CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Gambling and Games (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/gambling-games/)
-   -   Basketball...? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/gambling-games/328090-basketball.html)

Rfujitani February 14th, 2007 04:14 PM

Basketball...?

I realize the potential for this to sound completely wacky and for me to look like a bit ignorant (which I am, when it comes to cruising), but I feel like I've heard in the past that some cruise ships have basketball courts/hoops. Is this true?

wmufiji February 14th, 2007 04:19 PM

Sure thing...I would say most modern ships have multi purpose courts for basketball, volleyball, dodgeball, etc..

If you want to know about a specific ship, the line's website would probably be able to tell you for sure.

David from Gastonia February 14th, 2007 06:23 PM

All of the ships that I have been on have them.

Rfujitani February 14th, 2007 07:09 PM

Thank you for your quick responses. Now I'll know to pack an extra pair of basketball kicks!

Now, are they indoors, in a sort of gymnasium? Or are they on deck somewhere? Or does it depend on the ship?

loanshark February 14th, 2007 10:15 PM

They are located outdoors, on the top decks of the ships.

Rfujitani February 15th, 2007 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loanshark
They are located outdoors, on the top decks of the ships.

Oh, that is awesome! I can't imagine what it must feel like, playing some ball with the ocean all around you! I can't wait! Thanks loanshark.

loanshark February 15th, 2007 10:24 PM

Make sure you check before you book, as not all ships have them. Also, the last one that I was on that had a basketball court was the Carnival Glory. It is a half court, and about 2/3 the size of a regular half court.

Rfujitani February 16th, 2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loanshark
Make sure you check before you book, as not all ships have them. Also, the last one that I was on that had a basketball court was the Carnival Glory. It is a half court, and about 2/3 the size of a regular half court.

I will check. And half court is alright with me. Are there usually very many people playing or waiting to play? I'm hoping there will only be a handful of people who are fanatic enough to choose basketball over the other myriad activities offered on the ships.

loanshark February 17th, 2007 11:08 AM

[quote="RfujitaniI will check. And half court is alright with me. Are there usually very many people playing or waiting to play? I'm hoping there will only be a handful of people who are fanatic enough to choose basketball over the other myriad activities offered on the ships.[/quote]

Whether or not several people will be playing is luck of the draw.... one week the court may be packed with people, and the next cruise, it will stay empty all week.

Rfujitani February 21st, 2007 03:22 PM

Ahh okay, got it. I guess I'll just have to get lucky then. Either that or just take a couple of friends and bully our way onto the court. :-P

wmufiji February 22nd, 2007 07:24 PM

As far as the courts being packed, on the RC Navigator, it was never very crowded...and from watching some of the people's "skills"; I don't think it would be very intimidating at all for an average player to jump in. Of course, maybe you are one of the good players that might intimidate others, lol.

Also, I think it is like this on most ships; but they did a good job of keeping the kids off the courts except for certain specific times.

Rfujitani February 22nd, 2007 08:03 PM

Another question springs to mind actually, albeit of lesser importance.

When you're playing ball on the ship, does the "motion of the ocean," so to speak, come into play much? Do you notice any undulations from the waves, or is it pretty level, mostly? And how's the wind factor?

I know, I know, I should just go and find out for myself. But I'm curious, and my cruise isn't until next year, so I have a long time to prepare.

portorstar February 27th, 2007 06:08 AM

I found a photo here for you

http://cruises.about.com/library/gra...ll%20court.jpg

Rfujitani March 14th, 2007 07:37 PM

Oooh, I hadn't seen this update until just today. That looks much better than I anticipated! Glorious! Thank you for the picture. You've made my day. :D