Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise
Register Forgot Password?

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default ?Transportation & Arriving the day before

On a recent cruise on RCL, I was trying to book transfer from the airport to the ship. I was told that it wasn't available since we were flying in the day ahead of time. We were staying at a hotel that had a free shuttle to and from the airport.
We got around it by lying about the flight we were coming in on. Took the free shuttle to the airport and got on the cruiseline's bus.
Were we not communicating or is this the policy? Can't understand why it would be any different, cost wise, for the cruiseline to transport us from the airport to the ship regardless of when we came in.
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It's a cost factor I would think.Wouldn't you need to have some paperwork? If that shuttle was completely filled with paying shuttle customers..you would have bumped someone out.

If you sailed on a Sunday, Saturday shuttles would be at the ready, for their passengers..On a Saturday, unless there was a Friday ship, disembarking, there would be no need for them to have a shuttle.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 7th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It's a cost factor I would think.Wouldn't you need to have some paperwork? If that shuttle was completely filled with paying shuttle customers..you would have bumped someone out.

If you sailed on a Sunday, Saturday shuttles would be at the ready, for their passengers..On a Saturday, unless there was a Friday ship, disembarking, there would be no need for them to have a shuttle.
The ship left port on Sunday. We flew in late Sat. and took the hotel shuttle back to the airport on SUnday to meet the transfer. Can't see how it would cost the cruise line any more money to transport me from the airport to the ship because I flew in a day ahead than it would be for another passager that flew in on the day of the cruise. I paid the transport fee. If I would have flown in the morning of the cruise no problem.

I ask this question, because I am looking at booking an Alaskian cruise for 2012 and don't feel comfortable flying coast to coast the day of the cruise. Is this a RCL policy or a policy of all cruise lines? Was I misimformed?

Last edited by Marshel; September 7th, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If you purchase transfers from the cruise line it makes no difference if you come in the day before or ten days before. You can purchase transfers without having cruise air. You just have to meet them at the airport. I did this one time a few years ago on NCL when we cruised out of Dover, England. We came in two days early and then did an airport transfer.

The representatives will be in the "unsecured" area of the airport. We spent a little while looking for them and lugging our bags around. Once we found them we just went out, gave our luggage to the bus driver, boarded the bus and off we went.

If you want to do this then contact your agent or the cruise line and purchase an airport transfer.

Just remember, it may be less expensive and less hassle to just take a taxi to the port. The cruise line transfers charge per person and a taxi is per car. In Miami or Fort Lauderdale a taxi is less expensive if you aren't staying too far from the port.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, many and most times, its cost effective to just grab a cab? What port are you cruising out of? You may even safe $ and time, by take a cab from your hotel the day of the cruise, surely something to check into. Also much less hassle having to go back to the airport..

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Admiral

My guess was it was a miscommunication or just someone who wasn't very creative. The cruise line shuttle only runs on the day of departure.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Admiral

the cruiselines shuttles are only available on the ships days of departure and arrival. I am a bit confused as to why you would want to grab the hotels shuttle go back to the airport just to grab the cruise lines shuttle to the cruise pier? seems like a bit of running around to me, when grabbing a cab or even the hotels shuttle to the pier would be so much easier and probably cheaper also
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
the cruiselines shuttles are only available on the ships days of departure and arrival. I am a bit confused as to why you would want to grab the hotels shuttle go back to the airport just to grab the cruise lines shuttle to the cruise pier? seems like a bit of running around to me, when grabbing a cab or even the hotels shuttle to the pier would be so much easier and probably cheaper also
Many cruisers do this when they are flying in late to Orlando for their cruise out of Port Canaveral, an hour away the next morning.

After our Freedom OS cruise out of PC we took the ship's airport shuttle. Upon arrival at the ahirport we then called the hotel shuttle to pick us up for our one night stay.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
First Mate

You should also check with the hotel when you make your reservation; some of them provide cruiseport shuttles as well as airport shuttles.
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Familiar Face

It's what I do. Last time I flew in for a cruise the night before grabbed the hotel shuttle to the hotel. I just told Carnival I was flying the the day of the cruise and gave them an airline and flight number that was arriving around 11am. Took the hotel shuttle back to the airport around 10:!5 or so, grabbed a coffee and headed down to the baggage claim area and there they were. A nice lady with a sign and clipboard had my name on her list and was good to go.