Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Gambling and Games
Register Forgot Password?

Gambling and Games Slots, Blackjack, Bingo, Bridge & more

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

On the cruises I have been on, blackjack is dealt from an eight deck shoe, with the cut card placed about three decks from the end. Trying to count against this setup is just not worth the trouble.

I have seen the more experienced dealers sometimes place the cut card only one deck from the end. I assume they would do this after sizing up the players at the table.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Passenger

I love to play BJ so for me this thread is entertaining. If one wants to play serious BJ while enjoying all the other cruising fun stuff then I strongly recommend NCL. They have excellent BJ games and is very player friendly. My last few cruises have been with Princess and Carnival, both lines now have those hideous Continous Shuffling Machines which make it impossible to count cards, if you are into that. Also, NCL BJ tables stay on "soft" 17 (example ace and a six), plus they have excellent shoe penetration; their player comps aren't bad either.........Jim H.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Passenger

I agree, I cannot stand those machines. But unfortunately I have a feeling all of the ships will have them in due time. It's just a matter of money.
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

first time i've read this post but have to add my thoughts...

when you give me money to play blackjack, you can tell me how to play. otherwise i'll hit on whatever i would like.
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsec
All the Carnival ships I've been on lately have the 8 deck auto shuffling machines......how would you ever be able to count cards with that?

On the theory that a person's poor play affects your wins....I've never heard anyone give the bad player an "attaboy" when they all win because of that player's bad playing. It's human nature to only notice when you lose.....my 2 cents on the subject.....
Imagine meeting you here! (strayed from CC this morning, as nothing of interest was going on).

I actually thanked the idiot next to me on my last cruise - his dumb move saved my hand. I don't think that he appreciated the situation though -

On our last Carnival cruise there were a LOT of bad players. People standing on A-5 with the dealer showing an 8... and my favorite: a fellow who STOOD on a 7-4, that's right - he STOOD on an 11. BTW, I recall both of those situations well because I lost a couple of hundred on those hands... So you are correct, we do tend to remember more vividly those stiuations where bad play TANKED our hands!!!

For others reading this - if you have not already been there, check out wizardofodds.com - GREAT advice, with strong statistical reasoning. As a matter of fact, he suggests STANDING on 3+ card 16's vs. the dealer TEN. I have done this HUNDREDS of times, most often I would have busted anyway, but that 4 or 5 coming out as the next card hurts! Let's face it 16 is bad either way. Additionally he indicates that the CSM's offer a SLIGHT statistical advantage for the NON COUNTING player. Interesting reading anyway for the beginner, or for those wishing to polish their skills.

Tom