CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Flying To Your Cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/flying-your-cruise/)
-   -   Do you fly Southwest? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/flying-your-cruise/394280-do-you-fly-southwest.html)

Trip January 22nd, 2013 10:38 AM

Do you fly Southwest?

Would you pay this fee to board the plane early, get the proper overhead bin,then relax and watch the others board?

Southwest Airlines introducing $40 early boarding fee | Money - WCVB Home

Moiraine January 22nd, 2013 10:47 AM

I fly Southwest when I can. No, I would not use this service.

Lakers Fan January 22nd, 2013 11:11 AM

I only flew on this airline once .It does not fly out of the airport closest to where I live and therefore it is not likely that I would fly on it any time soon.

Trip January 22nd, 2013 12:33 PM

But, LF "If" you did, would you?

Lakers Fan January 22nd, 2013 12:51 PM

Lp ,noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Manuel January 22nd, 2013 05:16 PM

I don't fly Southwest, but if I did, I would not pay that fee.

TM

Donna January 22nd, 2013 07:13 PM

I have flown them once, and would again, but I would not pay the extra fee for a seat, just take my chances...Seems, they too are trying to earn some extra income like all the other major airlines.

green_rd January 23rd, 2013 07:55 AM

Interesting, I thought they already had a similar fare. We will be flying SW next month. Just going to add another level of complexity to what once was a simple boarding process.

Marsdude January 23rd, 2013 08:05 AM

I fly Southwest a lot. I would pay the fee depending upon the circumstances.

Lakers Fan January 23rd, 2013 12:01 PM

I would never pay an additional fee for something that should be free .

grannygoodshoes January 23rd, 2013 01:25 PM

I paid extra for Southwest seat but I would not pay extra to get on a ship early

Yes I would pay extra to get on a Southwest flight and I did about a month ago because I was flying cross country and I wanted to have my choice of seats since they do not have preflight seat selection. I got on the plane and grabbed the seat with the greatest leg room and I enjoyed the flight. The herd of people that followed were fighting for seats and overhead bggage space. The people who really made out getting on the plane first were the wheel chair bound and their families. It's worth the ten buck charge but I wouldn't forty.

The next question is are you willing to pay early boarding fee for cruises. I wouldn't because it's not such a big deal to get on a ship early and the way they line you up in the hall prior to boarding makes you feel like all people are equal.

Laytonblue April 22nd, 2013 07:17 PM

I don't fly Southwest and wouldn't fly with them. Personally, I have seen those leather seats and I don't like leather seats. If the seat weren't leather I still wouldn't fly with them because I like to have an assigned seat. From my understanding they don't give assigned seats. Also, from my understanding-its first come first serve and that's why they have a fee. In some cities across America it probably a must or you could loose your seat, however they know in certain other cities it is almost never a situation that makes passengers loose their seat. So, in those cities Southwest could be making a bit of a mint if people are paying for this service.

green_rd April 23rd, 2013 01:22 PM

As I mentioned before we flew Southwest for our last cruise. The fight was direct with a stop in Tampa. More than 60 of us were on the flight going from FLL to IND, so those who were first in line in Tampa were a little surprised at how little seat selection was available when they boarded.

Sistersolo May 1st, 2013 09:27 PM

I just got back from a transatlantic out of Ft. Lauderdale, to which I flew on Southwest. It is my airline of choice. I like their prices, the humor of the flight crew, and the fact that they have consistently gotten me AND my baggage on time to where I want to go.

If you buy the preferred seating at the time you buy your ticket, the price is $12. The airline seats passengers in the order that they checked in, with the earliest time to do so being 24 hours prior to flight time. Since window and aisle seats fill up first, someone who checks in late will probably wind up with a middle seat; and those are the people whom Southwest will try to entice to buy a last-minute upgrade for $40. They can usually do that because they reserve the first 15 positions for those who pay the extra fee, and normally no more than 5 have pre-bought it. I've been on two SW flights where no one had shelled out the extra $12; on one of the those, two men decided to pay the $40.

Dannyboy May 11th, 2014 03:17 PM

The choice is yours, you are not required to purchase early bird check-in or upgrade your seat.

Southwest
Non-refundable ticket change fee: Free
Same day change fee: None but any fare difference will apply
Carry on bag: Free!!!!
1st/2nd checked bag: Free!!!!

Additional bags fee: $50 each for 3-9 bags; $110 each for more
Overweight bags: $75
Oversize bags: $75
Date/itinerary change: $0 (but any fare difference will apply)
Same day change fee: Depends on type of award and possible point difference
Priority Boarding Fee: Early Bird check-in $12.50; "Upgraded boarding" $40