Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:02 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Cruise rusty...last cruise 2005...

So my last cruise was on RCCL Sovereign of the Seas back in 2004/05? From that time until now, I've relocated across country to Las Vegas, and have had a lot of changes in my life. The two cruises I had gone on were the best vacations and well, my friend wants to do one for her 40th birthday next year with her two boys ages 9 and 4. My boyfriend and I put a deposit down on Carnival Paradise this week and we booked a Grand Suite.

A lot has changed, I'm sure since the last time I went on a cruise, specifically the drink package which was not offered on my 4 night cruise last time. We're planning on getting that, but question.....does it include the frozen drinks they serve at the pool (as long as it's not in a souvenir cup?) Can you use your drink package in the dining room for a glass of wine with dinner? I read somewhere that it includes non-alcoholic beverage as well (Boyfriend is a diet coke fan)?

Excursion recommendations in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Personally, I'm not a tour person or a beach bum. I want to avoid Stingray city as I'm sure there are no less than 4 other cruise ships in port offering this same excursion area. We like safe adventures and something we won't regret seeing. Not really a shopaholic and he works for a luxury jeweler so I've heard Grand Cayman is a hot bed for diamonds, stones, etc, but he's very judgemental on quality and I'm sure that would be a flop.

Any packing tips? I've seen a lot of people bring purell wipes for their staterooms now? Is this something everyone does due to the outbreaks on cruise ships or is hand washing ok? Seems like a lot of people these days forget to wash their hands....yet they wear masks over their face? I don't get it. Is the general rule still in effect that you cannot bring bottles of alcohol on the ship for use in your stateroom? Do they still have formal nights at dinner? Are shorts allowed in the main dining room? BF is not a pants guy.

Heard the Suites on Carnival come w/ a sail away bottle of champagne, canapes each night, and chocolates? Is this true for suite passengers?

That's all for now, excited to begin my 40's cruising again!!!! Hopefully he'll like it enough to do one every year!
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2017, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl477 View Post
So my last cruise was on RCCL Sovereign of the Seas back in 2004/05? From that time until now, I've relocated across country to Las Vegas, and have had a lot of changes in my life. The two cruises I had gone on were the best vacations and well, my friend wants to do one for her 40th birthday next year with her two boys ages 9 and 4. My boyfriend and I put a deposit down on Carnival Paradise this week and we booked a Grand Suite.

A lot has changed, I'm sure since the last time I went on a cruise, specifically the drink package which was not offered on my 4 night cruise last time. We're planning on getting that, but question.....does it include the frozen drinks they serve at the pool (as long as it's not in a souvenir cup?) Can you use your drink package in the dining room for a glass of wine with dinner? I read somewhere that it includes non-alcoholic beverage as well (Boyfriend is a diet coke fan)?

Excursion recommendations in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Personally, I'm not a tour person or a beach bum. I want to avoid Stingray city as I'm sure there are no less than 4 other cruise ships in port offering this same excursion area. We like safe adventures and something we won't regret seeing. Not really a shopaholic and he works for a luxury jeweler so I've heard Grand Cayman is a hot bed for diamonds, stones, etc, but he's very judgemental on quality and I'm sure that would be a flop.

Any packing tips? I've seen a lot of people bring purell wipes for their staterooms now? Is this something everyone does due to the outbreaks on cruise ships or is hand washing ok? Seems like a lot of people these days forget to wash their hands....yet they wear masks over their face? I don't get it. Is the general rule still in effect that you cannot bring bottles of alcohol on the ship for use in your stateroom? Do they still have formal nights at dinner? Are shorts allowed in the main dining room? BF is not a pants guy.

Heard the Suites on Carnival come w/ a sail away bottle of champagne, canapes each night, and chocolates? Is this true for suite passengers?

That's all for now, excited to begin my 40's cruising again!!!! Hopefully he'll like it enough to do one every year!
The Cheers package is good for all drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, up to $50. You can get wine by the glass in the main dining room with Cheers. If you want a bottle of wine you will receive a 25% discount on the purchase.

You can also have the bottled water in the dining room.

In Cozumel I would recommend Nachi Cocum for a great, all inclusive, beach day. If you like to snorkel or dive I would book an excursion that includes these activities.

In Grand Cayman you can check out Kirk's Jewelers. They have the top quality products. I know that their luxury watches, Patek, Rolex, IWC are not that great of deals. I've never priced diamonds. Otherwise I'm not sure what to recommend. We've done Seven Mile Beach, Island Tour that included the turtle farm and Hell, so now we just stay on the ship if we stop in GC.

The suite perks are not consistent throughout and some things have been added to the newer ships but a bottle of champagne isn't on the list for any ship that I know of. We had suite on Breeze, last October, and there were no real perks, just a larger room with better bathroom.

In terms of packing the old adage still holds true. Take half the clothes and twice the money. They have cracked down on bringing alcohol onboard but some still try to smuggle it and many succeed. If it's found you will have to go to the "naughty room" and claim your luggage and your alcohol will be confiscated and not returned. Carnival now has "Elegant Night" and "dress shorts" are allowed. Dress shorts are basically short Dockers that are pressed. No cargo shorts on Elegant night. I usually wear a nice Tommy Bahama shirt and a pair of long Dockers for Elegant night.

Enjoy your cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Last trip to Cozumel we did a food tour. Booked through Viator. It took a few hours and still had plenty of time for the beach.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:35 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Great info Mike, thanks for the response! My only two other cruises were to the Bahamas both times. Looking forward to checking out Cozumel and Grand Cayman as I've never been to either place. This is my first cruise on Carnival and I have to be honest, I've avoided them because of the many issues I've heard in the past happening mechanically and sanitary wise. I know a lot of people that love them though! So if anyone has cruised both, how do they compare food wise, fun, cabin size?