Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

Old March 7th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Exclamation Royal Caribean Legend of the Seas - Far East October 2015 - lack of info on the net!

Hi, Me & my partner are going on our first cruise this October. We are going on the Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas 10 day far east tour.

I am really struggling however to find other forums, blogs or reviews with pictures of anyone else who has been on this specific cruise as I want information as to how much activities and what we can do when we go off the ship.

Any help would be amazing its worrying me how little information there is! I have so many questions and would like to speak to other people who are going on this cruise too!

Thanks in advance!
Old April 6th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

help..? anyone...?
Old April 6th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Admiral

I just did a Holland trip in February that went to basically all those ports. As a first timer I would look on RCL's website and go through all the excursions that you will have and pick what interests you. From there you can decide if you want to do something different or on your own. You can book tours independantly that will mirror the ones on offer and they can be cheaper and smaller groups...my first stop would be viator.

Vietnam was amazing; tons of history and sites to see, or simply take the ship shuttle into town and walk around, have some lunch, do some shopping. Everything is incredibly cheap especially if you like to bargain. Cars have not been available for more than a few years so they are expensive and everyone uses motorcycles...and I mean thousands all going around with basically no road rules(be really careful crossing streets).

Thailand has many beautiful temples to see and also cheap shopping. Many people who went to Bangkok didn't enjoy it, to big, to much like every other major city, a long bus ride from port, etc. I choose not to go and stayed in nearby cities/ports to see the local way of life. Do you really need to see highrise buildings? I would highly recommend you get a massage of some kind in Vietnam or Thailand(or both) as wages are really low so it's cheap. In Thailand I got an hour long foot massage that translates to $6, when I gave them a $10 they struggled to have change and I didn't want any...you would think I delivered their baby at how happy they were. A full body massage will run about $10-12/hour and of course you could get other spa services like facials/etc too.

Cambodia was a let down for me. We also only went one day so I decided that was going to be the only day I took a ship tour. 8 hours but so boring, everyone so poor you feel sorry for them and not much amazing to see. We visited a school and the teachers who have degrees earn $120/month salary.

Singapore is very small and can be seen in little time. I flew out the day we arrived and just did the transfer to the airport that takes you around the city a bit for about 3.5 hours. Nice photos but not really a must see. They are so western it's like so many other places I've seen. You might stay 2-3days but I wouldn't plan on more.

If you have specific questions you might get better replies. I'm sure many here have been to asia.

If all fails they will have several talks throughout the cruise discussing the ports, giving you local port maps, discussing the excursions and showing pictures, or discussing what you can do on your own. Helps to pre-plan some but don't feel you need to schedule every port now going with the flow and seeing how you like the country on the first day will help you decide what you want to do on the next port day.

Hope it helps some. Have fun!
Michael

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries