Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

Old April 28th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Vancouver to Hawaii

I'm thinking of taking a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii this September. It would be 10-day cruise...Has anyone taken a similar cruise (open ocean) that time of year? I've been trying to research ocean conditions to make sure it won't be too rough. I would just hate to be out at sea for that long and be miserable. I tend to get a little motion-sick. I plan on wearing the patches already.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old April 29th, 2015, 07:44 AM
First Mate

I don't believe anyone can predict ocean conditions; you may start out with sun and calm seas, then a storm comes out of nowhere to make for rough seas. If this cruise is something you want; then just do it. You will be at sea for 4-5 days so wearing the patch will probably help with rough seas. Good Luck. Or another option is to fly to Hawaii and sail NCL Pride of America.
Old April 29th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Actually, many Alaska cruises star out in this water and it can be a little rough the first day, but not too bad. First-time cruisers often feel some psychological sea-sickness solely because they realize they are at sea.

The patch (scopolamine) is more than enough to handle that, though. (I am NOT a doctor) as is Bonine, the pill which probably has fewer side effects.

I am pretty much beyond the point where I feel any sea sickness, fortunately for me, but I do know how it feels and it isn't fun. If I am in a really bad situation I take the Bonine and ride it out.
Old May 19th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We're doing a Los Angeles roundtrip Hawaii cruise, which is similar. I've read crossing the Alaska Current can be a little rough.
Old May 19th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes, the water just off the coast of California, which comes down from Alaska, can be a little rough for a day or so. Try to get a stateroom that is midships, and have some Bonine ready just in case. Once you get past the possibility of getting sick you will enjoy the cruise and forget about all this....

The truth is that most of us rarely if ever get sick, and if we do we just take a little medication (I recommend meclizine, aka Bonine at stores - but I am not a Doctor!)
Old July 1st, 2015, 03:29 AM
Familiar Face

Discussion is going really well. I got sufficient information through reading this post as my father's friends going there for a two-week long tour.