watch for balcony prices to fall to what you paid for your cabin or even below. Then call NCL, or your TA if you used one, to ask about an upgrade or upsell. We usually like to arrive for boarding at around 10:30. You will probably be in the first group to board, but you will sit and wait awhile because the ship is usually not cleared to board until around 11:30 or so.

No wifi unless you use the ships. Not sure if your ship has the iConcierge app available yet. With that you can call and text others ON the ship, make reservations, etc. It costs a few dollars for a week.

On debark day, the ship is usually actually docked long before the time on your itinerary shows. They will not just be pulling up at 8:00 am. My guess is that this is probably around the time you can expect to leave the ship. I don't think you will have any problem making your flight. They day before arrival back in home port, the debark times will be posted in the atrium area. Just look at the times and decide when YOU want to leave the ship. Pick the luggage tag color that corresponds. Put your luggage in the hall and it will be taken after 12am and put on the dock grouped by colored tags. ( don't forget to leave something out to wear in the am or you'll go in your PJs. ) The list will indicate the estimated times for each color beginning with "Easy Walk Off" which is the earliest. You have to be able to handle your own luggage on your own. And obviously you would keep your luggage in your room.