Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

Old July 26th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Silly First Time Cruiser Questions :-)

We are taking a western Caribbean cruise January 24th, 2016 on the Carnival Splendor. The hotel we booked the night before has free shuttles to cruise ports (would your guess be all? Not sure where we depart from) and upon our return we'll need to rent a car as we are driving to Key West for a few days to unwind from the cruise Are there rent a car places when we exit the ship?

Dress codes seemed to have changed a bit. My BF and I are jeans people but we have nice shorts, jean and others. What is the dress code for most nights for dinner? We are planning at least one "fancy" night. Is a jacket and tie required or can he get away with a dress shirt and tie?

We have an oceanview cabin. Any tips for our cabin? We really just plan to sleep there lol

Excursions? Worth it to book a few or just have a nice meal and shop? We are in our early 60's and fairly active. We swim and boat /fish.

Looking forward to your helpful replies!!
Old July 26th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Hi jkbw627 and welcome to Cruisemates! First, there are no silly questions .

I think that the Splendor is sailing out of Miami? The hotel you booked will know where you need to be and their shuttle will take you (and probably, others) there the morning of the cruise. We think that the shuttle driver should be tipped if the shuttle is free. We give the driver $5.00 for the two of us. I'd suggest you ask to go about 10:30 or 11:00 AM for a 4:00 departure, no matter what the ship's info says.

I'm not sure about rental cars, but someone will come along who does!

You're right that the dress code has really changed. If you're eating in the Dining Room for dinner long pants and a collared shirt are good for men; slacks, a dress or skirt with a nice top, for women. On formal nights a dress shirt and slacks works for men-a tie will look nice, too. For women, dressier pants or a skirt or dress will be fine. You'll see some people very dressed up, but not as many as there used to be.

An Oceanview cabin will be great if you're just going to sleep there !

We like to do a ship's excursion in ports that we haven't been to, but other people enjoy just walking around taking in the sights and eating and drinking locally.

You might enjoy a snorkeling excursion or swimming with the sting rays .

Have a wonderful cruise!
SunPrincess2006NCLDream&
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn&
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess&
GoldenPrincess2009CarnivalConquest&
GrandPrincess2010IslandPrincess&
GrandPrincess2011CarnivalMagic&
CarnivalDream2012IslandPrincess&
CarnivalMagic2013CarnivalLegend2014&
CarnivalMagic&CoralPrincess2015
CarnivalLiberty&CaribbeanPrincess2016
EmeraldPrincess2017 Island Princess2018
CoralPrincess2019
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default First Cruise Info

Well shorts will be the normal wear around the ship during the day. It may get cool in the evening for the nightly movie on the big screen so jeans would be good. Also a light jacket or windbreaker. Swimsuits are a must with all the hot tubs and pools on the ship. Sunscreen, bug spray, sunglasses. It will most likely be in the 80's the whole time you are in the Carribean. A 7 Day Carnival cruise will have two formal nights and no you do not need jacket and tie on those nights. But there will be lot's of places set up for pictures if you want them.

Cozumel is very safe. Catch a taxi downtown have the driver drop you off at Starbucks which is the start of all the shops, then grab a nice Mexican lunch
and a cool beer or Margarita.

Belize city is NOT SAFE! Book a tour of some sort that a boat will pick you up at the ship (which parks 5 miles from the Port) and returns you back to the ship.

Roatan Honduas, Carnival spent $63 Million dollars to build this place called Mohagany Bay Here is the website. Don't bother with the skychairs just walk right to the beach. No reason to do a tour here but if you do. Go on the one with the Capuchin Monkeys it's great. MahoganyBay Home

Grand Cayman - Safe and Clean British Island. Must do Stingray City weather permitting. Or you can take the local bus to Swim with the Dolhpins and Turtles. They are directly across the road from each other. Ask on the ship or any local person to direct you to the local bus stop and the bus driver will know how to get you there. Last time I went to swim with the dolphins it was $100 per person and the give you free entry to the Turtle Farm and some of the Turtles are over 500 lbs. Must see it to belive it.

The closest car rental is Avis 99 se 2nd street Miami Fl 305-379-1317
If you have AAA OR AARP they give a great discount. Also it's on about a $10.00 taxi ride from the Port but ask the rental agent when you book. They may come and pick you up at the Port since it is so close. I hope you have a great Cruise. Ed
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Admiral

"Belize city is NOT SAFE! Book a tour of some sort that a boat will pick you up at the ship (which parks 5 miles from the Port) and returns you back to the ship. "

If you stay within the fenced in area at the tender landing in Belize you'll be fine. Otherwise, I agree that you should take an excursion.
SunPrincess2006NCLDream&
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn&
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess&
GoldenPrincess2009CarnivalConquest&
GrandPrincess2010IslandPrincess&
GrandPrincess2011CarnivalMagic&
CarnivalDream2012IslandPrincess&
CarnivalMagic2013CarnivalLegend2014&
CarnivalMagic&CoralPrincess2015
CarnivalLiberty&CaribbeanPrincess2016
EmeraldPrincess2017 Island Princess2018
CoralPrincess2019
Old July 28th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

First - figure out which port you are departing from. I assume it is either Ft Laud or Miami.

Your hotel will only have a shuttle to one or the other - not both. typical taxi from Ft Lauderdale Hotel to the Miami port (or vice versa) will be $75 (Uber would be cheaper).

Depending on your ports of call, I WOULD t least plan a simple snorkel tour. Snorkeling in the Caribbean is fantastic - unless you have already "been there done that".

Many Caribbean islands are so crowded now that just walking around may not be that much fun. It depends. St Thomas is good for shopping, Grand Cayman has the stingrays - Jamaica has fun zip lines ans horseback riding (in the ocean). You should look into your options - and then decide of you wnt to do them. I would not wait until the last minute, although it is still an option.

Have Fun and enjoy the ship!!!
Old July 28th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You should be able to view and book excursion on the Carnival web-site a bit closer to when you cruise. In the meantime, you can look at what they have to offer for excursions on each port stop and it gives you time to decide what you want to do....Actually doing your homework is half the fun as the cruise.

Message Boards Moderator