Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise
Register Forgot Password?

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Post Don't take a chance of missing a flight, here is one suggestion:

If your flying coach class on a paid ticket to the cruise port on the day of your cruise or you have a morning flight on your return home from the cruise port and time is of essence.
Such as a lay-over less than an hour at major hubs or at snow-belt airports where de-icing & snow removal equipment is standard, where delays are common.
You may want to check if your airline offers any special services for advance boarding. I have had many situations where my flight was delayed at a lay-over and virtually had 15 minutes to race across the airport to catch a connecting flight, only to find out the cabin door was closed and my flight was taxing to the run-way (tarmac).
Flights get over-sold and check-in requirements at the boarding gate give the airline a way out on over-sold seats. I have also booked flights on my return home from the cruise port to find the security line was over an hour long.
I know it is a pain to carry your luggage off the ship, but if you are counting minutes to get to the airport, It is a high possibility that your luggage may not be transferred to the pick-up location at the pier where-house when you are already waiting to pick up and jump in the final customs line. I am Elite with several cruise lines and found that my luggage was not transferred to meet me as I was in first group off the ship.
I have been 1st off the ships and still waited in a second customs line that had 30 passengers ahead of me to declare purchases abroad. You never know when you get pulled out of line to open your luggage for inspection.

I waited for over an hour to pick up my luggage on several occasions at both Miami = MIA & Fort Lauderdale = FLL cruise ports after exiting the ship.

Example: United Airlines offers the following:

Purchase of Premier Access
  • Product Details
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs

Purchase Premier Access to speed up your airport experience.
    Premier Access® lets you enjoy the convenience of dedicated airport check-in lines, exclusive security lanes at select airports and priority boarding, so you can get to the gate, your seat, and the overhead bin sooner.

Prices, starting at $9, are segment-based and subject to change. Premier Access is subject to availability. Premier Access purchases do not include priority baggage handling.

Purchase
  • Premier Access® is offered only for flights operated by United and United Express®, and is subject to availability.
  • Premier Access benefits only apply to flights for which they are purchased.
  • If you make voluntary changes to an itinerary for which you’ve purchased Premier Access, your Premier Access benefits will automatically transfer to the flights on your updated itinerary that are operated by United or United Express, if available. However, if you cancel your itinerary entirely, your Premier Access purchase will not be refunded.
  • In the event of a flight cancellation or involuntary schedule change, refunds for Premier Access purchases will be processed upon request.
  • Premier Access does not exempt passengers from check-in time limits.
  • When available, you can purchase Premier Access for multiple people on your reservation. Premier Access must be purchased for each individual traveler in order for them to receive the benefits of Premier Access.
  • “Premier Access” must be displayed on your boarding pass in order to receive benefits.
  • This offer is made at United’s discretion and is subject to change or termination at any time with or without notice to the customer

Where can I purchase Premier Access?
    Premier Access® purchases can be made on united.com anytime from booking through check-in, at an airport kiosk, on your mobile device or by calling the United Customer Contact Center. Product is subject to availability.

How do I indicate at the airport that I have purchased Premier Access?
    Boarding documents printed after a Premier Access purchase made on united.com or at an airport kiosk must be shown at the airport in order to receive Premier Access benefits. You'll need to present your boarding pass at airport check-in lines, security lanes and when boarding your flight. If you purchased Premier Access on your mobile device, show your mobile confirmation in order to validate your benefits.

Is my Premier Access purchase valid for all segments of my flight or only one segment?
    When available, you can purchase Premier Access for all segments of your flight, or you can choose specific segments.

Is my Premier Access purchase valid for multiple people on my itinerary?
    When available, you can purchase Premier Access for multiple people on your itinerary or reservation. Premier Access must be purchased for each individual traveler in order for them to receive the benefits of Premier Access.

Where is Premier Access available?
    Premier Access is available for United- and United Express®-operated flights departing from airports worldwide, subject to availability.

Is Premier Access refundable?
    Premier Access purchases are generally nonrefundable. However, in the event of a flight cancellation, refunds may be requested at united.com/refunds if travel is not rescheduled on United- or United Express-operated flights.

Are the features of purchased Premier Access the same as the features of the Premier Access benefits provided to MileagePlus Premier® members and other eligible customers?
    Not all benefits are the same. While both include priority check-in, security lanes (where available) and boarding, purchased Premier Access does not include priority baggage handling.
What does "exclusive security lanes at select airports" mean?
While Premier Access priority check-in and boarding are available at all airports United serves, access to priority security lines is offered only at the following airports:
  • Albuquerque (ABQ)
  • Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)
  • Anchorage (ANS)
  • Austin (AUS)
  • Baltimore-Washington International (BWI)
  • Boston Logan (BOS)
  • Brussels, Belgium (BRU)
  • Buffalo (BUF)
  • Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
  • Cleveland (CLE)
  • Columbus (CMH)
  • Dallas Fort Worth (DFW)
  • Denver (DEN)
  • Detroit (DTW)
  • Dubai, United Arab Emitates (DXB)
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
  • Fort Myers (RSW)
  • Harlingen (HRL)
  • Hartford (BDL)
  • Honolulu (HNL)
  • Houston Intercontinental (IAH)
  • Jacksonville (JAX)
  • Kansas City (MCI)
  • Kuwait City, Kuwait (KWI)
  • Lagos, Nigeria (LOS)
  • Lake Charles (LCH)
  • Las Vegas (LAS)
  • Los Angeles (LAX)
  • Melbourne, Australia (MEL)
  • Miami (MIA)
  • Milan, Italy (MXP)
  • Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP)
  • Nashville (BNA)
  • New Orleans (MSY)
  • New York JFK (JFK)
  • New York LaGuardia (LGA)
  • New York/Newark (EWR)
  • Oklahoma City (OKC)
  • Orange County (SNA)
  • Orlando (MCO)
  • Panama City, Panama (PTY)
  • Paris, France (CDG)
  • Pensacola (PNS)
  • Philadelphia (PHL)
  • Phoenix (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh (PIT)
  • Portland, Oregon (PDX)
  • Providence (PVD)
  • Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (PUJ)
  • Quebec City, QC Canada (YQB)
  • Raleigh-Durham (RDU)
  • Reno (RNO)
  • Richmond (RIC)
  • Rochester, NY (ROC)
  • Sacramento (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City (SLC)
  • San Antonio (SAT)
  • San Diego (SAN)
  • San Francisco (SFO)
  • Savannah (SAV)
  • Seattle (SEA)
  • Singapore, Singapore (SIN)
  • St. Louis (STL)
  • Sydney, Australia (SYD)
  • Tampa (TPA)
  • Tulsa (TUL)
  • Washington Dulles (IAD)
  • Washington National (DCA)
  • West Palm Beach (PBI)
Additional airports may be added in the future.

Last edited by Dannyboy; January 28th, 2015 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

When ever possible, I like to fly in a day early....you just never know...

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 28th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Admiral

The last time we flew for a cruise we decided to arrive a day early.We scheduled a morning flight from NY to Fl. Our departure was delayed 12 hours due to weather issues and instead of arriving in FL at 1PM we arrived at 11:30PM and did not get to our hotel till 6 hours prior to needing to leave for the ship.
My suggestion is to leave 2 days early.
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post

That is a great suggestion!

I used to do before I moved to Florida.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old January 29th, 2015, 01:06 AM
Admiral

We are flying in a week early for our next cruise, woo hoo!

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, Royal 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old April 2nd, 2015, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Default Great comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
We are flying in a week early for our next cruise, woo hoo!
Go as early as possible. You put a lot of time and money into your planned cruise and its no fun to arrive leate even if you have insurance. I was thinking about this ar I recalled planning for a cruise from the Northt Florida and a snowstorm that stopped the airplanes from flying the trains from running and buses and care were stopped. Herd to imagine, but this can happen.
I try to plan a short vacation at the cruise port prio to the cruise date so that I don't have to worry about making the cruise on time. Otherwise, I figure i am setting my self up for a bad stomack, worry concern, heart ache, misery, poor family relations, looking dumb for not listening to cruisemate's advice..
Old May 29th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
The last time we flew for a cruise we decided to arrive a day early.We scheduled a morning flight from NY to Fl. Our departure was delayed 12 hours due to weather issues and instead of arriving in FL at 1PM we arrived at 11:30PM and did not get to our hotel till 6 hours prior to needing to leave for the ship.
Smart man!