Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2000, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Acceptance on board NO problem

Hi folks,

I posted a note a couple months back about what we could expect in terms of acceptance on board our "straight" cruise on the Rhapsody at the end of October to the Mexican Riviera for 7 days. I'm happy to say we had no problem at all.

We had requested a table for 8 but ended up assigned to a table for 4 with a honeymoon couple in their 40s. The husband was a little standoffish the first night, but I told Art the second night would be the test. We were so pleased to come down for dinner and find that they were still there. From then on out, we got along famously. In fact, our waiter --- who was gay, by the way -- thought we were traveling together 'cause we got along so well. It was also great when we would compare notes on married life, and they we shared the same quirks and differences.

We also found most other people on board just as accepting. I learned the trick of offering to take a couple's photo and then ask them to reciprocate. No one seemed to care in the least. We also had some nice chit-chats over our balocny separator with the couple next door was were in their 50s.

Also, as was noted here, many of the cruise staff are gay or at least gay-friendly. Our waiter was a kick 'cause he was always the height of decorum, but I could always get him to crack up with something I said. He got back at me one night, when he asked how our day was and I replied, "Very tiring." He quickly shot back, "I won't ask why." :-)

Honestly, I enjoyed every minute on board, and would strongly suggest taking a "straight" cruise. I think it's good "gay PR" too. :-)

Harry
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2000, 07:41 AM
Passenger

Default RE: Acceptance on board NO problem

Harry, I am glad that you had such a good experience on the "straight" cruise. My partner and I (we have been together for 19 years) have been on six cruises in the last three years, all of them "straight". We were somewhat hesitant when scheduling our first one. Our dinner companions on that one included two husband-and-wife couples, and one of the couples had two very well behaved children. By the end of the cruise we were all great friends, still exchange Xmas cards, get new pictures of the kids and the like. The second cruise was even better. We met a nice British couple and immediately liked them. We even invited them to visit us in the states for a vacation, which they did last year. Now we are planning on a visit to England. Each subsequent cruise has been rewarded with similar experiences. We always request large tables for dinner in order to meet more people. I have always had the feeling that none of our dinner companions have been exposed to a gay couple. We just act as ourselves, no cover-up and no flaunting. Never have we had a feeling of rejection or snubbing. Next week, we leave on our seventh cruise with another scheduled for May 2001. I expect the same type of experiences on them. I totally agree with you. Their exposure to a positive gay couple helps relations for everyone. All we have to do is make sure that the experience is a postive one.
Thanks for your message. I am sure that it will help others.
Robb
Old December 21st, 2000, 04:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: Acceptance on board NO problem

My lover, and domestic partner, have been on close to 20 straight cruises. We have sailed on Seabourn, American Hawaii and Delta Queen. We have met so many "family members" and quite a few straight couples on each cruise. We still are close friends with almost everyone we met. We have never had a problem with being accepted for who we are on a cruise.
I have never done a "gay cruise" and really don't have an interest. The pricing of the gay cruises seem overpriced and the itineraries are usually in the Caribbean - no interest. Since we live in the Castro in San Francisco, we have more than our share of "family" experiences.
We will be sailing on a 14 day Baltic cruise on July 14, 2001 - Celebrity Galaxy. Anyone else going to be on that sailing? Contact me Buckone2@aol.com