Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise
Register Forgot Password?

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2014, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Default US no longer will allow powerless electronics

A apologize if this is a repeat.

The TSA is beginning to request passengers flying to the US turn on electronics. Apparently there is a threat that explosive could be created and hide in a cell phone casing. Be sure you are charged up!

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Admiral

They've done this periodically for the last 25 years. They ask you to turn on your computer, phone or other device. It really is a waste of time. You could put a large amount of explosive inside the casing and it would still work.

Many years ago the Compaq "luggable" portable computer came out.

It did fit under an airplane seat, but just barely. It probably wouldn't fit under today's seat. In those days people believed that the metal detector and scanner would destroy the huge 20MB hard drive or floppy so you had to "turn it on" and boot it to verify that it was a computer. It booted off a floppy disk, and the security people had no idea about how computers worked. You could have put a kilo of C4, a 45 Automatic, box of ammunition, and a box of Good and Plenty inside of the hard drive slots and trotted right through. That wouldn't happen today.

I wonder if Pre-check is going to make you turn on your electronics? As of now, you don't even have to take them out of the case. I like that.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:16 AM
Admiral

I would rather the authorities just ban all cell phones - everywhere

Ahhhh peace & quiet again

Alan

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Mike, I remember the Compaq luggable. We used to haul one around to do demos. Had to pop the case to connect to a projector.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Captain

Default The devil did it. Scratched hard drive caused IRS email loss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
They've done this periodically for the last 25 years. They ask you to turn on your computer, phone or other device. It really is a waste of time. You could put a large amount of explosive inside the casing and it would still work.

Many years ago the Compaq "luggable" portable computer came out.

It did fit under an airplane seat, but just barely. It probably wouldn't fit under today's seat. In those days people believed that the metal detector and scanner would destroy the huge 20MB hard drive or floppy so you had to "turn it on" and boot it to verify that it was a computer. It booted off a floppy disk, and the security people had no idea about how computers worked. You could have put a kilo of C4, a 45 Automatic, box of ammunition, and a box of Good and Plenty inside of the hard drive slots and trotted right through. That wouldn't happen today.

I wonder if Pre-check is going to make you turn on your electronics? As of now, you don't even have to take them out of the case. I like that.

Take care,
Mike
Listening to the Senate hearing on IRS losing all of those emails a new twist has been added and that is apparently the hard drive in the former head of
IRS was scratched. This is very interesting because according to the discussion in order for someone to reach the hard drive they would have had to remove numerous screws and parts. Then the question comes up could a
scratch cause loss of emails. The plot does thicken.