CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Flying To Your Cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/flying-your-cruise/)
-   -   London! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/flying-your-cruise/386227-london.html)

green_rd November 27th, 2011 12:28 PM

London!
 
It seems London is served by two airports. Gatwick looks closer to Southampton. But if we are planning on spending time in London, is one airport preferable to another. It seems Heathrow is much closer but flights are a little more expensive. Is it worth a few extra dollars to be closer - that is air savings eaten up by ground transportation costs?

I know our UK mates can help me out on this one.
Thanks,

johnthed0g November 27th, 2011 12:44 PM

"London" in theory has several airports, Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton & Stansted, plus a few smaller one's like London City. But for your purposes the two main one s are Heathrow & Gatwick, both quite a way from central London but you can catch a train bus or taxi into the city. I would say (not that I have done it) that the train may be best/cheapest, they run from inside the airport I think. As far as being closer to Southampton, they are both around 100 miles away (average) so that is irrelevant. if you are coming all that way I would say have a look at London & if time the Southampton area has things to see, like Winchester, Portsmouth, New forest, Stonehenge, Marwell zoo-park is interesting & there are good West-end /Broadway standard shows at the Mayflower theatre.

Mike M November 27th, 2011 01:25 PM

If you want to spend time in London before the cruise I would fly into Heathrow. If you are just going from the airport to Southampton I would fly into Gatwick. Both airports have train service into Victoria Station and you can connect to anything from there or be close enough to most areas of London to grab a cab.

Take care,
Mike

kandajones November 27th, 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1403088)
It seems London is served by two airports. Gatwick looks closer to Southampton. But if we are planning on spending time in London, is one airport preferable to another. It seems Heathrow is much closer but flights are a little more expensive. Is it worth a few extra dollars to be closer - that is air savings eaten up by ground transportation costs?

I know our UK mates can help me out on this one.
Thanks,

Just adding to John's reply. Heathrow is by far the better airport for travel to both Southampton (Most Gatwick taxi cabs will all-but drive to Heathrow befreo turning left onto the M3) and into London, as there is a Rapid link train, much slower underground, and regular fast coach transfer service. Getting from heathrow to Southampton is also easily do-able by the same Coach service (National Express)
Again coach services from Gatwick into London require a change of caoch at .... yes, Heathrow, and whilst some train services run from Gatwick into London, most require you changing trains at a station called Clapham Junction, which is VERY busy, and not at all nice to negotiate with luggage, or if in a hurry.

Unless we are talking major Dollars difference, I would always opt for Heathrow over Gatwick.

If you venture into London & plan on travelling down to Southampton later, then apart from the direct coach service from London Victoria Coach sttion (driving back through Heathrow) into Central Southampton, there is also an train hourly train service from London Waterloo direct to Southampton Central, which takes about an hour.

In Southampton both the coach & train end up just over the road from each other, and with only a very short taxi cab transfer to the terminal.

Hope that is of some help, please feel free to pass your plans by us, and both we & no doubt John will help/sanity check them where we can.

Speak soon,

Alan & Katrina

johnthed0g November 27th, 2011 01:50 PM

Well I suppose someone who has travelled to the UK & had to actually do the trip is better placed to advise than someone who lives in the UK & has never had to do it. All I can say is the times & distances are much the same whichever airport you choose. We live near Southampton & it makes little difference to us which airport we use for international flights.

kandajones March 19th, 2012 10:31 AM

Hi there, there is a regular train service from St. Pancras (up to 4 trains an hour) and they take 30 minutes to get to Luton Airport Parkway, from there I believe you have to take a shuttle service to the airport terminal.

Alternatively, and as a cheaper option, you can take a coach (National Express) from the central London Victoria Coach Terminal to the airport terminal. There are 3 services an hour, but the journey takes around 70 minutes.

Alan.

green_rd March 19th, 2012 08:37 PM

Thanks Alan,

We're heading your way in less than two months. Found a good flight in and out of Heathrow. Have decided to try a same day flight. We'll see if that reduces jet lag. The trick may be falling asleep on arrival, but something about air travel seems to wear on me.

It will be a landlubbers vacation, no cruising. I think we will try to visit Portsmouth so will probably buzz by Southampton on the train. Maybe we will shoot for a weekend trip to see what ships might be in port.

kandajones March 20th, 2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1421373)
Thanks Alan,

We're heading your way in less than two months. Found a good flight in and out of Heathrow. Have decided to try a same day flight. We'll see if that reduces jet lag. The trick may be falling asleep on arrival, but something about air travel seems to wear on me.

It will be a landlubbers vacation, no cruising. I think we will try to visit Portsmouth so will probably buzz by Southampton on the train. Maybe we will shoot for a weekend trip to see what ships might be in port.

Hi there Bob, if you let us know the dates (either here or via PM) we'll keep an eye open for any special events in the area that might be of interest to you. Also please note if you are going to Portsmouth, that the Mary Rose is closed to visitors, and the Victory is undergoing restoration work, so all her rigging & masts have been removed :(

Anyway, if there's anything we can do to help you have a great land based break, then please let us know.

Alan & Katrina

johnthed0g March 21st, 2012 06:45 PM

Curry night?

kandajones March 22nd, 2012 03:38 AM

fao johnthedog
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1421671)
Curry night?

Isn't every chance a curry night ;)
btw we tried the Rimjhim in Colden Common last week. We were a bit dubious as it is always empty, but as they are doing a weekday special of 3 courses for 11.95 incl a glass of wine, we thought 'why not?'.

Well I have to say that we were both very impressed with the quality & selection of food. Service was faultless, and they weren't at all pushy. Certainly worth a try, and definitely better than the Wickham Kuti's.

Alan.

johnthed0g March 22nd, 2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandajones (Post 1421704)
Isn't every chance a curry night ;)
btw we tried the Rimjhim in Colden Common last week. We were a bit dubious as it is always empty, but as they are doing a weekday special of 3 courses for 11.95 incl a glass of wine, we thought 'why not?'.

Well I have to say that we were both very impressed with the quality & selection of food. Service was faultless, and they weren't at all pushy. Certainly worth a try, and definitely better than the Wickham Kuti's.

Alan.

Thanks...always look a bit grim there.

Spartan kent March 22nd, 2012 02:20 PM

Thats tomorrow night John, now back to airports

Spartan kent March 22nd, 2012 02:29 PM

if you are coming to London for a few days precruise then Gatwick is the better choice, the gatwick express train takes you into London Victoria it's a fast line my wife often used it when there were problems on the normal commuter line into Kent. Then I would pick her up on my way home at the airport. Heathrow is closer to Southampton but not a lot and taking traffic into consideration no quicker to Southampton at peak times.
The main thing to think about is how to get from the airport to the ship if you are going direct to the ship have a look at National Express coach company for costs. :cool:
You can also get prices for hire cars with driver they are like cabs but are not allowed to just pick up at the road side. You can contact them by phone or email they will give you a price to take your party and luggage it is probably cheaper than the train and a lot easier door to door :D

Trackypup March 22nd, 2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan kent (Post 1421759)
if you are coming to London for a few days precruise then Gatwick is the better choice, the gatwick express train takes you into London Victoria it's a fast line my wife often used it when there were problems on the normal commuter line into Kent.

What's wrong with the Heathrow Express going into Paddington?

From Vancouver only our cheap charters go into Gatwick, all the regular airlines go into Heathrow.

Spartan kent March 22nd, 2012 05:03 PM

I suggest you read the original post he does not live in the hub of the universe but lives in Indianapolis where flights are cheaper into Gatwick. :cool:

Spartan kent March 22nd, 2012 05:07 PM

Been checking out transport here are a couple of addresses

Corporate Coaches Executive Coaches Coach Travel - Eavesway it's a coach company that does cruise ship runs from the airports to Southampton.

Holidaytaxis.com looks like a private hire firm that does airport runs.

Give me a few more details and I will look some more ;)

johnthed0g March 22nd, 2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan kent (Post 1421757)
Thats tomorrow night John, now back to airports

Sorry to go off topic....Alan & I like our curry!

Spartan kent March 22nd, 2012 05:12 PM

London Gatwick To / From Southampton Cruise Terminals By Bus ...
Transfers between Gatwick Airport and Southampton compared, public and private transport
London Gatwick To / From Southampton Cruise Terminals By Bus, Train or Private Taxi / Van


This has some really cheap prices :)

Trackypup March 22nd, 2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan kent (Post 1421776)
I suggest you read the original post he does not live in the hub of the universe but lives in Indianapolis where flights are cheaper into Gatwick. :cool:

Keep a lid on your sarcasm will you, it's juvenile. It would be nice to point out both options from both airports for transportation to downtown London for when he's searching. You pointed out only one option. Both airports are served well by either Heathrow or Gatwick Express.

Paul Motter April 9th, 2012 01:29 PM

There is only sarcasm where one chooses to see sarcasm. I took it as a valid comment on the original post.

But to add to the conversation - I have taken the National Express coach from the airport to Southampton, and it was quite an adventure. I expected it would only take under two hours - closer to four.

I do not know if they have an express, but if they do - take it. My route was a spaghetti pattern with stops in every village with a herd of goats.

Good thing I had a hotel booked. Unfortunately, when I arrived I found out I had somehow been booked in the WRONG Holiday Inn and had to take a $20 taxi ride there and to the pier the following day.

But booking the coach in the Internet was easy - prepaid.

johnthed0g April 9th, 2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1424184)
There is only sarcasm where one chooses to see sarcasm. I took it as a valid comment on the original post.

But to add to the conversation - I have taken the National Express coach from the airport to Southampton, and it was quite an adventure. I expected it would only take under two hours - closer to four.

I do not know if they have an express, but if they do - take it. My route was a spaghetti pattern with stops in every village with a herd of goats.

Good thing I had a hotel booked. Unfortunately, when I arrived I found out I had somehow been booked in the WRONG Holiday Inn and had to take a $20 taxi ride there and to the pier the following day.

But booking the coach in the Internet was easy - prepaid.

The coaches go from the Airport to Southampton but not exclusively so, they do stop at points in between, that's public transport for you.
Paul you ended up quite near me I think. Near the Cricket ground?

Dannyboy April 20th, 2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1403088)
It seems London is served by two airports. Gatwick looks closer to Southampton. But if we are planning on spending time in London, is one airport preferable to another. It seems Heathrow is much closer but flights are a little more expensive. Is it worth a few extra dollars to be closer - that is air savings eaten up by ground transportation costs?

I know our UK mates can help me out on this one.
Thanks,


England in general is the most expensive Country to fly from, followed by Frankfurt Germany.
Wait till you see the taxes on your return flight from both Gatwick and Heathrow.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1