Old September 11th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Need suggestions!

I am a first-time cruiser and could not make up my mind.
I am planning to travel from Fort Lauderdale for a 7-night trip on Nov 22nd.
Currently considering two cruise lines.
1. Celebrity Silhouette
2. Holland Nieuw Amsterdam

I have read a lot of reviews. Celebrity has a better reputation but I heard Holland has good onshore excursions to bio bay and departs late at 11 p.m. The price for both cruises are similar. Celebrity also seems to have better cuisine.

Always struggling to make a choice. = =
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Captain

We sailed both Celebrity and HAL and honestly found them a toss up. Both lines were terrific. I'd suggest choosing the itinerary and timing that suits you better. And check out tour groups not affiliated with the ships too. You can get better deals that way in most cases.
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My preference would be with Celebrity. I do have to qualify that with the fact that I have only two Holland America cruises under my belt. I have over 40 total but Holland America is just a line that isn't at the top of my list. The shipboard atmosphere was a bit too serene for me and Celebrity wins in the cuisine.

If the prices are comparable, go with Celebrity.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:52 PM
First Mate

I've been on both ships, and if there's nothing in the itinerary to encourage you one way or the other, I'd also go with the Silhouette. The layout of the buffet, and the variety of food choices there, are definitely better than that offered on any HAL ship. I think the evening entertainment may be a notch better, too.
Old September 12th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Definitely the Silhouette..I sailed her sister ship, the Eclipse and was in love, with the upscale hotel atmosphere, and fabulous food options. The pool,deck is fabulous too! I've sailed HAL,and on one cruise, the ship was deathly quiet at night..while not a party animal, this was not my cuppa tea.

Staying till eleven would not be are terminating factor for me at all..you will find most people,back on board and not on shore....unless possiblynyounarebin a port that has gambling. I think both these lines do excursions very well.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator