Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise
Register Forgot Password?

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Default Why am I here so early?

We have very limited international non-stops from Indy so our first hop is almost always domestic and layover times are often not long enough for any sort of additional security before heading overseas.

The airline industry tells us to be at the airport 1 hour before a domestic flight and two hours before an international flight. To put on my 3 year-old hat, "Why?" Why so early for international flights? In my limited experience check-in takes no longer nor does security. So unless they are just messing with us, something must be going on behind the scenes.

Are they doing some sort of last minute TSA check and might deny you boarding? For leisure travel they have months to do that?

Does luggage bound for international destinations go through additional checks?

Looking forward to your sage responses.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Technically it really doesn't matter. I'm not sure how busy the Indianapolis airport is but I like to get to the airport about 90 minutes before flight time just to make sure I'm not rushing to get through security and making it to gate 94.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I didn't know what a large airport was till I got to Europe. On the way back in JFK, I saw a close second...Just getting to your gate is an issue as I found out in Barcelona..Being early to me, is a good thing I sit and relax, read, and, people watch...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 14th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

What happens with international flights when there is only 1-2 hours inbetween flights? For example, if you were flying from US to London, London to Rome. If they want you there 2 hours before, how is it possible?
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Perhaps it is as simple as the fact that most international flights are on much larger planes (747s) which take longer to board, and they are leave from international airports which are much bigger so security lines are longer.

Old March 5th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
What happens with international flights when there is only 1-2 hours inbetween flights? For example, if you were flying from US to London, London to Rome. If they want you there 2 hours before, how is it possible?
You are mixed up, Golden. The reason you have to be at the airport an hour early is so you have time to check your bags, which often requires standing in a long line, and the TSA can make sure nothing suspicious is in them. When you have a connecting flight - for example, St. Louis to Boston, then Boston to Barcelona - because all luiggage has already been checked, the TSA only needs to see your carryons on the x-ray belt and you in the metal detector. Therefore it is OK if you have less than an hour at the airport for your connecting flight.

That said I would still insist on booking a long layover because once when my flight out of Kennedy was late the delay caused me to miss the flight out of Dulles, which wasn't delayed.

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews