CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Flying To Your Cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/flying-your-cruise/)
-   -   Make it stop!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/flying-your-cruise/389547-make-stop.html)

Trip May 23rd, 2012 03:03 PM

Make it stop!!
 
Flying is bad enough, but, they are really pushing the traveling public too far:( Wonder what could be next.....!

Airlines Could Charge Extra For Seats Together: AP

Lakers Fan May 23rd, 2012 03:25 PM

What could be next ? I heard that some airlines will be having pay toilets .

Mike M May 23rd, 2012 03:57 PM

I just "tried" buying tickets on RyanAir from Wroclaw, Poland to Nottingham, England. I couldn't get their system to accept my credit card. The response was that the credit card number or address was incorrect. Wrong!

What really irks me is that I couldn't find a number to call and talk to a human. That frosts me. I know you keep costs low buy automating but when there's a problem you need someone to talk to. Especially if that problem is not yours.

I'm grumpy right now.

Take care,
Mike

Donna May 23rd, 2012 05:10 PM

I know, that really gets me too, heard on the news, the cost to get two seats together could cost $25 each way....That is just crazy. I usually like a window and an isle....What if there are only two seats on one side??

anniegb May 23rd, 2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1429578)
Flying is bad enough, but, they are really pushing the traveling public too far:( Wonder what could be next.....!

Airlines Could Charge Extra For Seats Together: AP


Hi Trip

Some budget airlines in Europe are already charging for the privilege.

Annie

anniegb May 23rd, 2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1429583)
What could be next ? I heard that some airlines will be having pay toilets .

Henry

Already happens :)

Annie

PS I refuse to fly those airlines :)

Lakers Fan May 23rd, 2012 09:32 PM

The only thing totally free is the polluted air that we breathe .

Bruce Chafkin1 May 23rd, 2012 09:39 PM

In the relatively short 3 decades I have worked in the travel industry, I have often been made painfully aware that that in old Latin, the root word for travel and the root word for trouble is the same word.

This is not a new problem. Humans have been suffering with travel troubles for millenia.
During most of that period, there has always been a solution - and it has generally been the same solution. One need only buy his/her way out of the middle class travel network. Once you find yourself in the premium category (or higher), most or all of those travel troubles magically disappear.

If I cannot fly first class, I stay home. It's just not worth the aggravation.
Flying First Class is wonderful. There is no nonsense, no extra charges, great food, and great service. Just like the good old days.

If I cruise, it must be in a suite. If I cannot afford the suite, I stay home until I can afford it. Cruising in a suite is just like the good old days. Everyone does whatever I need to make me happy. Nickel and diming? It never happens.

You can take your chances and try to travel on the cheap. You may get lucky. But if you do decide to gamble, you must realize that gambling - by it's nature - means you cannot win if you cannot lose.

Trip May 23rd, 2012 10:17 PM

Bruce, Mazol tov, that you can afford to fly first class,and sail in suites...Many can't, and make the best of the bad situation, to have a vacation. I bet the majority wouldn't say, if I can't, I won't _____.

Lakers Fan May 23rd, 2012 11:55 PM

Amen to Trip . I personally know very few people who have ever flown first class .I never have .Nor have I ever had a suite ,on sea or land .

anniegb May 24th, 2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 (Post 1429630)
In the relatively short 3 decades I have worked in the travel industry, I have often been made painfully aware that that in old Latin, the root word for travel and the root word for trouble is the same word.

This is not a new problem. Humans have been suffering with travel troubles for millenia.
During most of that period, there has always been a solution - and it has generally been the same solution. One need only buy his/her way out of the middle class travel network. Once you find yourself in the premium category (or higher), most or all of those travel troubles magically disappear.

If I cannot fly first class, I stay home. It's just not worth the aggravation.
Flying First Class is wonderful. There is no nonsense, no extra charges, great food, and great service. Just like the good old days.

If I cruise, it must be in a suite. If I cannot afford the suite, I stay home until I can afford it. Cruising in a suite is just like the good old days. Everyone does whatever I need to make me happy. Nickel and diming? It never happens.

You can take your chances and try to travel on the cheap. You may get lucky. But if you do decide to gamble, you must realize that gambling - by it's nature - means you cannot win if you cannot lose.

Your employer pays for your 1st class tickets?

On many short-haull European routes, there is no such thing as 1st class.

If you choose your airline carefully, coach on Emirates is very good and a massive 30kg luggage allowance - all free.

Annie

kandajones May 24th, 2012 08:08 AM

You ask what next? well how about .....

In the event of sudden loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the compartment above your head. Place one of these masks over your head, then swipe your credit card to buy the oxygen ;)

Hmmmm all joking aside, maybe with the dirty air in the planes, they will start selling fresh air :roll:

Alan.

anniegb May 24th, 2012 10:08 AM

You can purchase speedy boarding - what about speedy disembarkation?

Annie

anniegb May 24th, 2012 10:50 AM

Charge us extra for an on-time departure and arrival?

Annie

Fieldmouse May 24th, 2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandajones (Post 1429657)
You ask what next? well how about .....

In the event of sudden loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the compartment above your head. Place one of these masks over your head, then swipe your credit card to buy the oxygen ;)

Hmmmm all joking aside, maybe with the dirty air in the planes, they will start selling fresh air :roll:

Alan.

OMG our next investment opportunity :D

Bruce Chafkin1 May 24th, 2012 01:18 PM

100 years ago people had many of the same travel options we have today.

On a ship you could travel first class for a high fee - or you could travel steerage for a low fee.

My ancestors traveled back and forth several times from Europe to North America in steerage class. It was cheap and it got them from A to B.
I have their diaries from those voyages. It was not comfortable and there were many hardships.
But these people were very realistic about their situation.
They knew what they could afford and they knew the consequences of going cheap. They chose the best options with the resources available to them.

The big difference between them and today's travelers is they did not complain about something they could not change.

Paul Motter May 24th, 2012 01:23 PM

Charging for two seats together is just a blatant way to make money - inexcusuable. They still have to fill every seat, so are they going to go out of their way to make sure couples are not sitting together if they don't pay? That is just extra work for them.

Even if you go the cheapest route for the supplier where seats are assigned on a first-come first serve basis, since most couples book in tandem logically most of them would end up together or at least close.

I understand charging to change a seat (tho I may not agree, I understand) - which they are already do if you buy a "premium" seat. But otherwise it is just blatant money-grubbing.

Is there a word for "money grubbing?"

Bruce Chafkin1 May 24th, 2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1429634)
Bruce, Mazol tov, that you can afford to fly first class,and sail in suites...Many can't, and make the best of the bad situation, to have a vacation. I bet the majority wouldn't say, if I can't, I won't _____.

Trip,
Some are indeed very lucky to be able to go first class.
Others are not so lucky, but still insist on having the best - even if it means waiting far longer and saving up to have it.

Even others want to have the very best, but do not have the self-control to wait for it. They settle for second best and then complain when it is not as good as First Class.

anniegb May 24th, 2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1429693)
Charging for two seats together is just a blatant way to make money - inexcusuable. They still have to fill every seat, so are they going to go out of their way to make sure couples are not sitting together if they don't pay? That is just extra work for them.

Even if you go the cheapest route for the supplier where seats are assigned on a first-come first serve basis, since most couples book in tandem logically most of them would end up together or at least close.

I understand charging to change a seat (tho I may not agree, I understand) - which they are already do if you buy a "premium" seat. But otherwise it is just blatant money-grubbing.

Is there a word for "money grubbing?"

Paul

To cut a long story short - BA charge for pre-selecting seats under certain circumstances.

My sister and her OH could not get 2 seats together.

Mentioned this when checking in at Gla for a Gla-Lhr-MCO flight:

Result they were upgraded to Club Class.

Motto: don't pay the fee and get the airline to sort it out.

Annie

Paul Motter May 24th, 2012 02:58 PM

That also happened to me one time on British Air. I was not with my partner who was in Business class, and so they put me with her. What a nice break that was.

I am fortunate enough to have flown in business maybe a half-dozen times, and it is a world of difference. But not enough to justify spending an extra $2000 for it.

I wish I was wiser about getting upgrades, etc, but I have never mastered any of that.

anniegb May 24th, 2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1429712)
That also happened to me one time on British Air. I was not with my partner who was in Business class, and so they put me with her. What a nice break that was.

I am fortunate enough to have flown in business maybe a half-dozen times, and it is a world of difference. But not enough to justify spending an extra $2000 for it.

I wish I was wiser about getting upgrades, etc, but I have never mastered any of that.

I agree Paul, Like you I have flown business class several times and if I was picking up the tab - I'd keep the money.

Upgrades - don't know the knack - but once I checked in at Gla for a Gla-Lhr-HK flight and the check in clerk said listen out for your name at Lhr. ( My naiive days :)

Upgraded to Club Class - to this day I don't know why - nice when it happens though :)

Annie

Donna May 24th, 2012 03:31 PM

Wow, never have been upgrade when flying, it is usually the opposite, they over-sell seats and people are in stand=by....guessing, there could be a future charge for that too?

Trackypup May 24th, 2012 04:15 PM

I don't mind the bargain airlines. Actually quite like Easyjet and have not had any issues. Sure they charge for luggage but they can be a very cheap way of getting somewhere. Recently we had a change of plans in Europe so I needed a couple of flights to meet up with a cruise. Two Flights, Two People, Two Bags for around $300. I take the inconvenience of cattle class for that.

We've been upgraded twice flying to Europe and it was sooooo nice but I would never pay for it out of my own pocket. It would be like someone offering to pay me $400 an hour to sit in coach and still drink for free...Hmmm OK.

We have friends who won't fly unless it's business class, it pains me to see what they pay for their flights for just a couple of hours but I guess everyone has different priorities.

Mike M May 24th, 2012 05:10 PM

I think the people who have the greatest problems with the airlines are people who hate to fly in the first place. It just seems that small problems become large ones much faster for these people and issues that many frequent fliers roll with, the uncomfortable flier finds intolerable and irritating.

Over the years I flew hundreds of thousands of miles and there were very few "bad flights". Yes, there was turbulence, some late and even canceled flights, a couple of instances of lost luggage, but I rolled with it, worked with the airlines and got it resolved. I never cut my schedule so close that a missed or delayed plane would ruin the business meeting or truly impact the customer. I was more likely to cut it close for personal travel. When I fly I basically put myself into a somewhat hypnotic state or, as I call it, "The Zone". I just kick back bring my shoulders in and basically go to sleep. My wife hates it when I do it because she can't.

After a few years of business travel I was almost always upgraded to First or Business class on Delta, Northwest and American. When traveling for pleasure my wife was usually bumped up with me.

After "retiring" I had about 300,000+ miles banked and used those for flight upgrades and a couple of free flights. That went on for about two years. Then one day my wife and I were sitting in LAX waiting for our flight and she looked at me and said, almost childlike, "Why don't we get to fly First Class anymore?" :D My response was: "Now we have to pay for it."

First Class is nice but I'm not going to pay $5,000 - $XX,000 for it. I can handle just about any flight and keep the money. I even flew from Chicago to Hong Kong, 747, back of the airplane, middle seat for seventeen hours. I'll admit I had to use "medication" to get me through that one but I'd do it again.

Today I booked a flight on RyanAir from Wroclaw, Poland to Nottingham, England. Our luggage cost as much as the tickets. The total cost was $204 for two people, two 20 Kilo bags, priority boarding and text message notification of flight status. All of those were additional cost but the total was $204. I may have goat in the seat next to me but I think I can handle it. ;)

If I would have booked KLM or SwissAir the cost would have been about $600/pp. To save $1000, for a two hour flight, I'll stand if I have to. Heck, that $1000 is enough for a nice seven day balcony cabin cruise for one person.

Take care,
Mike

anniegb May 24th, 2012 05:45 PM

Mike

Yes it is all about opportunity cost.

Same principle applies to some cruisers who are happy to cruise multiple times in an inside cabin rather than pay for a balcony/suite.

Annie

Trip May 24th, 2012 05:59 PM

Most of my flying has been between Boston and Florida. I remember the days back in the 80's when the planes were wide bodies on this route. No more.:( The average fare was about $198.00 rt, the norm for this snowbird route. Searching for air for the Epic cruise in March, found some air, over $1000.00. I realize it's high season, plus spring break, but c'mon, I'm not flying cross country!

Last May, as the guest of Carnival, I flew business class, for the first time,and actually had a bed! The service was wonderful as well, but I believe the cost of this was close to $3500.00. Was it fabulous, yes, will I ever be able to do it on my own..no.

On my way back from the hospital in St Thomas, hubby & the nurse were in 1st class,and I was in coach, watching lots of families coming onboard, not all sitting together. Lots of scrambling went on of trying to change seats. Add the new charge in the mix,and thwere will be lots of upset parents.

I think, the nickel and diming to death of the traveling pubic, is a disgrace.

Fieldmouse May 24th, 2012 07:10 PM

Since I already HATE to fly...this gives me even more reason not too. We try to take a train/amtrak, bus or even drive to our destinations, air ports or cruise ports. I admit it's not always possible, especially for our Asian land & cruises adventures... BUT we sure try!!

Trip May 24th, 2012 10:14 PM

We can all watch other people having problems with flying, and, airports. There is a new show on TLC called, on the Fly...I am taping the show tonight at 11:00 & 11:30.

mmbcater June 2nd, 2012 05:50 PM

I have to agree with Trip, I was just on a Spirit airlines and I had to pay for a water-enough already!! I travel for a living-primarily use Southwest. Wish they flew out of the country to Europe because I would love the bubbly service on the long flight!

Trip June 2nd, 2012 06:02 PM

Michelle, how the heck are you old pal...So good to see you again at CM...Tell us what's been going on, where you've cruised to and where you are sailing to! I was thrilled to see your name on this post! xox


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1