Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

Old February 21st, 2015, 11:27 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Help!!! First time cruisers!!!!!?

My hubby and I are going on the Carnival Western Caribbean Cruise and we're first time cruisers so we are looking for some advice. My first question is: What are some non excursion activities that we can do (we have snorkeled and ziplined enough on previous vacations) on the ports (sightseeing wise), our ports are Cozumel, Belize City, Isla Roatan and Grand Cayman. I was thinking we could get a taxi on the port and take a drive or something does anyone know the cost of something like that? My last question is does my husband NEED to take a suit? We do plan to have dinner at one of the "pay" restaurants for our anniversary but all other dinners would be in the main dinning hall. HELP!!!!

Thanks
Old February 21st, 2015, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Since this is your first cruise, I would look at all the excursions offered by Carnival first. Yes, you can book tours through independent cruise operators on most ports. In Belize you can go cave tubing and if you are stopping in Grand Cayman, snorkeling with the string rays is great fun as well. Just do your homework and decide what you want to do in each port.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 21st, 2015, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Welcome to Cruisemates....Your husband will not need to wear a suit, no worries. Most first timers prefer to book through the ship, but know right off the ship, there are other options.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 26th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Western Caribbean Highlights

We've been to all the ports except Belize and never have taken an excursion, preferring to walk around and soak it all up. Some highlights, from my perspective:

* Cozumel--this is a great shopping town. The silver jewelry is reasonably priced and very handsome, the Mexican crafts are a lot of fun to look through (and buy!), and you can get great deals on things like Kahlua. You might want to take a cab into town from the ship because it's quite a very long walk (although we're walkers, so we do it)

* Grand Cayman--has a pretty waterfront, where you can watch men clean fish for the locals, and some shopping and restaurants

* Roatan--not really a tourist town, but interesting as a place where folks actually live and work. There's an indoor craft/souvenir market not too far from the port with reasonably priced crafts and an interesting food market further away

Your husband doesn't need a suit, but might want to take a jacket and tie. The dress on the cruise ships is getting progressively more casual, but on formal nights, most men were a jacket with or without a tie. For women, you can wear anything from a nice pair of pants to a dress to a gown. Hope that helps. I know you'll have a blast! - musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com
Old July 16th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Welcome Newcomer

A cruise vacation can be an extremely expensive vacation but if you follow these tips you could save money and make your vacation even more special.